Tux on evening chic nights

fastnloose

He will not be mistaken for a waiter or stick out. If he likes to wear his tux than he should. Shouldn't matter what others are wearing. My wife decides long before the cruise what we are wearing each evening. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

He will not stick out as a sore thumb.    The percentage of Tux has plummeted and I would say you will see about 5-10% depending on the length of cruise and destination.    European, Asian and Repositioning have a tendency to dress up more. 

I often bring a Tux along and never feel out of place.   Conversely on very long B2B's I often dress with Bow Tie and Dinner Jacket.   

Only warning -  be prepared for him to be complimented on how nice he looks.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, fastnloose said:

Can anyone advise on what proportion of men still wear a tux on evening chic nights. My husband likes to wear his, but doesnt want to stick out or be mistaken for the waiter? Help please!

You will get a lot of different answers on this questions depending if the person answering likes tuxes.   My estimate is about 10% at most on the first night with slightly less on subsequent chic nights.  It might be slightly higher on cruises out of the UK.  Your husband can wear whatever he wants from a nice Hawaiian shirt to the tux and he will fit in. 

Edited by ipeeinthepool

My husband just cannot go to dinner without a jacket, even on casual nights with jeans/dockers he wears a nice sport coat.  Chic nights is always shirt, tie and jacket/suit.  But, that's just him.  We've been cruising since way back when dressing up for the evening was expected.  In Celebrity early days, there were 2 formal nights, 2 semi-formal nights and the rest country club casual.  This was on a 7 night cruise!  So, wear what you like and feel good in and enjoy!

2 minutes ago, fastnloose said:

Thanks everyone - I would add that its only a 7-nighter so I expect its 2 evening chic nights  so I dont know if that  makes a difference?

Yes two evening chic nights. Makes no difference. 

Edited by davekathy

2 minutes ago, fastnloose said:

Thanks everyone - I would add that its only a 7-nighter so I expect its 2 evening chic nights  so I dont know if that  makes a difference?

Just a personal observation which is that the longer the cruise, the dressier the clothes.   If we take a 2 month cruise, I will bring along my Tux (and a few formal ties).  On a 7 day cruise, not sure I would bother.  But, if somebody enjoys dressing-up...then go for it and just tell yourself that the ones who do not dress-up were likely raised by wolves :).

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fastnloose said:

Can anyone advise on what proportion of men still wear a tux on evening chic nights. My husband likes to wear his, but doesnt want to stick out or be mistaken for the waiter? Help please!

On a 7 day Caribbean cruise, I would say there have been very few men wearing tuxedos.  Yes, he will stand out but if he enjoys dressing up, then go for it.  My estimate would be less than 5% and probably closer to 2%.  However, if you were on a European cruise, then the percentages would be higher.  

Seems to depend where the cruise is going, we did two celebrity Cruises last year, the Baltic from Southampton and there were l would guess 25-30% dinner suits, including hubby, then a Med cruise from Barcelona I spotted 2 dinner suits one was hubby, so do what feels right for you and enjoy.

3 hours ago, Fishgirl01 said:

Seems to depend where the cruise is going, we did two celebrity Cruises last year, the Baltic from Southampton and there were l would guess 25-30% dinner suits, including hubby, then a Med cruise from Barcelona I spotted 2 dinner suits one was hubby, so do what feels right for you and enjoy.

This isn't what we saw on our Baltic cruise last summer.  The number was still closer to 10%