Edge standard (not iv) verandah photo

cruisestitch

2 hours ago, jasm8449 said:

Am I understanding correctly that:

- During window washing in one area of the ship, all balcony windows will be locked.

- While in port, the windows will be locked to prevent birds from flying in. (So if you decide to stay on board, you cannot use your balcony.

- If there is any chance that it might rain, ie. it's overcast, the windows are locked.

You would have thought that in port or in the event of rain the use of balcony windows would be contingent on the folding doors being closed. If the folding doors are open the window closes, if they are closed they stay ope.   It could even be on a timer allowing people to open the folding door for a few seconds to allow entry and exit without the windows closing

Edited by DYKWIA

11 minutes ago, DYKWIA said:

You would have thought that in port or in the event of rain the use of balcony windows would be contingent on the folding doors being closed. If the folding doors are open the window closes, if they are closed they stay ope.   It could even be on a timer allowing people to open the folding door for a few seconds to allow entry and exit without the windows closing

I don't believe the folding doors control anything. They don't even seal off the cabin.... Frankly not sure what they do except perhaps keep birds out of main cabin. I suspect that when in port is when they clean windows... so the question is... do they need to lock up the entire ship for that or could they do a block of cabins at a time. We spend a lot of time in the cabin in port... so not having access to veranda is an issue.

3 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Sitting in my stateroom, on the veranda portion again.  It’s a nice sunny and cooler day.  Yet the window has once again been disabled because of a few clouds.  We cannot open it to let in fresh air.  The stateroom is heating up because of the sun.  Temp set at 68 and room temp is 73.  

And yes, feet propped up on beach ball.  

Is this happening mostly when in port?

2 hours ago, hcat said:

That would be ridiculous., but probably accurate...They must have someone assigned to window duty 24/7!

IAmSea posted:

"I will not go into other dissatisfactions  that we have had in the AQ stateroom until we return, but let’s just say that we are not impressed. And having heard several onboard comments, we are not the only passengers that feel so.  Not only with the staterooms, but with the ship layout, decor, dangerous stairways, numerous levels, lack of lighting, etc.  We hope that things will improve, that can improve.  So I will research final judgement until after the cruise is over."

For the sake of safety can you please identify the stairways you think are dangerous .I wear graduated lens glasses and have trouble seeing well on stairs..Thanks Hcat

In our opinion, almost all.  

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

That’s just awful. I’m assuming, since no one has mentioned it, that they haven’t provided guests with an explanation of their protocols for when they lock the windows, but it would be nice to know. 

Love your beachball. 

2 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Too bad.  How do you know that it has been disabled and not just malfunctioning?

hiw do you like the Edge otherwise?

After the sun was fully out and still no opening of window, we went down to guest services.  Extremely long line today.  They even had a security guard standing by.  I guess in case someone got out of hand with their complaints.  Anyway, we were informed that the windows had not been disabled and that ours must be malfunctioning again.  They would send someone up to fix it.  Two hours later, it was still not fixed.  We ended up going up on deck although we prefer to stay out of the direct sun, and why we enjoy an “open” veranda.  About 2:30 we returned to find that someone had been in the stateroom and the window did go down.  Will now be curious to see if it goes back up this evening.

In. other news, we had a very good lunch in Eden.  We also plan to go their for drinks tonight, but have canceled our reservation for dinner there.  The entertainment vibe is not something we want when dining.  Speaking of canceling, this was done 2 days ago.  We had booked online with our OBC.  That credit is yet to be refunded to our account.  GS said it should show by this afternoon.

It’s a beautiful SEA day and we enjoyed walking around the indoor and outdoor areas of the ship this morning.  We are now enjoying a pleasant afternoon on our veranda with the window down and feet propped up. 🏀  Couldn’t find a beach ball.:classic_biggrin:

Edited by Iamthesea

7 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Sitting in my stateroom, on the veranda portion again.  It’s a nice sunny and cooler day.  Yet the window has once again been disabled because of a few clouds.  We cannot open it to let in fresh air.  The stateroom is heating up because of the sun.  Temp set at 68 and room temp is 73.  

And yes, feet propped up on beach ball.  

I really don’t know how they can call it a veranda/balcony as basically it’s just one end of the room, where there is a different type of flooring with a window in front (and a beach ball if you have one handy :classic_biggrin:).

13 hours ago, hcat said:
49 minutes ago, villauk said:

I really don’t know how they can call it a veranda/balcony as basically it’s just one end of the room, where there is a different type of flooring with a window in front (and a beach ball if you have one handy :classic_biggrin:).

Exactly.  

Like a one room railroad apartment with a window view from the bedroom.

Maybe they will add some fire escapes to the side of the ship so you can get out into the fresh air...

Edited by boscobeans

31 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

DH calls the stateroom a storage unit. I have grown to like it.  I especially enjoy the views from the window  of the sea and sky.  I have taken lots of photos and videos of the stateroom, but will have to wait to post when we return home. 

Interesting, it’s been awhile since we’ve been in a S-Class veranda cabin and I didn’t think it was smaller and thought the bathroom a bit bigger.  But as I said it’s been awhile.  Our two day cruise was chilly so we cracked the IV window 3 or 4 inches and enjoyed sitting out there listening to the surf.  Although we didn’t love the veranda furniture  we found the chairs comfortable.  My husband has a number of back issues and he had no complaints about the chairs.  The table on other hand......

On 12/9/2018 at 9:12 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

The QM2 has what they call “sheltered balconies” and they are within the hull on the lower decks.   These balconies can actually be used on the transatlantic sailings in bad weather.    You can sit outside in bad weather and you won’t get washed overboard by a wave or blown overboard.    Celebrity with its fair weather cruising has no safety reason for these balconies.

We always book these balconies for a TA on QM2 because they allow you to get fresh air into the room but are quite low down in the ship so if the weather is challenging they are quite stable.

We have done 6 TA's and the weather is rarely good enough at sea, IMO, to get much use out of an traditional balcony.

As you say, for fair weather cruising, these look a poor deal.

On 12/10/2018 at 2:45 PM, cruzdude1 said:

We were moved to another cabin on deck 11, better view, but I would never pay for a veranda that was not at my disposal 24/7.

We are in Key West  this morning light rain and they disable the window, can’t sit on the veranda and enjoy the fresh air. I have to leave my veranda an go outside to find a covered outdoor space to enjoy the weather.

So are you saying that you cannot open the window at all if the ship's staff decide that will be so?

I am asthmatic and book a balcony cabin so that I can have access to fresh air in my room if I need to.  Constant aircon plays havoc with my chest.

On 12/9/2018 at 2:03 PM, cruzdude1 said:

We couldn’t be more disappointed. This is the photo of the “upgrade” we received for our guaranteed sunset veranda. Worst accommodations we have ever had. That orange railing carries the magic carpet.  

The window is another cabin. About 55% obstructed view. To make matters worse the veranda window can be disabled by the crew. This turns my veranda into an ocean view room. We have not opened it yet.  I have Always had a veranda because we like to sit out on it at all hours of the day or night. 

Promptly went to guest services to complain. I can see into the other room and they can see into ours!

89D96BA9-C5E6-4C56-BBFD-834798C13CD5.jpeg

Somehow the preview from a year ago, the furniture looked higher quality.

18 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Somehow the preview from a year ago, the furniture looked higher quality.

You were upgraded to an obstructed view cabin.... valid complaint... but the window issue... how do you propose that they clean the windows...just spray into your cabin?

The question I have is why do they need to have all of them shut for hours... couldn't they close off quadrants for say an hour and then move on to the next quadrant? It sounds like they locked down the entire ship. That needs to change. We often stay on the ship in port... so I would understand the windows being closed for a bit... but not for hours. 

After reading about so many issues surrounding the infinite verandas, I am so happy that I booked an aft sky suite for our TA.  All I am disappointed in is the fact that the bed faces the side wall instead of out to the balcony.  Even the rocking chair is said to have more room than the other S1’s.  

Was there just way to much hype for this ship and its infinite balconies or is is just that these do not serve a variety of cruisers and itineraries?  Maybe a combination of both.  It seems like the Caribbean may not be the best fit for these ships.  I am traveling with friends who both have these balconies, so I hope they enjoy them, at least somewhat!

I do feel the pain of those who were excited to cruise on Edge at the beginning, as no one embraces disappointment as something good, but hopefully, many of the issues on this ship can be solved, so they won’t be unpleasant.  It looks like the IV  balconies must  be addressed, one way or another.  Technology for me is always a love/hate relationship.  I guess time will make the decision and their primary destinations...I do hope there are other things onboard that make up for this issue in a positive way!

Edited by Lastdance

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/9/2018 at 4:03 PM, cruzdude1 said:

We couldn’t be more disappointed. This is the photo of the “upgrade” we received for our guaranteed sunset veranda. Worst accommodations we have ever had. That orange railing carries the magic carpet.  

The window is another cabin. About 55% obstructed view. To make matters worse the veranda window can be disabled by the crew. This turns my veranda into an ocean view room. We have not opened it yet.  I have Always had a veranda because we like to sit out on it at all hours of the day or night. 

Promptly went to guest services to complain. I can see into the other room and they can see into ours!

89D96BA9-C5E6-4C56-BBFD-834798C13CD5.jpeg

I was wondering if you could post your comments on the cabin to Edge cabin info..  I think this and your photos of the MC overlapping your cabin, would be helpful to others. Personally I think a lifeboat or davit would have been a better option and would have likely saved you a few bucks as well. Thanks for posting this

We booked a 1A on October 26th 2017 and it was never designated an obstructed view.his is the email we received from Celebrity December 16, 2018.

RE:  Celebrity Edge, Existing Reservations

We are reaching out to you with an important notification from Celebrity Cruises that affects your upcoming sailing.  Recently, Celebrity has made the determination (after the inaugural sailing of the Edge) that Category 1A and 1B staterooms on the Edge are being declared as partially obstructed (obstructions vary by stateroom but are less than 50% for your stateroom, according to the cruise line). 

Since you are currently booked into one of the affected staterooms, Celebrity has added a $200.00/cabin shipboard credit to your reservation.  The shipboard credit is only valid on existing Celebrity Edge reservations (booked with required payment already applied to the reservation prior to Celebrity’s decision).*  We regret any inconvenience but hope this gesture from Celebrity enhances your onboard experience.

Should you wish to explore other stateroom category options, please let us know by calling our Customer Service Department at 800-493-6609.  One of our representatives will assist you by checking current rates and availability.  Guests who choose to move stateroom categories at prevailing rates will not be eligible for the shipboard credit offer.  *No other compensation or offers are being extended for this matter. 

Thank you for your attention to this important notice.

When we registered our disapproval with the cabin and the compensation Celebrity was unwilling to change our cabin or offer increased  compensation. Our travel agent said that if we change cabins Celebrity would charge us at the going rate and would not honor the previous paid cabin rate.

Hal