Glass in food

Deb77

My husband and I went on radiance of the seas to new zealand. He is Australian and had never been on royal carribean before. He and I recieved a decent cabin but the smoke alarm went off waking us up at night once at 2am before 3 days into the cruise they replaced the battery and problem was solved. Then while enjoying our dinner my husband bit into an appetizer tart and found he had bitten down on glass, he pulled it out and staff came and took the glass. He didnt even know if he ingested any, we were scared to death! We were afraid to eat the food, who knows what else they have in it. Glass is bad, we are shocked!!! The final straw was when a dessert cart came flying towards my table as the ship was turning, smashing into a window as i had just luckily got up to look out at the scenery. were very lucky we were not harmed from this nightmare at sea. When i returned i contacted american corporate office to be told here is a coupon off another cruise, ha i wont be needing that, I wont be going on another cruise with them, safety is not serious to royal carribean in my opinion. Jessica at corporate acted uncaring and like no big deal, ummm yes it is. Having food without glass, and being safe at sea is a Big Deal

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Deb77 said:

My husband and I went on radiance of the seas to new zealand. He is Australian and had never been on royal carribean before. He and I recieved a decent cabin but the smoke alarm went off waking us up at night once at 2am before 3 days into the cruise they replaced the battery and problem was solved. Then while enjoying our dinner my husband bit into an appetizer tart and found he had bitten down on glass, he pulled it out and staff came and took the glass. He didnt even know if he ingested any, we were scared to death! We were afraid to eat the food, who knows what else they have in it. Glass is bad, we are shocked!!! The final straw was when a dessert cart came flying towards my table as the ship was turning, smashing into a window as i had just luckily got up to look out at the scenery. were very lucky we were not harmed from this nightmare at sea. When i returned i contacted american corporate office to be told here is a coupon off another cruise, ha i wont be needing that, I wont be going on another cruise with them, safety is not serious to royal carribean in my opinion. Jessica at corporate acted uncaring and like no big deal, ummm yes it is. Having food without glass, and being safe at sea is a Big Deal

We had a mirror fall off our cabin wall and land on us in bed, after midnight. There was broken mirror every where on the floor, on the bed, on the counter, and all over the room.  The good thing was enjoying the scenery on my wife’s side of the bed, otherwise it could have hit me. It took them over an hour to clean up the mess and over a day to replace the mirror. We got a FCC while on the ship.  We decided to use it, and did not even call RC HQ.  

It happens.  

165D0B19-8EDB-4F87-9F72-2B6B8BFBC091.jpeg.465f6a6a95d726ba092d716cea22f929.jpeg

7C267171-A8F1-4F30-B295-5F78BBDAF744.jpeg.70c5dbef9826821650ca223e14761729.jpeg

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 3

Thank goodness that nobody was injured  A&L_Ont. Sadly, "stuff" can happen anywhere.

Woke up from a nap shortly before I read the OP. I thought, "OMG"  after reading the post (" The final straw was when a dessert cart came flying towards my table as the ship was turning, smashing into a window...") - "how long did I sleep"?  I looked at my  phone to check the date. Nope  - not April 1.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Sanz said:

Thank goodness that nobody was injured  A&L_Ont. Sadly, "stuff" can happen anywhere.

Woke up from a nap shortly before I read the OP. I thought, "OMG"  after reading the post (" The final straw was when a dessert cart came flying towards my table as the ship was turning, smashing into a window...") - "how long did I sleep"?  I looked at my  phone to check the date. Nope  - not April 1.

We were good. We called GS from the bed, and once they understood the severity of the situation they sent two guys from the housekeeping crew. They were quite shocked at what they walked in on. That being the damage, not us in bed. 😂

Now for the dessert cart, the ship must have listed severely, or did a power slide, for it to build up that much momentum.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

We were good. We called GS from the bed, and once they understood the severity of the situation they sent two guys from the housekeeping crew. They were quite shocked at what they walked in on. That being the damage, not us in bed. 😂

Now for the dessert cart, the ship must have listed severely, or did a power slide, for it to build up that much momentum.

There IS another possible scenario.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Deb77 said:

Personally I would have called the MaitreD over to confirm the glass and would have taken a photo too as evidence.

RC are usually very good and would offer you compensation on the ship.

I most likely would have had a visit with Food & Beverage Director and Hotel Director.  Most Guest Service reps don't know enough to  "come in out of the rain."  Major waste of my time to talk to most of them.  Different story when you make appointment with Officer in charge of whatever your concern/issue.

Would not have given the glass to wait staff member.  No way.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

I most likely would have had a visit with Food & Beverage Director and Hotel Director.  Most Guest Service reps don't know enough to  "come in out of the rain."  Major waste of my time to talk to most of them.  Different story when you make appointment with Officer in charge of whatever your concern/issue.

Would not have given the glass to wait staff member.  No way.  

Yes, you are correct.  I said GS for lack of remembering the correct department.  Thank you for the correct information.

8 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Ok, dumb question but... does RCI even have dessert carts?  I’m kind of oblivious, but I don’t remember seeing a dessert cart ever?

Good point.  I don't recall any dessert carts. I was going to give the OP the benefit of the doubt, and reiterate what other have said about dealing with the issue while on-board

16 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Ok, dumb question but... does RCI even have dessert carts?  I’m kind of oblivious, but I don’t remember seeing a dessert cart ever?

I only remember seeing one in Giovanni's Table.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vacationlover_mn said:

I'll give the benefit of the doubt on this part... Could be the OP was referring to one of the carts that servers use throughout the meal. The ones they use to go back and forth from the kitchen with dishes. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, OfTheSeasCruiser said:

I'll give the benefit of the doubt on this part... Could be the OP was referring to one of the carts that servers use throughout the meal. The ones they use to go back and forth from the kitchen with dishes. 

Okay, maybe.   But, honestly unless the ship made a very fast turn no way a cart came "flying".  And then, there'd be bigger problems than a cart.  Those things don't move that fast and with a turn it would roll pretty slowly.    We've been in 30 foot seas and never saw a cart roll.

Edited by BND

13 hours ago, Deb77 said:

My husband and I went on radiance of the seas to new zealand. He is Australian and had never been on royal carribean before. He and I recieved a decent cabin but the smoke alarm went off waking us up at night once at 2am before 3 days into the cruise they replaced the battery and problem was solved. 

Dumb question; do the smoke alarms, in the cabin, have batteries. I thought they were electric? 

15 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

We had a mirror fall off our cabin wall and land on us in bed, after midnight. There was broken mirror every where on the floor, on the bed, on the counter, and all over the room.  The good thing was enjoying the scenery on my wife’s side of the bed, otherwise it could have hit me. It took them over an hour to clean up the mess and over a day to replace the mirror. We got a FCC while on the ship.  We decided to use it, and did not even call RC HQ.  

It happens.  

Of course you were. :classic_wink:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

Dumb question; do the smoke alarms, in the cabin, have batteries. I thought they were electric? 

Hopefully the Chief will chime in but I’d think they are hardwired to a control panel in the bridge and engine control room.  That would alert the crew to heat/smoke detection in a cabin and in turn would turn on the sprinklers if needed. I’d think that being a ship on water, they would want immediate and accurate information when time is of the essence, and a dead battery isn’t going to help.

Oasis Class ships are to the point that on a bridge tour they could tell me our cabin temperature from the detector in our cabin. It was 19 degrees Celsius.

50 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Of course you were. :classic_wink:

Had I been at the window the cart could have hit me. 😂

Yes, I found the comment about the battery in the smoke detector to be strange.  The smoke detectors are hard wired to a central panel on the bridge.  However, they don't turn the sprinklers on, what does that is the small plastic "pill" holding the stopper in the sprinkler.  When this melts at a pre-determined temperature, the stopper falls out, and the rain begins.  It will also start to rain when some bright spark decides that the sprinkler head makes a good place to hang a clothes hanger, and breaks the pill.

It's hard enough keeping up with the door lock batteries, let alone if the smoke detectors had them.

As far as finding glass in food, I will say that I have no dog in the hunt with regards to RCI, but my personal feeling is that this could happen on any cruise line, or any restaurant on land as well.  Heck, having made burgers by hand, and cooking them myself on my own grill, I bit down and had a wire stick into the roof of my mouth.  Did this make me stop grilling for ever (never sailing RCI again), or did it make me stop using the wire bristle brush to clean the grill?

17 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, I found the comment about the battery in the smoke detector to be strange.  The smoke detectors are hard wired to a central panel on the bridge.  However, they don't turn the sprinklers on, what does that is the small plastic "pill" holding the stopper in the sprinkler.  When this melts at a pre-determined temperature, the stopper falls out, and the rain begins.  It will also start to rain when some bright spark decides that the sprinkler head makes a good place to hang a clothes hanger, and breaks the pill.

It's hard enough keeping up with the door lock batteries, let alone if the smoke detectors had them.

As far as finding glass in food, I will say that I have no dog in the hunt with regards to RCI, but my personal feeling is that this could happen on any cruise line, or any restaurant on land as well.  Heck, having made burgers by hand, and cooking them myself on my own grill, I bit down and had a wire stick into the roof of my mouth.  Did this make me stop grilling for ever (never sailing RCI again), or did it make me stop using the wire bristle brush to clean the grill?