Beware RCCL

Had wonderful time aboard Allure this summer. Booked on board the Symphony and got a booking bonus of $100 OBC.  We just changed the date of our Symphony sailing, same cabin and RCCL charged us $100 /pp change fee and took away our $100 OBC bonus.  Please be aware !  A $300 penalty!

Obviously you did not read your terms and conditions.

1) You booked a non-refundable fare.  Any change of ship OR sailing date will cause you to loose $100 per person of the deposit. Clearly stated.

2) Any OBC from a deal, such as booking on board, it subject to lose from changing the booking.  Again, clearly stated.

NOT RCCL fault that you did not do YOUR homework.

Op- the last we booked on  board with this  policy (and it was a while ago) the agent made us sign a document that we were aware of the change penalties. If that document was NOT provided to you, you might be able to recover some of your money. 

Good luck 

m

When we were on Allure, we did arrange a booking for June of 2019.  The representative from Royal Caribbean clearly outlined what we were booking and we even had to sign a paper, I think, that said we understood we were booking a non-refundable deposit.  We were told we could make some changes within 30 days and that was no charge.  Changes after that incurred a charge.  That's pretty self explanatory to me.  Changing dates is basically canceling one cruise and booking another.

I felt the representative was extremely thorough in her explanation.  I can not find the paper she gave me, but I do remember it stated it was a non-refundable deposit.  I'm sure you had to have been given some kind of paperwork and perhaps if you review that, you will see where it states it's not a refundable deposit (booking onboard deposit was $100).

Can not find a copy of that paper either. But did just discover a price drop on cabin  of $574. You all sound like lawyers. We just want to bring this to everyone 's attention, not very many cruisers on vacation will take the time to read all the terms and conditions. We all can expect some sort of penalty when it may come to refunds, but not with date changes. I am sure you were not told you would lose your $100 booking bonus if you changed your date. By our advertising this on this CC board, we are hoping our fellow cruisers will be more aware of the pitfalls of booking cruises with ALL cruise lines.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Teacher42 said:

Can not find a copy of that paper either. But did just discover a price drop on cabin  of $574. You all sound like lawyers. We just want to bring this to everyone 's attention, not very many cruisers on vacation will take the time to read all the terms and conditions. We all can expect some sort of penalty when it may come to refunds, but not with date changes. I am sure you were not told you would lose your $100 booking bonus if you changed your date. By our advertising this on this CC board, we are hoping our fellow cruisers will be more aware of the pitfalls of booking cruises with ALL cruise lines.

Our experience has been that they are pretty good about saying that the penalty is incurred when canceled, ship is changed, or sailing date is changed.

The problem with so many of these boards, many of the readers are "cruise experts" who relish giving crap to people who try to provide other readers information which they may not be aware of.  You have seen a slew of these "experts" with their rude and non productive comments.

You raise a very valid point that even a DATE change will result in an additional Royal screwing ($100 + $100 + loss of OBC).........Royal continues to change all of the rules to benefit them financially, and NOT their "loyal" customers.  Over the past several years they have become more and more like the airlines, charging for everything but the air that you breath. I am sure that they will continue down this path causing many of their smart, loyal customers to look elsewhere....

Thank you for your post.     

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, Teacher42 said:

The paper  we signed was kept by the next cruise agent. If should be on file. We were clearly told of the changing penalties.

We looked into a next cruise booking on a recent cruise to see if the rules had changed. They had not. We didn’t bother. 

Hope you were able yo get your price drop. 

M

1 hour ago, Teacher42 said:

Had wonderful time aboard Allure this summer. Booked on board the Symphony and got a booking bonus of $100 OBC.  We just changed the date of our Symphony sailing, same cabin and RCCL charged us $100 /pp change fee and took away our $100 OBC bonus.  Please be aware !  A $300 penalty!

Just in case you are not aware, if you change the ship or sail date again you will be charged another $100pp penalty.

Dear Mol, was that told to us as well at time of booking? Was this advertised, that any change after November 1 would lose OBC in the terms and conditions, did the future cruise representative tell us of this future action as well at time of booking? I do not recall, let alone remember what I had for dinner last night.

3 minutes ago, Teacher42 said:

Dear Ram , My Hero, thank you.

Thanks for the compliment but I get so tired of all the comments berating people who just want to vent or point out what they have experienced.  Usually the experts have a TON of posts - most are valid posts, but some think that they know it all - happy cruising! 

• Like 2