Princess Cruise "Secrets" 2019

barbpretz

1 hour ago, EllieinNJ said:

Do you still need Princess-at-Sea if you are getting the Ocean Medallion package?

Two completely different things. 

Even with the OM suite of apps there is an abundance of useful information on Princess at Sea. Some of which isn’t included in OM. 

Edited by Ep010835

1 hour ago, Ep010835 said:

Two completely different things. 

Even with the OM suite of apps there is an abundance of useful information on Princess at Sea. Some of which isn’t included in OM. 

I believe - and someone(s) will surely correct me if/when I am wrong - but on OM cruises .. Princess@Sea .. has

been replaced by 'Ocean Concierge' - which you connect to once on board thru the Princess "Intranet" at no charge

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, voljeep said:

I believe - and someone(s) will surely correct me if/when I am wrong - but on OM cruises .. Princess@Sea .. has

been replaced by 'Ocean Concierge' - which you connect to once on board thru the Princess "Intranet" at no charge

Quite correct. I’ve been told (though never restored to using it) that Princess at Sea also operates on OM ships/cruises for use by those who choose not to participate in OM. 

As we’ve always used OM when it’s available, I cannot say with 100% certainty this is correct. Just what I’ve been told. I’m cursed with being an “early adopter”. 

21 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

Quite correct. I’ve been told (though never restored to using it) that Princess at Sea also operates on OM ships/cruises for use by those who choose not to participate in OM. 

As we’ve always used OM when it’s available, I cannot say with 100% certainty this is correct. Just what I’ve been told. I’m cursed with being an “early adopter”. 

We  were on the Ruby 2 months ago and they had Ocean Medallion as internet, but none of cabins were using it for accessibility or any other OM functions that I'm aware of.  Princess at Sea is no longer available.  You just connect to a browser and the "new" ocean concierge is what connects.  It's basically the same as Princess at Sea but just a new look and no APP download is required.  I did notice that the Princess site itself was no longer available, but I feel that was just a Ruby snafu and surely will be.  

On 1/25/2019 at 6:37 AM, Almighty188 said:

The reason advisors advised you not to make the purchase is because it wasn't a security they are promoting.  Since advisors get paid for securities they recommend by the company which is why they don't care if you make money or not as their job is for you to bring your assets to them and for you to buy what they recommend to you as they make money from the recommendations and they usually require you to hold the security for a certain period of time too.   I know someone who used Edward Jones and they keep recommending things to buy so it gets bought but they would not let you sell it until 5 years later as they will not even accept your instructions to sell.  Another friend used Banc of America Investment Services, Inc. which was before Bank of America purchased Merrill Lynch.  The advisor sold them Mutual Funds and it was losing money big time and even 6 years later, they won't let them sell saying that they have to keep it there for a full 10 years or something.   A advisor really doesn't use their own skills to recommend things as they use what's on the list supplied by the Chief Analyst.  As for the dividends, even at 4%, it will take you 18 years to recover 100% of the cost of your investment.  And at 3.7% which is the actual dividend, it will take 19.5 years.  Regardless, it's better than putting the money in the bank even for the dividends alone and the depends on the actual return on the stock price itself.  If you cruise though, then the return is higher.  The shares you own will mostly be in street name as it's owned by the brokerage firm where you are the beneficiary owner.  Otherwise you will have the stock certificate in your hand and it has to be delivered to the broker before you can even sell the shares should you need to.  Make sure when you buy for the dividends, you look at the dividend-ex date and your shares need to settle on or before that date or else you won't be eligible for the dividends for the next dividend payment date.  

Purchased myself with TD Ameratrade. So super easy. We do 4-6 cruises a year. An excellent investment for us. Even If you only do one 7 day you get $100 plus the $50 We may do 3 or 4 Carnival and Princess with the stock and vet OBC. There is no way any bank could do better even a CD with $5,000 invested. A 1 yr CD at best is only 2.7%  $135.00 a year. Not impressive at all. Extremely happy with owning the Carnival stock. Now, on the other hand. We purchased Royals stock twice the cost of Carnivals. Sold it a week later. It is useless.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2019 at 4:02 AM, Pierlesscruisers said:

There are only 2 other cruise lines that offer a similar benefit, Cunard and P&O, so if you ever go on one of those 2 lines, you will want to submit paperwork to them also.

We booked a Cunard cruise (later cancelled) and the veteran's OBC was automagically on our account. We didn't do anything.

45 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Depot is picky. It can't be used on "construction" items (which is 90% of everything in the store) and you have to register. The registering was a royal PITA.

Maybe it works differently for veterans who have not retired from one of the services. I've gotten the discount every time I've ever bought anything at HD, whether it was Xmas stuff, paint, cleaning supplies, you name it. All I had to do was show my military retired ID.

Tom

56 minutes ago, julie3fan said:

The $100 is the shareholder benefit, I presume, but what's the $50?

I believe that the $50 is the quarterly dividend of $.50/share that CCL is currently paying. I just use my dividends to purchase more shares. The shares add up so my original 100 shares has grown to a bit over 111 shares now. The nice thing about the OBC for the stock is it's income that you don't have to pay income tax on! :classic_biggrin:

Tom

Pierlesscruisers said:

There are only 2 other cruise lines that offer a similar benefit, Cunard and P&O, so if you ever go on one of those 2 lines, you will want to submit paperwork to them also.

I may have missed something with regard to this post, but actually owning Carnival stock gets a benefit at all cruise lines owned by Carnival. We always get it on Holland America, but haven’t sailed with any of the others. I will say that Princess & Holland have different policies and they are similar but PCL is definitely better.

Edited by RRFan

44 minutes ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

Maybe it works differently for veterans who have not retired from one of the services. I've gotten the discount every time I've ever bought anything at HD, whether it was Xmas stuff, paint, cleaning supplies, you name it. All I had to do was show my military retired ID.

Tom

No construction stuff. DH buys cement, wood, etc.......no discount.

1 hour ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

I believe that the $50 is the quarterly dividend of $.50/share that CCL is currently paying.

That makes sense.  Last time I paid attention the qtrly dividend was $35.  I guess I'm richer than I thought! 😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RRFan said:

Pierlesscruisers said:

There are only 2 other cruise lines that offer a similar benefit, Cunard and P&O, so if you ever go on one of those 2 lines, you will want to submit paperwork to them also.

I may have missed something with regard to this post, but actually owning Carnival stock gets a benefit at all cruise lines owned by Carnival. We always get it on Holland America, but haven’t sailed with any of the others. I will say that Princess & Holland have different policies and they are similar but PCL is definitely better.

The OBC that we were discussing was the Veterans OBC, not the Carnival Corp. stock OBC.

Tom

On 6/9/2019 at 5:35 AM, PaperSniper4 said:

Does the European plug list anywhere on it that is DOES have surge protection? I wonder as some US plug "surge protected" extension cords ARE confiscated upon boarding. Your extension cord is a great idea as long as you can actually use it on the ship. We require extension cords for our two heating pads (pre-approved by Princess) and a COPD machine. We usually get extension cords from the ship (also pre-requested) but plugging your extension cord under the bed sure would save a lot of cords laying on the cabin floor.

May I ask, how did you get your heating pads pre-approved?  Is there a form you have to fill out?  My 84 year old mother would LOVE to take hers, but I told her per Princess rules that she couldn't.  What do I have to do to be able to take one on board?

On 6/9/2019 at 5:35 AM, PaperSniper4 said:

Does the European plug list anywhere on it that is DOES have surge protection? I wonder as some US plug "surge protected" extension cords ARE confiscated upon boarding. Your extension cord is a great idea as long as you can actually use it on the ship. We require extension cords for our two heating pads (pre-approved by Princess) and a COPD machine. We usually get extension cords from the ship (also pre-requested) but plugging your extension cord under the bed sure would save a lot of cords laying on the cabin floor.

First let me say, "because you read it on the internet, doesn't make it true".  I make no guarantees.  I was duped myself, but it worked out in the end.   I bought my multi outlet in 2015 expecting it to be a surge protected device.  When I received it, it was obviously not surge protected.  No "joules" rating, no reset, I did some resistance and capacitance tests, compared to a surge protected device.  It read like a normal extension cord, not a surge protected device.  I was disappointed.  Just about that time I found out that surge protectors were not allowed on board, for safety reasons too deep to go into now.  Bonus, my multi outlet now was perfect.  The one available now is a different brand name, and different color than the one I bought.  Other than that, it looks identical.  In fact if you look closely at the second picture down in the link that I sent posted, it is a white Won-Pro, and doesn't show any surge protection specifications.  That is the one I have.  Based on the price, compared to other surge protected devices, I think that it is a safe bet that the device with the European plug is not surge protected.  For that price, I would take the chance for myself.

Edited by 2 cruises a year

7 hours ago, Crazy4Cruz'n said:

May I ask, how did you get your heating pads pre-approved?  Is there a form you have to fill out?  My 84 year old mother would LOVE to take hers, but I told her per Princess rules that she couldn't.  What do I have to do to be able to take one on board?

I had tried to find an email address such as RCI uses (special_needs@rccl.com), but could never find a similar email for Princess. I prefer to use email as then I have a hard copy I can stick in my carry on bag if there is any question upon boarding.  No Princess email, so I called the regular Princess customer service number and explained our situation. Wife uses a COPD, and we both us a heating pad at night. (Being old is a bi*ch!) The Princess agent said no problem, arranged to have extension cords and distilled water in our cabin, and said to pack the heating pads in either carry on or checked bags. But I got no email confirmation except for the extension cords, which kind of makes sense because that is something they must do. So, hopefully I will have no issues with the heating pads. If I do (in Nov 2019) I will report on the Princess forum.

Doug

Edited by PaperSniper4

4 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

First let me say, "because you read it on the internet, doesn't make it true".  I make no guarantees.  I was duped myself, but it worked out in the end.   I bought my multi outlet in 2015 expecting it to be a surge protected device.  When I received it, it was obviously not surge protected.  No "joules" rating, no reset, I did some resistance and capacitance tests, compared to a surge protected device.  It read like a normal extension cord, not a surge protected device.  I was disappointed.  Just about that time I found out that surge protectors were not allowed on board, for safety reasons too deep to go into now.  Bonus, my multi outlet now was perfect.  The one available now is a different brand name, and different color than the one I bought.  Other than that, it looks identical.  In fact if you look closely at the second picture down in the link that I sent posted, it is a white Won-Pro, and doesn't show any surge protection specifications.  That is the one I have.  Based on the price, compared to other surge protected devices, I think that it is a safe bet that the device with the European plug is not surge protected.  For that price, I would take the chance for myself.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It sounds like it's worth a try. Are you the fellow that found a plug under the bed into which you could plug the European plug? Sounds like a good solution.....we need outlets near the bed for a COPD and heating pads. Otherwise we have cords snaking over the cabin floor and it could be an issue at night, beside the fact we need to coil them up each morning to keep the floor clear.

Doug

5 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

If anyone buys a current version of that cord we'd all appreciate knowing if the extension cord says anywhere on it that it is "surge protected". The page for it on Amazon indicates it is surge protected, but of course that's no guarantee that it is or is not, as the fellow above said.

13 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Depot is picky. It can't be used on "construction" items (which is 90% of everything in the store) and you have to register. The registering was a royal PITA.

We used to just show the military ID but now we have to have a Pro number, and we did have to register for that. But we definitely get the discount on construction items. The only time we haven’t been able to get the 10% discount is on things that are special values, already heavily discounted. We spend- and save- a lot at Lowe’s and HD every year. 

Regarding Princess gift cards, we buy $250 worth at Kroger every time they have 4X fuel points. We get $1 per gallon off gas for one fill up with each card we buy. We don’t buy more than we need, though. We still want our Princess Visa points. Usually two gift cards per month covers our gas needs, but the second one is generally a Home Depot gift card. 

• Like 1