“LIVE FROM” 2019 Oceania Insignia World Cruise, Jan. 11-July 11

Go-Bucks!

6 hours ago, Skmar said:

So you do know how far it is from Sydney by air and how hot it would be ? 😬🤦🏼‍♀️

We did it as part of a land trip in Australia but checking flight schedules it shows the flight to be about 3 1/2 hours each way. Being deep inland it should be pretty warm/hot (today’s high is 102)

The light on the rock is spectacular at sunrise/sunset.

Edited by Paulchili

don't tell everybody how beautiful it is to dine at Terrace--everybody on board will want to come.....shhhhh, it's a secret!!! 🙂     

we eat most of our meals there on every cruise and I don't like it  when someone is sitting at "our" table!

1 hour ago, cbb said:

don't tell everybody how beautiful it is to dine at Terrace--everybody on board will want to come.....shhhhh, it's a secret!!! 🙂     

we eat most of our meals there on every cruise and I don't like it  when someone is sitting at "our" table!

Great picture.   Just have to get there early and have a drink before dinner.  

• Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 1:00 PM, BabySis said:

This is actually quite funny! I cannot imagine after weeks on the insignia that we will be interested in all you can eat buffet. But if you’re still hungry at the end of the cruise, check these places out. 

Just because something is all you can eat doesn’t mean you need to eat it all.  I was trying to make a suggestion for something off the traditional tourist path in Rome.  Less than 10 euro for a drink and a meal with locals sounds like a great idea to me, hence the suggestion.

palakika,

we are right on time at 6:30 or maybe 5 minutes early.  I usually sit at the table while dave goes and gets salad or whatever, then I go. 

Sometimes, if the chef is doing something special we go ahead and get the entrees as soon as we're told they're serving because in about 20 minutes the place gets crazy busy!!! 

To "save" your seat, one signal is to unroll the silverwear from the napkin and place the napkin over the back of the chair.  Also if you have brought a sweater/jacket putting that on the chair is also a sign of being occupied. 

we know several who are so intent on getting 'their' table that they are often in Terrace about 6:20! (not us!)

Wait staff will come by and see if they can get something for us when we arrive a little early but we always tell them we're fine and to please go ahead and do what they need to do to set up the dining room.

If i think it is really windy i'll walk through the back and out the other doors and go grab a table inside.  

On an ATW the staff gets used to us and comes over to chat about their day!!!

Cbb..Thanks for the timing tip.  Yes, we learned very early on to place a napkin over our chairs to save the table.  Sometimes I also put my small glasses purse on the table too. Some people just aren't very observant, but I think they catch on to the system after a few false moves!!

yes, we had a blusterly older 'gentleman' who said "nobody was here so i took this table" despite the fact that there were both napkins on the backs of the chairs and both water glasses were filled and my sunglasses were by my fork.  

He was quite put out and the maitre' d hurriedly arrived and said 'sir, it is a sign that a table is taken when the napkin is on the chair' and pointed out several other examples around us.  The man grumped off and we thanked staff for helping us out. 

this was the same guy who i heard say 'i don't know what the big fuss is about the food, it isn't anything special' as he shoveled in the food from an enormously filled plate.  Wondered what the plate would have looked like if he had liked the food!

• Haha 3

Ha,ha good one about the grumpy man with big food!  One of the things we really like about Terrace is that you can eat the things you like and pass on the other stuff. I just love those grilled lamb chops and been known to eat them a number of a days in a row!

• Like 1

palakika--that's why i love terrace.  I can get a small sampling, and i do mean small, of many things being offered and then I can go back for more or try some other things.  And there is always a small tasting of something from his plate and then having to go get my own!! 

I also like the idea of taking something from one area of the buffet, something from the grill or wok, adding something from another area and create my own entree!  When they added the grill Terrace became special for us.

I rarely get tired of Terrace offerings and often the chef is  planning/plotting something awesome for diners at Terrace!   Win Win for us but don't pass on this info!!!  😉

Re the grumpy man, I remember reading here -- not too long ago, on another thread, perhaps from Lyn, I'm not sure -- about how belongings had been left at the table while they went to get their food.  When they came back the belongings had been moved to another table.  No shame from the perpetrators.

We've never had that happen to us but since we read that comment we tend to do separate runs.  It's harder for us now to do that because Howard needs me to tell him what is available given his vision problems.  So we tend to go through the buffet offerings and he will tell me what he wants.  Then he goes to the table and I get the food.  Probably once for him, once for me.  It's hard to carry two full plates simultaneously ... Even when hovering waiters want to help!

Mura

1 minute ago, Mura said:

Re the grumpy man, I remember reading here -- not too long ago, on another thread, perhaps from Lyn, I'm not sure -- about how belongings had been left at the table while they went to get their food.  When they came back the belongings had been moved to another table.  No shame from the perpetrators.

we had it happen but no belongings moved   the man  must have got lost on the way to his table  & sat at ours

Napkin over the chair water glasses filled  etc..

even the poor waiter  was confused LOL

He asked what happened

Got off the Insigna the day they readied it to go into dry dock. Lamb chops ate many also. Loved them at breakfast. You are lucky to get to Bora Bora , HAL world did not make it because of rain and winds. Keep enjoying while I read. It was moorea they missed not Bora Bora 

Edited by brownblonde
Spelling

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

we had it happen but no belongings moved   the man  must have got lost on the way to his table  & sat at ours

Napkin over the chair water glasses filled  etc..

even the poor waiter  was confused LOL

He asked what happened

That's better than what I remembered, but I wasn't sure I was quoting you!  Let's hope I was and mis-remembered the details.

Mura

Just now, cayman09 said:

Ilsun, beautiful photos thank you for sharing. Can I ask what you are using for an underwater camera?

I did not take the underwater photos, gave credit to Greg Ulrich who was kind enough to share his great pictures.

Welcome to the Pago Pago, gateway to the magnificent islands of the Territory of American Samoa. Lying south the Equator, American Samoa is the most southern point of the United States domain. Island of Tutuila.
Cultural experience tour- traditional dance & kava tasting, tsunami memorial, Flower pot rocks & views from the Western coast

IMG_20190219_152738.jpg

IMG_20190219_153244.jpg

IMG_20190219_151730.jpg

IMG_20190219_152754.jpg

IMG_20190219_150735.jpg

IMG_20190219_150618.jpg

IMG_20190219_150927.jpg

IMG_20190219_153114.jpg

IMG_20190219_151453.jpg

IMG_20190219_152700.jpg

IMG_20190219_153221.jpg

IMG_20190219_151429.jpg

IMG_20190219_153153.jpg

IMG_20190219_151019.jpg

IMG_20190219_151226.jpg

IMG_20190219_151945.jpg

IMG_20190219_153010.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cbb said:

Trust me...they already know!  😉

if Terrace is crowded, some of that is because of the part of the itinerary you're in right now. 

We notice that when people are in the tropics, have gone swimming/snorkeling, etc. they are less likely to eat MDR dinners and to go for the sushi & salads and to not have to dress up.  Just too much effort when you're on 'island time!"

We took the Village Life tour...was very good.  Tasted some local foods, watched a dance, drove to some interesting spots (Flower Pot rock, tsunami memorial, and a "resort").  What made it so good was our guide...she was a 9th grade student who gave us the perspective of a young person.  And she was knowledgeable and informative.  Our bus was hilarious...it's actually a public transportation bus that the cruiseline must have reserved (there were quite a few being used to take the tours).  Seats were quite hard and the open windows gave natural air conditioning, but it was fun.  It was very hot and very, very humid....even the locals were complaining about the heat & humidity.

The people of American Samoa are very religious and modest in their dress.  The ship made an announcement before we left on the tour that no one could wear shorts to the village we visited.  They are mostly Christians (4 main denominations) and the men & women both wear shirts and skirts or the women wear dresses.  The photo of the license plate (below) was on our bus.

After returning to the ship for lunch, we went back out to visit some local shops.  Found a lovely dressmaker (and her darling daughter) where I bought a handmade dress for just $25 and she threw in a free necklace.  Connie also got a couple things there.  We walked to the bank, an open market and McDonald's, which had free high speed Wifi!  Got to video chat with one of my daughters.  Our tour guide said they just have one of everything or every place on the island except for McDonald's....of which there are 2!  Menu looked about the same but they called the Big Mac a Big McTeri...have no idea why.  😂

20190219_083608.jpg

20190219_094833.jpg

20190219_095759.jpg

20190219_100052.jpg

20190219_100142.jpg

20190219_103837.jpg

20190219_104056.jpg

20190219_105909.jpg

20190219_105959.jpg

20190219_110449.jpg

20190219_144835.jpg

20190219_154443.jpg

Edited by Go-Bucks!
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, cbb said:

if Terrace is crowded, some of that is because of the part of the itinerary you're in right now. 

We notice that when people are in the tropics, have gone swimming/snorkeling, etc. they are less likely to eat MDR dinners and to go for the sushi & salads and to not have to dress up.  Just too much effort when you're on 'island time!"

It's not bad at all....I meant that the outdoor seating isn't a secret.  We're able to get a table out there for any meal we've had so far.  Obviously, as the weather gets ridiculously hot (SE Asia, India, Middle East) I doubt if nearly as many people will opt to eat out there.  But right now it's quite nice.  We also like the atmosphere of the GDR so we eat there too.  Depends alot on what's on the menu...so nice that it's now listed on the TV!