Beware RCCL

7 minutes ago, Ramjet1997 said:

Thanks for the compliment but I get so tired of all the comments berating people who just want to vent or point out what they have experienced.  Usually the experts have a TON of posts - most are valid posts, but some think that they know it all - happy cruising! 

I don't care for rudeness either but half the people on this page are very experienced cruisers, knowledgeable and give accurate info.

Teacher42...Happy New Year.

A new year, and a couple of new lessons for us...1. pay attention when booking onboard. 2. We are thankful to a lot of members here...but be careful of what you post and be prepared for responses.  Thank you for posting.

A new year, and a couple of new lessons for us...1. pay attention when booking onboard. 2. We are thankful to a lot of members here...but be careful of what you post and be prepared for responses.  Thank you for posting.

Thanks for the heads up Teacher.

Obviously thems the rules, but $100pp for any change does seem grossly excessive, as does the OBC loss.

While an admin charge of some kind is fair, these are penalties which are hardly conducive to looking after or keeping customers who are forced to make a change for whatever reason, imho.

13 hours ago, Teacher42 said:

Had wonderful time aboard Allure this summer. Booked on board the Symphony and got a booking bonus of $100 OBC.  We just changed the date of our Symphony sailing, same cabin and RCCL charged us $100 /pp change fee and took away our $100 OBC bonus.  Please be aware !  A $300 penalty!

When you changed the sail date, did the representative you spoke with advise you of the change fee? If not, you have a legit gripe. No recourse but a good reason to be annoyed. You should have been advised as the the change fee as well as the loss of the OBC when changing the sail date.

Just my experience but all of my cruises have been booked via Royal by phone and the agent has always been very diligent going over the price detail breakdown to the point of sending me an e-mail while I'm on the phone and then going over it together.  I guess I've always been lucky.

14 hours ago, Ramjet1997 said:

The problem with so many of these boards, many of the readers are "cruise experts" who relish giving crap to people who try to provide other readers information which they may not be aware of.  You have seen a slew of these "experts" with their rude and non productive comments.

You raise a very valid point that even a DATE change will result in an additional Royal screwing ($100 + $100 + loss of OBC).........Royal continues to change all of the rules to benefit them financially, and NOT their "loyal" customers.  Over the past several years they have become more and more like the airlines, charging for everything but the air that you breath. I am sure that they will continue down this path causing many of their smart, loyal customers to look elsewhere....

Thank you for your post.     

A DATE change is still cancelling a cabin on one sailing, and booking a cabin on another. Since cabins are the cruise line's inventory, should they not have a way to manage it? It's hard to manage supply and demand if they allow their customers to randomly change what they have without consequence.

I also don't know of many companies who structure their business model to favor the customer and "screw" themselves...oh..that's because those companies have gone out of business.

While I also don't appreciate rude or smug responses, I am always baffled when people imply a company should bend over backwards for them, ignoring any contracts they signed, at the expense of being profitable.

Edited by payitforward

16 hours ago, Teacher42 said:

We booked a Grand Suite.

ALL full suites (GS and above) are non-refundable deposits.

When we booked a GS on board, they were very clear about this.

15 hours ago, Ramjet1997 said:

The problem with so many of these boards, many of the readers are "cruise experts" who relish giving crap to people who try to provide other readers information which they may not be aware of.  You have seen a slew of these "experts" with their rude and non productive comments.

You raise a very valid point that even a DATE change will result in an additional Royal screwing ($100 + $100 + loss of OBC).........Royal continues to change all of the rules to benefit them financially, and NOT their "loyal" customers.  Over the past several years they have become more and more like the airlines, charging for everything but the air that you breath. I am sure that they will continue down this path causing many of their smart, loyal customers to look elsewhere....

Thank you for your post.     

Royal makes this (date change) VERY clear when you book.  This has been a function of the non-refundable deposit from DAY ONE of the program.

As has been stated, they make people sign a paper that they understand the terms.  

Maybe people don't read the terms and conditions.  But if you are presented a document to sign, so you just sign it without reading it?   If so, I have a simple document for you to sign, nothing to worry about, just a durable power of attorney.......

15 hours ago, Teacher42 said:

Dear Mol, was that told to us as well at time of booking? Was this advertised, that any change after November 1 would lose OBC in the terms and conditions, did the future cruise representative tell us of this future action as well at time of booking? I do not recall, let alone remember what I had for dinner last night.

So based on the comments from most of us, you WERE told, but you forgot, and now it is some big conspiracy by Royal to defraud you.  When you were told up front.

REALLY????

2 hours ago, BillieJeanKaraokeKing said:

Thanks for the heads up Teacher.

Obviously thems the rules, but $100pp for any change does seem grossly excessive, as does the OBC loss.

While an admin charge of some kind is fair, these are penalties which are hardly conducive to looking after or keeping customers who are forced to make a change for whatever reason, imho.

It is the terms that you book under.

For most cabins, there is a cost difference, such that the non-refundable is low enough that canceling or changing once or twice and you are still ahead.

For suites, non-refundable was instituted due to many people booking 3 or more suite booking (some admitting to have up to 10 bookings), when they knew all but one would be canceled.  So the suites were blocked from booking by people who were planning on sailing in them.

But still, when you look at full suite prices, $100 pp is a minor expense.

• Like 1

So what exactly happens if you book a nonrefundable airline ticket?

Does the airline let you switch the date or the time or the plane for free?  Nope.  

A $100 change fee on a $300 airline ticket is outrageous, but accepted all the time because that's just the way it is.  Why do you insist that a $100 change fee on a $3000 cruise ticket is unreasonable?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Ramjet1997 said:

It’s off-putting and disheartening to see someone beat down on a travel board. I’ve seen this too many times. I’m done with CC for 2019.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, SteelMagnolia9 said:

It’s off-putting and disheartening to see someone beat down on a travel board. I’ve seen this too many times. I’m done with CC for 2019.

There does seem to be a lack of grace in some of the replies.   It's a shame because is it discouraging for new cruisers and must drive some folks away.  I frequent twitter, so the tone on CC still seems mild to me, but it is less than welcoming occasionally.

I sometimes have to remind myself not to add to the dog pile.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Teacher42 said:

Dear Ram , My Hero, thank you.

Teacher42, I think that you are a bit "touchy."  You are acting like everyone attacked you.  Yet if you read posts 2, 3, and 5, there's nothing "snarky" at all in them, yet you answer in a very sarcastic way in posts 6, 11, and 12. You might want to not be outraged by comments if you are going to go after very reasonable explanations for your situation in a sarcastic way.  

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, Teacher42 said:

Unfortunately we did not have our more savvy TA aboard with us, to be advised.

Standard procedure at Next Cruise is to have you sign a document that you understand the fare is non refundable.   

There may be a 30 day change rule that applies.  I've done that once recently.  It was a JS, not a full suite

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Thanks 1

The OP posted some info that may be of benefit to help others to not fall into the same trap. Yup, they missed out on some important info when making the booking. Maybe their posting will be of help to someone. But there is always someone here that has to pull of the salt shaker and rub it in.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, oddly excitered said:

I have been really trying to find something to book on board our February sailing on anthem but it doesn't seem like there are any real benefits in doing so. I feel like $100 obc is not sufficient compensation and most all TAs offer better!

You can book on board and transfer to a TA and get both sets of perks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

It's not only the loss of OBC, but with the T & C  impact  (penalties) regarding any changes. However, this does not apply to any price reductions.

Edited by nelblu

31 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The OP posted some info that may be of benefit to help others to not fall into the same trap. Yup, they missed out on some important info when making the booking. Maybe their posting will be of help to someone. But there is always someone here that has to pull of the salt shaker and rub it in.

The problem is (in this case, others on CC and other websites, and IRL) people want to blame others for their mistakes.   The OP says to "beware" and that RCI "screwed" them.  But that's not really the case.  Let me rewrite the OP...

"We were on Allure this summer and had a wonderful time.  While we were on board, we booked a future cruise on Symphony and got a booking bonus of $100 OBC.  We had to change the dates of our sailing, and since we had booked a GS, the deposit was not refundable.  We had to pay a $100pp change fee AND lost the OBC.   That sucks, but is the hazard of booking a non-refundable deposit.  Make sure you pay attention to what you're booking so you don't make the same mistake we did."

• Like 9

21 hours ago, Ramjet1997 said:

Thank you for your post.     

This.  SO much this.  I think the majority of us feel the same way.  Thank you, Ramjet!

And, thanks to the OP for the heads up.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KatWoman92 said:

This.  SO much this.  I think the majority of us feel the same way.  Thank you, Ramjet!

And, thanks to the OP for the heads up.  

Not sure about that majority. Perhaps a less provocative thread title and some posts that focused on process rather than blame would help. 

If if there’s a message here, it is before making a large deposit one must understand specifically under what conditions it may be refunded.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, El Abuelo said:

Not sure about that majority. Perhaps a less provocative thread title and some posts that focused on process rather than blame would help. 

If if there’s a message here, it is before making a large deposit one must understand specifically under what conditions it may be refunded.

I rest my case.  🙄

Dear HB,. We are both at the point in our lives that we do not remember what we both ate for dinner last night. But we did check and did receive a price reduction from the time of booking, June or July, to December of $574 on the Grand Suite cabin, which softens the bite we got of $300 change fee and loss OBC bonus. We consider ourselves lucky in this regard. But what about the thousands of passengers like us that will fall victim to these cruise line practices. First they entice you with a low deposit,when you sit down and spend the time to go through dates, itinerary, placement of cabins, then availability of the cabin you pick out,  followed by price of cabin, then 'sticker shock' at the price of the cabin, you look at each other and say " but we are having such a good time, let's go for it!" After saying yes so many times, how can you start to say "no"? "Oh,but sir the deposit is $500 for this category, etc,etc..."

Booking a cabin on board RCCL is not as passenger friendly as their sister organization Celebrity. Perhaps that is why we are being so attacked on this thread by all the travel agents . We are being 'locked' into the 'sale' . They love it !  These TAs become 'defense  lawyers' for their beloved RCCL. Passengers have to realize booking a cabin on board some cruise lines is like buying a car with the tactics they are now employing.  Thank you for all you consideration.

Edited by Teacher42
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1