dunns river falls .....shoes???

hannymom

Water shoes have seriously-good grip, tennis shoes etc are nowhere near as good and when wet some are downright slippy or eventually disintegrate.

You can buy water shoes in Ocho Rios from around $10 - $15, probably also at the Falls but at a higher price. Much better than wearing dubious water shoes that have been on a thousand other feet, yuck :classic_ohmy:

They weigh practically nothing & take up little space in your luggage.

A cheap pair will only be worth about a dozen wears, but come in very handy for swimming off shingle beaches or rocky outcrops.

Well worth the small outlay. 

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

I made the mistake of wearing shoes that had rubber soles but did not tie, and because my foot slipped around in the shoe when I happened to step into an unseen hole between the underwater rocks, I ended up with a sprained ankle and a gouge on my shin that got infected. The infection was bad enough that I had to go to the ship's medical center to be treated. That water looks sparkly and nice, but it's NOT clean!! The ankle got hugely swollen and was very painful for several days, and my cabin mate had to push me around the ship in a wheelchair.

It's wise to wear a type of shoe that can't allow that  to happen! 

Wear a good water shoe with support.  If your foot slides around in the shoe, it isn't good enough.  I don't think tennis shoes would have worked for me.  It is slippery and also very unstable because of the shape of the

rocks and crevices.

32 minutes ago, flamomo said:

I made the mistake of wearing shoes that had rubber soles but did not tie, and because my foot slipped around in the shoe when I happened to step into an unseen hole between the underwater rocks, I ended up with a sprained ankle and a gouge on my shin that got infected

It's wise to wear a type of shoe that can't allow that  to happen! 

Can't happen with water shoes :classic_smile: 

They hug your feet, like having an extra layer of skin.

JB :classic_smile:

I used Tevas too--the old style, since I have had them since the 90's!  I mostly only use them on water excursions with rocks so they are in very good shape, even after all these years.

Now, after some severe sprains/breaks with my ankles, I probably would want to use a shoe that hugs my foot more closely for more support, especially for Dunn's Falls.

I have no idea how anyone can go up the falls without shoes.  I couldn't do it.  I realize the guides have toughened up their feet with years of doing the falls.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

Another vote for water shoes.  I picked up a pair for $9 at one of the shops we walked by on the way to the excursion meet point.  If you rent from the venue they have lockers to store you regular shoes & stuff.  

Dunn River Falls --  It is truly a blast but keep in mind it is a huge trip/fall hazard.  If that is an issue, don't go.   

On 1/11/2019 at 5:42 PM, Nebr.cruiser said:

Our guide told us that there are often 2-3 broken bones a day at the falls.  Back at our ship, we saw one lady with massive bruising and abrasions on her thigh, covering most of the leg and also a couple of people with cuts.

I wouldn't doubt that at all.  As I mentioned before, the place really is a blast, but it is risky.  If someone feels the operator has a duty to provide a safe experience, this is not the place for them.   

Edited by ldubs
Oops

I picked up a pair of Baffin amazons that I love.  They're a water shoe, but more rugged like a low hiker.  They run around $100, but I was able to hunt around and find them on clearance for $29. (Sometimes it does pay to have weird sized feet)

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2019 at 6:02 PM, Capt_BJ said:

funny thing

the guides don't wear shoes, do they?

Had I climbed the falls when I was a kid going barefoot all summer, I probably wouldn’t have felt the golf balls, marbles, Legis and razor blades 🤗

I used a cheap pair of water shoes I bought at Walmart, but once we got to the falls I decided the rocks were too slippery to try and climb them and went down to the beach instead.😎 No matter what sole your shoes have there is a level of risk on those falls, be cautious no matter what!

• 4 weeks later...