“LIVE FROM” 2019 Oceania Insignia World Cruise, Jan. 11-July 11

Go-Bucks!

6 minutes ago, Mura said:

I'm going to miss it too ... I'll just stay indoors!

Now that I no longer have a car (thanks to the rodents who ate the engine's wiring a couple of years ago) I also don't have to worry about digging out the car ...

DH  had Chipmunks  eat the wiring in his car  last  year

we have had mice in the engine compartment  before  but they did not eat the wiring

2 minutes ago, Mura said:

A big difference from living in a community where garage parking is increasingly unavailable -- and ranges around $500/month if you can get it.

Yeh, rural farm living is about as far from living in NYC as it can get.  Guess both have pros and cons....😉

7 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

we have had mice in the engine compartment  before  but they did not eat the wiring

Lucky you!  (At least regarding the mice.)

Since this happened to me -- just parking on the street in Brooklyn Heights -- I've heard a number of stories from others.  It does seem more common rural areas, but then in our neighborhood rodents do abound (maybe it was squirrels, maybe rats in my case).  My car had been parked while we were away -- a friend moved the car when necessary but it wasn't necessary more than once because of holiday suspensions of the alternate side parking rules.  When I returned home and turned on the motor, it worked fine.  But when I tried to drive I saw problems, and then took it in to the dealer ... who gave me the bad news.  The initial quote was $1900 to repair the problems BUT they didn't know if once they started on the job if they would find worse problems.

It seemed better to take the dealer's offer to buy back the car.  They were going to sell it at auction -- I hope for parts since they didn't feel it would ever be safe to drive.  At least, that's what they told me.

Since I no longer REALLY need a car, even though people who grow up in L.A. always seem to think they do, I haven't been impelled to go out and get another one.  Especially not in the winter time!

Mura

We just got off the Marina and I asked the Oceania booking agent about the magnets.  She told me she called Miami and they told her they will be putting in magnetic strips. We will have to see if this is a reality

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Bob,

Can you try the magnet on different areas of the ceiling, please? 

Left Insignia yesterday. The entire bathroom ceiling (at least in 4041) is strongly magnetic. My light-duty magnetic document holders worked fine on doors but not walls. The outside of the bathroom walls (meaning the bed chamber side) are lightly magnetic - a strong magnet would hold some paper but not a jacket. A strong magnet on the cabin door or bath door would hold a jacket. Sorry I didn't check the non-bath ceilings. 

50 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

38 minutes ago, Mura said:

Lucky you!  (At least regarding the mice.)

Since this happened to me -- just parking on the street in Brooklyn Heights -- I've heard a number of stories from others.  It does seem more common rural areas, but then in our neighborhood rodents do abound (maybe it was squirrels, maybe rats in my case).  My car had been parked while we were away -- a friend moved the car when necessary but it wasn't necessary more than once because of holiday suspensions of the alternate side parking rules.  When I returned home and turned on the motor, it worked fine.  But when I tried to drive I saw problems, and then took it in to the dealer ... who gave me the bad news.  The initial quote was $1900 to repair the problems BUT they didn't know if once they started on the job if they would find worse problems.

It seemed better to take the dealer's offer to buy back the car.  They were going to sell it at auction -- I hope for parts since they didn't feel it would ever be safe to drive.  At least, that's what they told me.

Since I no longer REALLY need a car, even though people who grow up in L.A. always seem to think they do, I haven't been impelled to go out and get another one.  Especially not in the winter time!

Mura

That's crazy stuff, but then again I've got bats in my belfry. 

Looking at those pictures I'm left scratching my head over that VGA looking plug. What in the world is that for?

2 hours ago, babysteps said:

Left Insignia yesterday. The entire bathroom ceiling (at least in 4041) is strongly magnetic. My light-duty magnetic document holders worked fine on doors but not walls. The outside of the bathroom walls (meaning the bed chamber side) are lightly magnetic - a strong magnet would hold some paper but not a jacket. A strong magnet on the cabin door or bath door would hold a jacket. Sorry I didn't check the non-bath ceilings. 

I'd appreciate it if someone could check to see if the edges of the ceiling (just above the walls) in the main bedroom is even lightly magnetic.  We'll be in a PH suite, but maybe they're all the same.  Thanks!!

Edited by Go-Bucks!

2 hours ago, ORV said:

The top one. 

59 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Since Bob is  in a H/C  cabin  maybe it is an call button in case of emergency ???

34 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

After working in hospitals for over 30 years, I agree....it's for an emergency call button. 

Thats what it is....there's another panic button in the foyer, and another one in the shower.   There's also an extension phone in the bathroom.

Speaking of the bathroom, after showing my cabin steward the 'half-curtain' in the shower, earlier, they installed a second one to cover the open area.   The track was already there, just not the curtain.  Hopefully that will improve the containment....

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, GidgetWidget said:

I believe that was Bob Brown-Not sure what category cabin he is in.  The layout of his seems a little different than 7014.  

see  post #89  it is  an "A"  cabin deck 7

the B cabins  are the same  as the A

Bob Brown is in a  H/C on deck 4

19 hours ago, DOJO466 said:

They did a few posts back.

Gidgetwidget was looking for a pictures of  ilsun  cabin, not Bob Browns.  I think that Bob Brown is in a different category of cabin.  Many of us want to see the A/B closets.  

13 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

I'd appreciate it if someone could check to see if the edges of the ceiling (just above the walls) in the main bedroom is even lightly magnetic.  We'll be in a PH suite, but maybe they're all the same.  Thanks!!

Lisa,

The new PH suites are so much better than the old ones in my opinion. They are arranged much more efficiently and seem roomier. We are in 8023. The walls are largely magnetic with variations in strength. The edges are not magnetic. We are using a hanging shoe bag in the closet and an over the door version on the bathroom door. That combined with stashing suitcases and storage boxes under the bed and an inexpensive metal frame 4 cloth drawer unit from Amazon means our cabin is pretty uncluttered despite my ridiculous overpacking. My bride brought a cardboard magazine holder and we could have used 2 of them to hold documents, tablet, etc. Here is a picture of the room taken from the balcony. Hope it helps. Let me know if you need more indo. The Internet service is also much better, although not the same as fiber into the home. 😉

20190113_093217.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, aikilee said:

Here is a picture of the PH suite from the doorway. Now back to lunch, lecture, massage, happy hour, dinner, then happy hour again, sleep...and do it all again!

Thank you SO much!!  That really helps with storage planning.  Wish I could drag along a 4 drawer thing like you have in the corner, but we have to fly to LA so I'll just get some plastic drawers that can stack on top of each other for that corner.  I think we'll be very happy in the PH suite....I like them better now than before the refurbish.

brilliant idea with the magazine holders--I can do this and now not worry about whether the walls are magnetic or not.  Different colored folders w/pockets and placed in the holders will do it for us.  Thank her for me!  (i'd probably go with the plastic ones but i live in sub-tropics where paper anything melts over time!!! 

24 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Thank you SO much!!  That really helps with storage planning.  Wish I could drag along a 4 drawer thing like you have in the corner, but we have to fly to LA so I'll just get some plastic drawers that can stack on top of each other for that corner.  I think we'll be very happy in the PH suite....I like them better now than before the refurbish.

The PH suite looks fabulous!  It's basically the same I guess as the Azamara Club Continent Suite (R ships, all), but that suite is really badly appointed.  This one looks great.