Edge standard (not iv) verandah photo

cruisestitch

Cruisestitch that is not a balcony cabin it is a 'ventilated porthole'.    Does anyone have a reasonable photo of this type of cabin on an exterior shot please?

Just looking at booking Edge but now undecided on cabin choices.   Found some great photos on https://www.thepreismans.com/edge_pre.htm, have to decide on cabin choice again now. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Ok here’s the window washing stuff and then I’m going to start a new thread about this stateroom because I have a NEWS FLASH!  Can you guess what it is?  Look closely at the second photo

596A241C-AB40-4A77-9338-B1A50EAC75D5.jpeg

91023A44-06A2-474B-B1D1-7D0C3FFBC939.jpeg

Pretty awful and the space is very tight looking...!  Yikes!

Please post cabin info and photo of obstruction on the Vt  EDGE sticky thread

Edited by hcat

15 hours ago, cruzdude1 said:

We couldn’t be more disappointed. This is the photo of the “upgrade” we received for our guaranteed sunset veranda. Worst accommodations we have ever had. That orange railing carries the magic carpet.  

The window is another cabin. About 55% obstructed view. To make matters worse the veranda window can be disabled by the crew. This turns my veranda into an ocean view room. We have not opened it yet.  I have Always had a veranda because we like to sit out on it at all hours of the day or night. 

Promptly went to guest services to complain. I can see into the other room and they can see into ours!

89D96BA9-C5E6-4C56-BBFD-834798C13CD5.jpeg

Wow...worse than the round hull balcony with obstructed view! Is that other cabin the suite with side window? , Also bad!

This cabin should be red flagged as undesireable and be sold at very low fare...Totally riduculous. Sorry you got skunked by X

Hope you can move or get lots of  onbd credit..so you can spend your time elsewhere!

( Have you seen  or heard the MC move yet?)

Please post Cabin no and info on the Vt cruiser sticky on EDGE thread...they can  show pics and this is a beaut!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Wow, thanks for the photos.  How awful!   After seeing these photos, as well as photos and videos of the IVs, not to mention the lack of forward upper deck and forward-facing lounge space open to all passengers, I am starting to conclude that Celebrity has built Edge for people who really don't care about having any connection to the water.  If I want to vacation in a fancy hotel, maybe with a water view, I can do that, but it's absolutely not why I love to be on a cruise ship. 

I just hope they don't mess up the existing ships. 

Interesting.  Celebrity seems to be going in a direction that won't work for me.  One of the things I loved about my week on MSC in the Seaside Yacht Club was the connection to the ocean.  That's one of the reasons I cruise.  The other is that my hotel room moves, not me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, santrah said:

Cruisestitch that is not a balcony cabin it is a 'ventilated porthole'.    Does anyone have a reasonable photo of this type of cabin on an exterior shot please?

Just looking at booking Edge but now undecided on cabin choices.   Found some great photos on https://www.thepreismans.com/edge_pre.htm, have to decide on cabin choice again now. 

If you look at the exterior photos of the ships.... the cabins in question are the ones with the round holes... the bottom half is glass the top is open. They are located in the front and back of the ship.

On most cruises there will always be a bit of rain here and there and I love sitting out on our veranda on one of those warm Caribbean days or nights protected from a gentle drizzle by the usual overhang of the veranda above.  With this IV concept I am worried that rain will be falling INTO what is the combination false veranda and stateroom space. So after a breeze and a gentle rain will we be faced with having a wet or at the least a damp, rained on bedroom floor and wet chairs?  Closing the window at this stage, even with the folding doors closed, will be an added load on the HVAC system just to reduce the humidity. Maybe awnings will be the next bright idea to resolve one of an obvious litany of tremendously expensive design errors. Imagine leaving the window open to listen to the ocean sounds as some do, although not a smart idea, while they sleep.  Imagine waking up after even a moderate rain soaks the floor.  I hope the stewards are prepared for dealing with soaking wet floors.

Besides being unsuited for catching a few rays or enjoying the openness of what has been for years a traditional veranda I wonder if maintenance on these power windows and blinds will prove to be a true headache due to inconvenience for the passengers and constant repair expenses for the cruise line?

The IV's  rely on two electrical motorized systems to function correctly.  These systems are located where??  On the exterior surface of an ocean going vessel where they will be constantly exposed to salt air and even salt spray. Just look at the accumulation of salt on you good old fashioned verandas each morning and from experience how many sliding doors on verandas feel like they are grinding sand after a few years.

I hope the motors, switches and everything else needed to make them function are easy to maintain and or repair.

Edited by boscobeans

I have not been able to find any regular veranda cabins - there are suites and aft facing cabins (SV) that have open balconies.  Otherwise, all seem to be IVs.  Please let me know if there are other type of cabins with open balconies. 

10 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

On most cruises there will always be a bit of rain here and there and I love sitting out on our veranda on one of those warm Caribbean days or nights protected from a gentle drizzle by the usual overhang of the veranda above.  With this IV concept I am worried that rain will be falling INTO what is the combination false veranda and stateroom space. So after a breeze and a gentle rain will we be faced with having a wet or at the least a damp, rained on bedroom floor and wet chairs?  Closing the window at this stage, even with the folding doors closed, will be an added load on the HVAC system just to reduce the humidity. Maybe awnings will be the next bright idea to resolve one of an obvious litany of tremendously expensive design errors. Imagine leaving the window open to listen to the ocean sounds as some do, although not a smart idea, while they sleep.  Imagine waking up after even a moderate rain soaks the floor.  I hope the stewards are prepared for dealing with soaking wet floors.

Besides being unsuited for catching a few rays or enjoying the openness of what has been for years a traditional veranda I wonder if maintenance on these power windows and blinds will prove to be a true headache due to inconvenience for the passengers and constant repair expenses for the cruise line?

The IV's  rely on two electrical motorized systems to function correctly.  These systems are located where??  On the exterior surface of an ocean going vessel where they will be constantly exposed to salt air and even salt spray. Just look at the accumulation of salt on you good old fashioned verandas each morning and from experience how many sliding doors on verandas feel like they are grinding sand after a few years.

I hope the motors, switches and needed to make them function are easy to maintain and or repair.

My point exactly! Wife likes to sleep in I like early morning on the balcony, motor is loud and goes on forever. Seems like a lot of moving parts to break. 

Came in after breakfast, I wanted to go on the balcony, light drizzle so they disabled the veranda window. My veranda once again became an overpriced ocean view. 

Horrible horrible design. Sliding glass door you control when you go out on the veranda. 

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Wow...worse than the round hull balcony with obstructed view! Is that other cabin the suite with side window? , Also bad!

This cabin should be red flagged as undesireable and be sold at very low fare...Totally riduculous. Sorry you got skunked by X

Hope you can move or get lots of  onbd credit..so you can spend your time elsewhere!

( Have you seen  or heard the MC move yet?)

Please post Cabin no and info on the Vt cruiser sticky on EDGE thread...they can  show pics and this is a beaut!

Cabin 10160. 

I thought I would post some shots of other cabins for comparison. The teal cover is on Oasis and the one with the lifeboat is Silhouette and the last cabin is Harmony of the seas. Concerning comments I have seen around CC that the cabin is narrower.... Beds are a standard length... so look at the distance between the bed and the wall. (sorry one of the shots you can not see that). Well having rented a scooter on Harmony... I can tell you the distance was much less than 22"... but on Edge I am told it is just 22"... so scooter does pass. In general the width is within a few inches of each other.  Discussion that the Edge bathroom is cramped... it is actually about 10% larger than their S class bathrooms... The photos are from Oasis (teal tile), Silhouette (brown tile) and the darker tile is Harmony. Toilet vs shower is about the same in terms of location. Finally connection to the Ocean. I can not see how having drapes covering a third of the window ..gives you more connection to the ocean than having none and having no sliding glass structure to impact view. One thing I think they miscalculated.... was the impact of extending the wall to the end on the illusion that the cabin is narrower... also because the wall is thicker than the plexiglass dividers.. it ends up reducing the width of the veranda and the depth is insufficient for a reclining chair. That is a problem that will be tough to solve. In later designs they might beable to take a bit of the cabin to make the veranda a bit deeper.. but width would require major redesign.. not practical. I knew when I first read of the ship that the IV would be an issue for those who like to sit out and enjoy the sun....but as someone who burns quickly... I am looking forward to experiencing this design.  As to railing height. I would be interested in measuring that because I am sure that there are safety requirements on height... but I also suspect that because the veranda is so shallow that by sitting closer to the rail it impacts view more than if you were sitting back another 6-12".  

IMG_2266.jpg

IMG_2265.jpg

IMG_2466.jpg

IMG_2462.jpg

IMG_3077.jpg

IMG_3076.jpg

We were moved to another cabin on deck 11, better view, but I would never pay for a veranda that was not at my disposal 24/7.

We are in Key West  this morning light rain and they disable the window, can’t sit on the veranda and enjoy the fresh air. I have to leave my veranda an go outside to find a covered outdoor space to enjoy the weather.

We ate dinner in Normandie last night, great meal!

1 minute ago, cruzdude1 said:

We were moved to another cabin on deck 11, better view, but I would never pay for a veranda that was not at my disposal 24/7.

We are in Key West  this morning light rain and they disable the window, can’t sit on the veranda and enjoy the fresh air. I have to leave my veranda an go outside to find a covered outdoor space to enjoy the weather.

Now that will be a real issue. My impression initially when reading about the captain being able to control the window... was that this would be used in severe weather. However, since someone pointed out that there is no drain on the veranda... and the concern about wet furniture... and the shallowness of the veranda... I can now see why they close them. But wow... that is a problem! 

Nednrom....yes there are verandah cabins, and there are also sunset verandah rooms.  The verandah cabins are 1A and 1B.  See the photos that started this thread.   They are far forward and far aft.  These are not IV rooms.  The one shown is 8110.  The verandah is tiny by most standards.  Not suitable for lounging or sunbathing.   

Edited by Alakegirl

1 hour ago, cruzdude1 said:

Really glad they moved you.  I have nothing good to say about these balconies.

Verandas that are nothing more than a window that must be closed in the rain to prevent your cabin from getting wet??

Entertainment bordering on a combination of a Yoko Ono street performance and a writhing phantasm from Procol Harum's drug induced  "A Whiter Shade of Pale".

I think that this entire concept, from ship design to entertainment must be thoroughly re-investigated before the next few billion dollar white elephants are created.

At least when Royal Caribbean designed ships with Dynamic Dining in mind and they changed back to a more traditional system of dining the ship didn't need the drastic changes that will be needed to correct some of the pratfalls the designers created which the EDGE is presenting to cruise passengers. 

Let's get back to Celebrity's promise to exceed our expectations rather than to blow our minds...

More staff throughout the ship, a return to better food and menus both in the MDR as well as the specialty venues and a return to common sense stateroom design.

2 hours ago, cruzdude1 said:

I am very glad they moved you.  But wow, they've disabled the window because of some light rain?  I hope this information gets around broadly and quickly.    

Did the folks who designed these IVs, and who approved the design, not speak to a broad range of people who enjoy cruising -- or, at least, what they like about having a veranda?  And what things would be deal-breakers?

20 hours ago, cruzdude1 said:

We couldn’t be more disappointed. This is the photo of the “upgrade” we received for our guaranteed sunset veranda. Worst accommodations we have ever had. That orange railing carries the magic carpet.  

The window is another cabin. About 55% obstructed view. To make matters worse the veranda window can be disabled by the crew. This turns my veranda into an ocean view room. We have not opened it yet.  I have Always had a veranda because we like to sit out on it at all hours of the day or night. 

Promptly went to guest services to complain. I can see into the other room and they can see into ours!

89D96BA9-C5E6-4C56-BBFD-834798C13CD5.jpeg

Appalling that people have designed such a cabin. Even worse that this is sold as an IV and an upgrade from a subset balcony - yeah right

celebrity need to make some urgent changes to  cabins on future ships  otherwise they could risk disastrous future booking levels - they are charging VERY high prices. I can’t see us booking this ship. We would want a regular balcony, but not one like those available on this ship

Were the web team let loose on the cabin design?

18 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

When the Magic Carpet goes up or down do they warn the passengers in the cabins that will be in plain sight along the path, or is that part of the entertainment at the bar ?

From what I read early on in a Q&A... they publish a schedule of MC movement. No passengers are on it when it moves.. not sure about crew.

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

When the Magic Carpet goes up or down do they warn the passengers in the cabins that will be in plain sight along the path, or is that part of the entertainment at the bar ?

mag.JPG

Do you think that there will be passengers riding the Magic Carpet when it is changing decks?

i would think it will be empty when moving.

5 hours ago, kearney said:

Now that will be a real issue. My impression initially when reading about the captain being able to control the window... was that this would be used in severe weather. However, since someone pointed out that there is no drain on the veranda... and the concern about wet furniture... and the shallowness of the veranda... I can now see why they close them. But wow... that is a problem! 

What happens if you are standing, leaning on the top of the open window when the captain wants to override the system?