Entire Deck Flush not working and delayed start by a day - Pride of America 12/22/201

nosheens

Stuck in Honolulu as Pride of America hasn’t started for Maui on 12/22/18. Instead the cruise line is saying that it will reach Maui one day later and instead of two days the ship will dock at Maui only for a day to make up time. Cancelled excursions and screwed up plans....

on on top of that woke up today morning with flush not working in entire Deck 7.... response from guest services is use public toilets on other deck until the problem is fixed... it’s been 5 hours since first reported...

Are  these 2 separate issues?   I'm sure,  the flushing is being worked on?    Sometimes these problems are caused by fellow passengers.    

I hope everything is resolved for you today.   I'm sure you are disappointed.   Hopefully  you've enjoyed Oahu?    

I am sure this is a very disappointing situation for some, but as mentioned flush problems do exist often on ships: I don't mean an everyday common problem but it happens. Being stuck an extra day in Honolulu is a heck of a lot better than being stuck some places I can think of. Let's just hope in the next few hours you are on your way: Have a great remaining cruise and come back with happy stories. The let down you may be feeling now will go away if you try and put it behind you. As for not having any word in for 7 hours, I am not quite sure what they could tell you other than what you already know. 

For those not in the know about "FLUSH" problems it involves the toilet.

After you use the facility - lower the lid to prevent back splatter and then press the small button on the wall.

This engages the vacuum evacuation of the commode.

With the normal stuff that happens it is sucked into a pipe many feet long to other pipes and then into the hold of the ship.

Put something down the commode that doesn't fit doesn't belong commonly like a kids diaper and the system jams up.

Maintenance needs to be called to roto-rooter auger the offending object out of the system either by dragging it

to a service point or pushing back to another access port. Sometimes the offending object must be cut to small pieces

to be removed like a kids plastic toy. There are other hygiene products that can do damage also - need not list them.

When you first check out your cabin digs on embarkation day you will see a sign on the lid of the commode about

what is not to be FLUSHED sometimes the sign is graphic. Failure to follow protocol MAY and does result in disabling

a sewer pipe line affecting a whole section of the ship. Make jokes about this but this is a serious problem especially

if more guests on that pipe line stuff more stuff into the toilet compounding the existing small problem into something

much bigger. It gets down right messy and requires a lot of maintenance people to fix it and clean up afterward.

This may be a small problem with a few guests cabins or with enough clutter and crap in the line shut down a major

portion of the ship. If not fixed right further damage may result leading to more time lost for sailing.

All this may lead to a health concern and thus subsequently a delay in departure to the next port.

The vacuum evacuation system is the same as on modern aircraft only on a larger scale involving many guest cabins.

I have experienced disgruntled passengers doing damage to toilets and this is just short of criminal sabotage.

Unthinking guests delivering a knock-out blow to the system. It is a dirty job that someone has to do but it doesn't

have to be that way. The cruise director may make fun of it but it is NOT !

Like the smoking citation fine - it would be nice if NCL could levy the fine against the one jamming the system but

unfortunately it is a common line and the blame can't be pin pointed unlike the smoking gun.

So now you may have the Paul Harvey the rest of the story about the FLUSH problem if that is what the real problem is.

We had lunch with one of the ship's engineers once and he told us a story of an elderly couple with early stage  Alzheimer's.  One or both of them kept flushing towels down the toilet.  I think he said they had to remove all their towels and replace them with paper towels which weren't much better.

How old is the POA?  Not relevant, just asking.

Edited by gooch47

9 minutes ago, gooch47 said:

We had lunch with one of the ship's engineers once and he told us a story of an elderly couple with early stage  Alzheimer's.  One or both of them kept flushing towels down the toilet.  I think he said they had to remove all their towels and replace them with paper towels which weren't much better.

How old is the POA?  Not relevant, just asking.

Last Drydock: Mar 2016

Year Built: 2005 Years old: 13 Tons: 81000 Speed: 25.0 Length: 921 Beam: 105 Cabins: 1094 Crew: 800 Passengers: 2188 to 2626 Space Ratio: 31 Total decks: 14 Decks with cabins: 8 

The NCL Star had flushing problems on deck 10 starboard side for months from Venice in 2017, unfortunately star staff were told to tell passengers, it was a new problem every time New passengers boarded, that’s a fact..