Carry on

Johnc3211

16 hours ago, cb at sea said:

I've never brought a backpack onboard.  If it's a "carryon" on a plane, it's fine.  Same size scanner.

11 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Travel internationally? On some foreign carriers there is a weight limit for carryons too. 

Not sure I'm following.  International flight or not,  if it is OK for a carry-on on an airplane it will be OK to carry onto the ship.  Perhaps there is one, but I'm not aware of any cruise lines having carry-on weight limits.  Certainly a cruise ship will allow more weight for carry-ons than would be allowed on a flight.  

16 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Not sure I'm following.  International flight or not,  if it is OK for a carry-on on an airplane it will be OK to carry onto the ship.  Perhaps there is one, but I'm not aware of any cruise lines having carry-on weight limits.  Certainly a cruise ship will allow more weight for carry-ons than would be allowed on a flight.  

Earlier poster's statement spoke only to size. Yes, carryon sizewise is okay for a ship but, weight of that carryon may be a "no go" on a plane.

38 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Earlier poster's statement spoke only to size. Yes, carryon sizewise is okay for a ship but, weight of that carryon may be a "no go" on a plane.

I got it.  One of those "not necessarily" things.  :classic_mellow:

Let's see, how many drinks are enough?

How many servings are enough?

How do I know what you need to put into your backpack?

As has been posted, small and light enough to carry.  And I add, big enough to hold what you need to carry on. 😄

Flying? I think that every airline is free to set its own carry on size and weight limit. Rick Steves' carry on bags are 21" x 14" x 9", which works for most airlines, except when they make you gate check a bag because all the overhead bins are full. I have not flown on one, but some airlines charge for carry on bags and some have smaller and lighter limits.There have been times when I stuck a 21" x 14" x 9" bag under the seat in front of me, but that does not always work on small planes or on big planes with video equipment boxes under the seats.

I have seen people get away with loading grossly oversize bags in overhead bins and I have seen smaller bags refused. It's a crap shoot.

The target weight for our 20" carry on bags is 7-8KG.  Anything over that goes in a personal item.   We travel frequently and once in a while we do get weighed so we make the assumption that we always will.  The 7KG rule has fit all of the airlines on which we have traveled since retirement.  Once in while we have had to gate check.. Not because of weight or dimensions but rather because of airline equipment.  This is how we travel-one week or eight-ten weeks.  Not for everyone but it works for us.  Once in a while we get to add a last minute cruise into the land travel.

Edited by iancal