Cost of Coffee cards

Photofinish4

3 minutes ago, Photofinish4 said:

The web site says you save 20 percent on cards purchased prior to cruise. $36 plus Does anyone know what the cards are running onboard?

No if you buy the coffee package you save 20% versus buying them individually.  

There is no discount pre cruise or otherwise.

How much is a cup of brewed coffee in the IC?   i have always bought coffee cards, because I don't drink any specialty coffees my card wouldn't be punched.  Then, on the next cruise I could use it to buy brewed coffee with each of the 15 punches.   But, with that going away, I might be better off to just pay for my cup of coffee.  

3 hours ago, wrongwaywatson said:

How much is a cup of brewed coffee in the IC?   i have always bought coffee cards, because I don't drink any specialty coffees my card wouldn't be punched.  Then, on the next cruise I could use it to buy brewed coffee with each of the 15 punches.   But, with that going away, I might be better off to just pay for my cup of coffee.  

Since you don't drink any specialty coffee I would suggest simply paying for your coffee as the fresh-brewed coffee is the cheapest item on the list. Of course if you want to get triple espresso... :classic_biggrin:

3 hours ago, wrongwaywatson said:

Varies by type of drink.  It has always been a good deal for me because I like blended mocha which is one of their more expensive choices.

If you only drink brewed coffee each day probably not worth it, if you drink multiple then you would probably come out ahead.  You can always treat friends to specialty drinks.

Edited by RDC1

14 hours ago, Photofinish4 said:

The web site says you save 20 percent on cards purchased prior to cruise. $36 plus Does anyone know what the cards are running onboard?

The cost is US$35.65 which includes the 15% beverage gratuity. Same on board as pre-purchase. The 20% is an estimate based on an average cost of 15 espresso drinks. Basically I figured that with the card you get 15 espresso drinks for the price of 12 plus unlimited brewed coffee and special teas. The package expires when the voyage is over.

Note: free coffee is available all day and evening in the buffet. If you are on one of the Royal Class ships the free coffee is prepared from grounds and not bad. On older ships the free coffee is prepared from a liquid concentrate, not so good, but acceptable. If brewed coffee is your thing try the free stuff before purchasing the package. Tea is also free in the buffet.

"Enjoy 15 espresso-based hot or cold specialty coffee drinks with complimentary brewed coffee and premium tea for the duration of your cruise." 

10 minutes ago, wrongwaywatson said:

I think anyone can use the specialty "punches", but only the card bearer can use the brewed  coffee.   I don't like anything except the brewed.   I didn't mind buying one, when I could use it over 2 cruises for brewed.  

There is no longer a coffee card issued. It is loaded on to your cruise card. It is not quite as good as it used to be. I used to buy them for the unlimited brewed coffee, but never used 15 punches. I have 1 unused card and 1 with about 1/2 of the punches used. I have 2 cruises booked prior to 8-31, so I should be able to use them up. I probably will not buy any more, since now they expire at the end of your cruise.

13 minutes ago, TravelingEA said:

There is no longer a coffee card issued. It is loaded on to your cruise card. It is not quite as good as it used to be. I used to buy them for the unlimited brewed coffee, but never used 15 punches. I have 1 unused card and 1 with about 1/2 of the punches used. I have 2 cruises booked prior to 8-31, so I should be able to use them up. I probably will not buy any more, since now they expire at the end of your cruise.

Yes, I know.  That's why I said I needed to figure out how much a single cup of coffee costs.  I love coffee and I drink it in the morning and again in the evening.   I only bought the card, because I could use it freely the first cruise and then for punches the second.  Now that it expires on your cruise, it won't be a good deal.

I think coffee is $ 1.75. On the Royal and Regal, the buffet coffee is brewed coffee and it is “okay”. On the bulk of Princess ships the coffee is from a syrup concentrate, so you might consider bringing individual freeze dried coffee packets, available at the supermarket. (I learned this from another cruiser) 

i have not needed the packets, but I did try them out at home. 

2 hours ago, wrongwaywatson said:

Yes, I know.  That's why I said I needed to figure out how much a single cup of coffee costs.  I love coffee and I drink it in the morning and again in the evening.   I only bought the card, because I could use it freely the first cruise and then for punches the second.  Now that it expires on your cruise, it won't be a good deal.

Google "princess coffee menu". Then just pick one of the many pictures.

Some of the links go to Cruise Critic threads/posts.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

On 1/7/2019 at 1:04 PM, ukestrummer said:

BUY on Ebay coffee cards, I have sold several there, I know you cannot get unlimited fresh coffee with them BUT special drinks you can

I bet you are giving a great deal on the ones that expired on 12/31/18.