Odd things to remember

BigProc

On 12/29/2018 at 1:05 PM, Oakman58 said:

Eye glass repair kit.

Although I have never packed an eye glass repair kit, I try to remember to pack a strap for my glasses. I am always worried I will lose them in the ocean when swimming or kayaking. I have quite of few of them now, as I frequently forget to pack them.

After having to buy allergy medicine and cold medicine on the ship, I always travel with a well stocked first aid kit.

If you are cruising with children. I recommend you pack dollar store beach/sand toys.

My biggest takeaway from what to pack threads has been clothes pins. You can get far more bathing suits and wet things on the tiny clothes line with pins than without. They are also good for holding your towel on a deck chair or beach lounger. Although you should not leave things unattended on your balcony, they hold things to your balcony chairs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shanley said:

Although I have never packed an eye glass repair kit, I try to remember to pack a strap for my glasses. I am always worried I will lose them in the ocean when swimming or kayaking. I have quite of few of them now, as I frequently forget to pack them.

I packed a few pairs of sunglasses straps, and I also bought some Shady Rays sunglasses that have a lifetime guarantee, and they'll even replace them if you lose them. I'm going to try not to lose them, but if it happens, no worries. 

On 1/4/2019 at 4:49 PM, Windsorontario said:

Don’t get the tablets. They can turn your mouth black. Google it. I didn’t believe it till I woke up one morning after taking them before bed in Cuba. Thank goodness that a little scrubbing with my toothbrush took care of it. Lol  I had no clue what was going on with me....my girl friends had a good laugh at my expense though🤣

They can also turn your stool black (as will the liquid pepto), but it doesn't cause any damage. 

So many good suggestions! 

For another spot to hang something too heavy for your magnetic hooks,  we take a lightweight 'wreath hanger'.   Made to hang over a door, we have always been able to find another spot in the room to hook it over and hang our jackets or other heavier items like a back-pack.

We also love our packing cubes that organize our suitcases and then do double duty as additional organization on a cabin shelf or in a drawer.  Found some inexpensive ones at IKEA and now we wouldn't travel without them.:classic_cool:

• Like 2

On 1/5/2019 at 2:51 AM, kaymoz said:

Since I learned there is no DIY laundry on any NCL ship,  I am thinking of packing a small wash basin/dishpan to facilitate the laundry process.   

(I know, I know, taking everything including the kitchen sink  😉

We'll be on the road for a week before this ship sails, so getting overdue for laundering, and the thing won't take up much space in my bag since I can pack things inside it. 

And it will be fun to see what other uses we find for it once it's aboard with us!

We just use the bathroom sink.

On 1/6/2019 at 11:55 AM, ArtInMotionPersians said:

We just use the bathroom sink.

Use the sink as well--and bring a flat rubber floppy drain cover ... works great.

DH has been known to stomp on his wet laundry on the sower floor to get the water out, then wring it out.

If we are going to be in port all day--we have big binder clips that we use to clip the wet items on the chair (balcony)

After things are toasty dry when we return.

Use the same binder clip to hold drapes shuts if they are split draw and don't stay closed during the night

There was a footrest in the shower stall on the Breakaway.

Someone mentioned a plastic bag to empty the contents of the refrigerator.  All I did was ask the steward to remove it.  Probably safer than doing it yourself and then having possible disputes.

• Like 1

We bring a lot of items with us, just in case. 

First aid kit ( with some superglue for any open cuts that require something more than a band aid but less than sutures) 

GI preventatives (immodium, pepto, TUMS) 

duct tape ( sailed through Winter Storm Jonas a few years ago, glad we had it, had to tape the closets closed)

stain remover, wrinkle remover

small LED flashlight

small swiss army knife (blade less than 1")

large freezer bags 

plastic clips to hang up swim wear to dry

550 cord (bracelet which contains 25 feet of it, never know when you may need cordage)

extra USB charging cable for cell phones/tablet, etc.  

compression plastic bags for dirty laundry and ease of packing for departure 

water proof backpack for use during excursions (towels, items you don't want to get wet)

spare sunglasses (just in case)

Purell ( Think Noro virus, YUCK) 

Aloe vera gel (helps me when I forget to apply sun block)

travel size clorox wipes (for wiping down surfaces in stateroom)

small waterproof bluetooth speakers for use on beach days and in stateroom 

photo copies of important documents ( Passports/Drivers licenses, also images taken and saved on cell phones)

small notepad, pens/highlighter/sharpie

small non surge protected power strip ( never had a problem bringing one onboard in my carryon)

clip board ( for use during meet and greet/slot pull/poker run)

plastic collapsible cooler for ice in the cabin (we stay in suites that come with booze so we need more ice than what comes in the normal ice bucket in the stateroom)

koozies for our beer cans/bottles while on beach days 

plastic straws ( don't hate - I cant drink a frozen drink without a straw, sorry.)

Maybe this list does't contain a lot of 'odd' things but after 5 cruises and being in situations where you say, "Damn, I wish I had brought ....." Our cruise 'go-bag' continues to grow. 

On 1/12/2019 at 10:03 AM, Vinegarjoe10 said:

Purell ( Think Noro virus, YUCK) 

Most alcohol based hand sanitisers  are ineffective against norovirus.  Soap and water will probably work better.

https://www.romper.com/p/why-wont-most-hand-sanitizers-kill-norovirus-theres-only-one-that-will-36063

I am assuming that the washy washy crew uses the effective kind listed in the link above.

On 12/29/2018 at 9:36 PM, meatball_nyc said:

Plastic bags for PRETZEL ROLLS in the stateroom 😀

What are Pretzel Rolls? Are you talking about saving food from the buffet?

Edited by Fogfog

On 1/4/2019 at 11:51 PM, kaymoz said:

Since I learned there is no DIY laundry on any NCL ship,  I am thinking of packing a small wash basin/dishpan to facilitate the laundry process.   

(I know, I know, taking everything including the kitchen sink  😉

We'll be on the road for a week before this ship sails, so getting overdue for laundering, and the thing won't take up much space in my bag since I can pack things inside it. 

And it will be fun to see what other uses we find for it once it's aboard with us!

You might want to try a collapsable sink like the one below. They pack up to the size of a hockey puck!

https://www.rei.com/product/758048/sea-to-summit-kitchen-sink-5-liter

23 minutes ago, Melody7 said:

You might want to try a collapsable sink like the one below. They pack up to the size of a hockey puck!

https://www.rei.com/product/758048/sea-to-summit-kitchen-sink-5-liter

Clever item. 11 x 4. lightweight

Best Use
Backpacking
Liquid Capacity (L)
Liquid Capacity (fl. oz.)
Material(s)
Nylon
Dimensions
11 x 4
Weight
3.5 ounces

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:34 AM, careyayn22 said:

I recommend Poo-pouri. If you haven’t seen it, it’s an oil-type spray you put in the toilet before pooing and it cuts down on the bad smells a lot. We used it on our last cruise and in our RV.  It’s not cheap, but it lasts fairy long since you only spray it once or twice

I was going to say that.  It works great!  Also take fabreeze and Clorox wipes.  First thing we do when we get to the room is wipe every surface down!  Don't forget the telephone and the TV remote.  Also go out on your balcony (if you have one) and wipe down the railing and the chairs.  It only takes about 10 minutes to do.  I got noro once and I vow never to get it again!

Elvis

4 minutes ago, Elvis1209 said:

I was going to say that.  It works great!  Also take fabreeze and Clorox wipes.  First thing we do when we get to the room is wipe every surface down!  Don't forget the telephone and the TV remote.  Also go out on your balcony (if you have one) and wipe down the railing and the chairs.  It only takes about 10 minutes to do.  I got noro once and I vow never to get it again!

Elvis

In any area open to the general public (cruise cabins, hotel rooms, etc.), those TV remotes are *nasty*.

And they cannot really be "wiped down" well, given all the nooks and crannies, etc.

One useful trick is to drop it into a baggie/ziploc, and then "use as directed".

The only thing I'm not sure of, as technology evolves, is whether any "voice controls" can still be heard/understood by the device.

(I guess we should try that in the "privacy of our own home", with our Xfinity remote and the speak/listen feature.)

GC

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Elvis1209 said:

Elvis

I still don't understand how wiping down your cabin helps.  Once you walk out the door you are immediately in danger of being infected.

40 minutes ago, tonywold said:

One of the most lightweight and best power strips I have found for travel is the donut http://www.mogics.com/3824-2  this has universal adaptors as well as several USB connections.  I have been able to power phones and devices for 3 of us on multiple international trips and the device fits in a pocket of a carry-bag.

Awesome

7 hours ago, Fogfog said:

What are Pretzel Rolls? Are you talking about saving food from the buffet?

Yes. Pretzel rolls (from the buffet) are yummy as a late night snack after a night of drinks. 

A nice snack if you don’t feel like going back out to find food. My son loves them. 

😎

2 hours ago, meatball_nyc said:

Yes. Pretzel rolls (from the buffet) are yummy as a late night snack after a night of drinks. 

A nice snack if you don’t feel like going back out to find food. My son loves them. 

😎

ahh got it

Dont eat late

Your son (in your room) has the munchies after drinking??? :classic_blink::classic_blink::classic_blink::classic_blink::classic_blink:

On 12/29/2018 at 3:15 PM, lyannea said:

An extra pair of reading glasses. Both NCL cruises I’ve taken did not have them in the gift shop and I was told that they no longer carry them. 

The lost & found at the service desk had tons- never had mine turned in

Good thinking! My first cruise I only used readers and wore them on my head when not in use, walked to the stern and a gust of wind took them to a watery grave - next cruise I had two pair with me!

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 5:26 PM, leno said:

I bring a small dental repair kit. It helps if you lose a filling!

I bring one too!! I can't imagine if something happened and I couldn't temp fix mine.

* I separate and put everything in zip lock bags... makeup, toiletries, socks, you name it if it can fix in a bag it goes. keeps me organized.

* small hamper that folds flat from dollar store. Took the suggestion from someone on my last cruise and it was great! 

* car air freshener for bathroom... my 1st cruise my cabin steward told me what a great idea lol

* gin gin ginger candy from amazon. best ever if queasy

* hair products I never use "on land". I'm a hairstylist and on my 1st cruise I didn't even think about needing anything extra until I curled my long hair as usual stepped out side and went flat after 10 minutes. So now I stock up on travel size styling products. And alwaysssssss my shampoo n conditioner. If you have colored or processed hair don't you dare touch the all in one stuff in the shower loll. 

* room list of the others in our group. 1st year trying to figure out where 13 other couples were... not easy lol

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 6:45 PM, BigProc said:

They can also turn your stool black (as will the liquid pepto), but it doesn't cause any damage. 

I've taken it and gone to many bars and the stool has never turned black!  I don't know what you're talking about!!!

Elvis