Room Service Tray in the Hallway

Nymich

I was on HAL recently and people left their tray in the hallway blocking a motorized scooter.  I was lucky to be there so I picked it up to let them get through.  I put the tray back down and went to my room and called inroom dining to come get it.  I really wanted to leave a note on their door but I didn't.  I am amazed at how some people do this especially when they were in a Signature Suite with PLENTY of room!  

• Like 1

My guess is that some people are used to leaving a tray in the hall in hotels so do it on the ship too.  Last time I was on Nieuw Amsterdam in July 2018, the room service menu asked people to call for pick up of dirty dishes.  PLEASE just leave it in the room and call for a pick up of the tray!  I used to leave the tray in the halls in hotels but now realize I should just call for room pick up there as well.  Who wants to see and walk around your mess?  

Thanks!

Edited by oakridger

26 minutes ago, twodjs said:

On the Eurodam, there was a card on the room service tray with specific instructions and saying NOT to put it outside your door.

Exactly! Those little cards are on every in-room dining tray complete with the IRD phone # to call for the pickup. We all know that cruise ship corridors are not the size of Las Vegas hotel corridors. Besides the obvious difficulties a serving tray placed on the floor of the public corridors present to someone on a scooter, imagine a fire alarm going off, a real fire and/or a blackout with fire team members, "masked up" and "on air" from their SCBA bottles having to come through that smoke filled corridor trying to avoid traipsing on those same trays.

Wake up people and take twenty seconds out of your life to make that phone call to have those trays picked up from inside your room. Once again, common sense

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Wake up people and take twenty seconds out of your life to make that phone call to have those trays picked up from inside your room. Once again, common sense

C-om-m-o-n sense??  I've never heard this word before.  How does it work?  /s

• Haha 2

Carnival specifically asks guests to put trays in the hallways.  Lots of discussion on that topic on John Heald’s site.  Makes little sense, but maybe these passengers were used to other cruise line policies.

11 hours ago, Nymich said:

I was on HAL recently and people left their tray in the hallway blocking a motorized scooter.  I was lucky to be there so I picked it up to let them get through. 

You were a lot nicer than I might have been. I might have been pounding on their door (waking them up, if necessary) to ask THEM to move it.
I have used a scooter on many cruises, now mainly using a rollator, and I know how difficult it is just getting by someone who is walking! I come in very early on the last night because I am afraid the luggage will block me.

8 hours ago, twodjs said:

On the Eurodam, there was a card on the room service tray with specific instructions and saying NOT to put it outside your door.

Not on our recent Eurodam sailing (16 December). Seems to to an inconsistently applied practice..

We always call to have our tray picked up!

even in the evening will have PG dinner in room and will call for them to pick up and they are there quickly! We helped a women trying to get to her room on a scooter and had to move the tray away from a stateroom so she could get by! Luckily a officer was going by saw us helping and called a manager to get it picked up! The people who had the tray outside there door opened it up and boy did the officer let them know!! He even picked up the cars on their tray and asked “don’t you read!” They even saw the lady on her scooter who said if we did not come by she would of had a problem!

Denise😊

• Like 1

Having been on several HAL cruises now it was always known to us not to put the trays out there.  Whether it was on the menu or on a card on my room service tray we have always known that.   On a positive note it was the only tray I saw the entire cruise.  

1 hour ago, iancal said:

Hallways  are fire routes.  It bothers me when I see them blocked by any unattended item.  Same for hotels.

Royal Caribbean and Princess always have their steward carts blocking the hallways.  When I mentioned to the Neptune Concierge about how happy I was to see no carts in the hallways, she mentioned the fire hazard.

1 hour ago, knittinggirl said:

I also call to have them remove the tray.

While we're on the subject of stuff in the hallways, something needs to be done about leaving the scooters in the hallway.  Back with the arthritic hip, getting past those scooters was very painful.

The scooters that I object to are the ones parked outside the elevators, or at the top of the stairs, and plugged into the powerpoint. So dangerous in an emergency.

13 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Exactly! Those little cards are on every in-room dining tray complete with the IRD phone # to call for the pickup. We all know that cruise ship corridors are not the size of Las Vegas hotel corridors. Besides the obvious difficulties a serving tray placed on the floor of the public corridors present to someone on a scooter, imagine a fire alarm going off, a real fire and/or a blackout with fire team members, "masked up" and "on air" from their SCBA bottles having to come through that smoke filled corridor trying to avoid traipsing on those same trays.

Agree, always before there has been a card, but on our recent cruise on Koningsdam there was not and saw nothing stating this on room service menu either. But possibly I missed it as we ordered room service from MDR Gala night menus  Did this both Gala nights.  Of course we knew to call for tray pickup from past HAL cruises, but definitely no card stating this on room service tray this time. I was a little surprised because new HAL cruisers might not know to do this.

Jane

7 minutes ago, jabcruiser said:

Of course we knew to call for tray pickup from past HAL cruises, but definitely no card stating this on room service tray this time. I was a little surprised because new HAL cruisers might not know to do this.

Thanks to this thread I know to do this on our first HAL cruise.

1 minute ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

Probably the same people who wear robes to the lido. 

My Mama taught me better. Rest assured I won't let DH do this either.

One evening when we were sailing on the Maasdam  last year, I was walking along our hallway, when crew members came running along the hallway, pushing an emergency trolley.   

Trays left on the hallway floor cause an unnecessary obstruction  in such a situation.

55 minutes ago, erewhon said:

One evening when we were sailing on the Maasdam  last year, I was walking along our hallway, when crew members came running along the hallway, pushing an emergency trolley.   

Trays left on the hallway floor cause an unnecessary obstruction  in such a situation.

The medical folks call. that a "crash cart"and it's an essential part of the first responders'equipment to onboard  medical emergencies 

I was in a hi rise building that had a fire alarm.  We all had to hurry down a smokey hallway and then down the fire escape.

I cannot imagine doing his with trays on the floor, and unattended service carts or mobility scooters parked in the hall.   I can only assume that the cruise lines forbid or heavily discourage this.

Edited by iancal