Carnival to charge for all room service!

GROUCHPUSS

I too am disappointed in this... we sometimes use room service for breakfast, but never other than that... however we're taking a few first time cruisers on our next cruise and I was looking forward to telling them they could just order from the room service menu any time, as long as they picked the no charge items, any time during the day! Oh well!

• Like 1

I am not a Carnival cheerleader, but I have cruised more with Carnival than with any other line.  Why?  Affordability.  My first cruise was in 1995 on the Fascination, and the base fare I paid then was not much less than I'm paying now, 23 plus years later.  In order to keep those  base fares as affordable as possible, the balance of Carnival's earnings has to come from other sources.  The amounts they will be charging are minimal and will help to keep cruising affordable for those who might not be able to afford it if cruise prices were to rise at the same rate as some other types of travel.

I look at it this way. Carnival has kept the overall cost of the cruise pretty low.  In doing so some optional items such as room service now have a small fee.  Guess what this fee will effect a lot fewer people then what rising the price of cruises would.

CCL seems to becoming less and less appealing, and not just this RS situation. I love it when Carnival cheerleaders say "They are just keeping up with the times", Thats a bunch of bull. Why not be your own company and stop trieing to keep up with the Jones. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FSHLOT said:

CCL seems to becoming less and less appealing, and not just this RS situation. I love it when Carnival cheerleaders say "They are just keeping up with the times", Thats a bunch of bull. Why not be your own company and stop trieing to keep up with the Jones. 

There are a lot of other options out there for you....(ps...you might find they do all things also....but to each their own).

15 hours ago, audcc77 said:

I never really minded if hot food showed up at my door “room temp.”   Meh, what are you going to do?  Ask for a refund?

That changes now. 

That is VERY true! Long wait time... ask for refund... food not GOOD .... refund. They will be dealing with this I am sure and reduced tips. Not saying I will be doing this but people do expect better if actually paying $$$. 

• Like 2

Bottom line: less food in the halls, fewer dishes lining the halls, substantial reduction in wasted food, people might move more (exercise) if they have to fetch from Lido for themselves, still free breakfast when I want it, and paying $2-$5 dollars for someone to bring me something when I don't want to do the aforementioned moving is a drop in the bucket. And yes, I will still tip for the service the person is giving me.

This charge is a direct result of passengers' habits of waste. I can still find plenty of included food throughout the ship. Not going to go hungry.

And I will keep cruising. :)

• Like 2

I find it interesting that some of the people who comment on how awful it is to charge $4 for a PBJ have no problem shelling out $6.50 for a beer or $7.50 for a mixed drink. I'll grab an extra milk off the Lido to put in my fridge and pick up a plate of cookies for a late night snack.  No angst for me.... I'll be on vacation!

Edited by LadyMac72
  • Like 2

Happy New Year everyone.😎 Everyone has their opinion and I don't bash them and here is mine. Trays & food will still be in hallway from food they brought back now, sadly tipping will probably go in the included price for a good percentage of people. We too agreed that certain terms and limitations were what they were, when booked. Sadly Carnival position in the small print is that they reserve the right to possibly ruin, (pending on the change) your vacation however and whenever they like. Agreed, we all booked on the assumption that no company would be that conniving,  but we were wrong. It is funny on the notice on some of this, service fee came with some notice and an option to pay the old rate, per drink limit not so much, but to what I hear didn't affect too much either, but the bubbles notice overnight pretty much and the two weeks notice for room service fee, is another pure genius,🤡, concoction of someone with no thought of the potential repercussion or anything aside from the all mighty dollar. How is it Carnival, that you can sleep at night when you want customers to commit 75 days before cruise with no refund there after, but you can change terms in 14 days or less. As a suggestion Carnival, if one is within the final payment date with no changes or refunds permitted, then maybe you as a company stipulating this should abide by the same rules giving the customer the option to cancel should they feel the need to. As in, within 75 days, original terms when booked will be grandfathered. None of this bate and switch crap.  Again, I appreciate those whose opinion is different and we ask for the same respect. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, coevan said:

you do not punish a server for a kitchen problem, if you food is not prepared correctly it is not the servers fault, send it back but it anyway

Again I said that I probably would not, but I am saying that there WILL be many that will reduce or not tip the couple dollars. Which is not fair to the servers, which are already working at a slaves pay and counting on the tips. But if they are going to charge for the service, than they can use that money to pay the servers? 

If we use room service, it's pretty much only for coffee and pastry in the morning (an appetizer to head later to breakfast LOL).  On the cruises we've been on, I do see an awful lot of wasted food sitting outside the rooms - that folks order and then don't bother to eat it.  Maybe if they are paying for it, they will waste less.

I don't see what is fun about paying extra for food that used to be included in the fare. A nominal automatic gratuity fee should have been enough in lieu of a la carte pricing. I remember when I used to order room service there were no fees at all unless if you got a soda or a beer. I would simply give the waiter a tip and that would be it.

2 hours ago, caribcruizer said:

Happy New Year everyone.😎 Everyone has their opinion and I don't bash them and here is mine. Trays & food will still be in hallway from food they brought back now, sadly tipping will probably go in the included price for a good percentage of people. We too agreed that certain terms and limitations were what they were, when booked. Sadly Carnival position in the small print is that they reserve the right to possibly ruin, (pending on the change) your vacation however and whenever they like. Agreed, we all booked on the assumption that no company would be that conniving,  but we were wrong. It is funny on the notice on some of this, service fee came with some notice and an option to pay the old rate, per drink limit not so much, but to what I hear didn't affect too much either, but the bubbles notice overnight pretty much and the two weeks notice for room service fee, is another pure genius,🤡, concoction of someone with no thought of the potential repercussion or anything aside from the all mighty dollar. How is it Carnival, that you can sleep at night when you want customers to commit 75 days before cruise with no refund there after, but you can change terms in 14 days or less. As a suggestion Carnival, if one is within the final payment date with no changes or refunds permitted, then maybe you as a company stipulating this should abide by the same rules giving the customer the option to cancel should they feel the need to. As in, within 75 days, original terms when booked will be grandfathered. None of this bate and switch crap.  Again, I appreciate those whose opinion is different and we ask for the same respect. 

You say this perfectly! 

• Like 2

On 12/31/2018 at 8:05 PM, Djptcp said:

This is very disappointing as DH and I used room service every  morning for breakfast and I used it most days for lunch, although I usually ordered items for lunch that had a charge. DH goes to the Lido to bring back hot items for breakfast to go along with the items we order from room service like bagels and cream cheese. We bring lox from home and keep it in the mini fridge since we can't get it from room service anymore. With the light blue ink I couldn't really read the prices of the new room service menu even after enlarging it. Oh well, we'll see it in April on our Miracle cruise. We are sailing on Holland America in February in a Neptune Suite again and their room service breakfasts offer hot egg and meat dishes, salmon eggs benedict, and free mimosas (free for Neptune and Pinnacle Suites). I wonder if HAL will also start charging for room service?

Continental breakfast items are still free.

Lucky you guys aren’t in Australia... we already had this charge (even for breakfast i believe) and it’s much more expensive than the prices listed. Also your cruise is just generally cheaper AND we can’t get cheers. 

Still, no complaining from me. They gotta do what they gotta do. It’s not like anybody is going to starve onboard because of it. 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2019 at 6:01 AM, Thorncroft said:

Not true. The system can handle any kind of tp that you use in your home, but if you like your splinters, you can keep your splinters. 

This is not correct.

Use the supplied Toilet paper please and refrain from flushing any other material.

regards,

Despegue

Captain 

On 12/31/2018 at 6:48 PM, 2Shoes2Go said:

Less waste and trays in the hallway.

We seldom use RS, but happy coffee and danish are still available.

I'd have to be deathly ill to use Room Service, honestly.

I hate seeing waste and trays out in the hallways!

Sometimes it sits there for hours, looking awful.