Iona Construction ?

jaydee6969

4 hours ago, Monorail Orange said:

Anyway moving swiftly on...

I don't think Iona would be this loud, but still - not a cabin for me.

I've had one of these cabins on both Oasis and Symphony and I'd take another like a shot.  Only a bit of noise during the day and none in the evening.

Most definitely not a ship for me either. I'd need a relaxing break when I got home just to recover

Avril

18 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Very weather dependent though. We would have been tempted to have booked an aft suite on Iona (when we feel safe to cruise again) as it won’t be blighted by soot like the one we had on Britannia, but I would worry about potential noise issues from that huge public area below, especially as we tend to go to bed earlier than most.

I guess it would depend on whether the Sunset Bar is open late and whether there is direct access to that area from the Club House Bar/Entertainment venue.

6 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I believe the Al-fresco dining area will be on the port side, outside the Quays casual dining restaurants, so lunch will give me an all round (one side) view, then a leisurely after lunch libation watching the wake from the sunset bar, what could be better.

I thought that Sindhu and The Olive Grove were going to have al-fresco dining too (starboard side)???

I'm afraid I just don't get why anyone wants a balcony overlooking other balconies and a fake park when they are at sea...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Britboys said:

I'm afraid I just don't get why anyone wants a balcony overlooking other balconies and a fake park when they are at sea...

The central park on our Allure of the seas cruise wasn’t fake. It was pretty impressive in fact. Tended to daily and it even had real birds flying around (poncing a free cruise and some R&R). 

The bar in the middle became one of our favourites out of the sun, and an amazing bar tender from Jamaica.

But I agree, I wouldn’t have any of the inside balcony cabins. Unless of course you prefer an inside cabin with no window whatsoever!

11 minutes ago, Esprit said:

The central park on our Allure of the seas cruise wasn’t fake. It was pretty impressive in fact. Tended to daily and it even had real birds flying around (poncing a free cruise and some R&R). 

The bar in the middle became one of our favourites out of the sun, and an amazing bar tender from Jamaica.

But I agree, I wouldn’t have any of the inside balcony cabins. Unless of course you prefer an inside cabin with no window whatsoever!

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest the plants were actually fake - more the whole concept of saying it is a park - maybe garden would sound better. I'm just a grumpy old man who can't see why a ship should have a shopping mall or a park on it 😊

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest the plants were actually fake - more the whole concept of saying it is a park - maybe garden would sound better. I'm just a grumpy old man who can't see why a ship should have a shopping mall or a park on it 😊

Checking out Radley handbags, then coming home and waiting for the sales?🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I hate the shopping malls on the Royal Caribbean ships with a passion. I would try to avoid walking through it whenever possible.

2 hours ago, Esprit said:

I hate the shopping malls on the Royal Caribbean ships with a passion. I would try to avoid walking through it whenever possible.

The ships I generally sail on only tend to have about 3 shops and are easily avoided. I wish I could say the same for the 'inch of gold' and other market-style tables lining the corridor or atrium that they load with tons of tat...

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Esprit said:

That’s the idea. You give those who would otherwise have an inside cabin, a balcony with no scenic view. They like the balcony and next time book a proper outward looking balcony.

It’s a sales tactic.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My upgrade would be for a set of earphones!

On any ship, the hustle and bustle of the public areas is great, and I'm not against larger ships at all, but you just want a bit of peace and quiet when back in your cabin?   Not all that racket.

If I didn't know better, that experience would put me off a balcony cabin (being overlooked, no privacy, little space, frankly a bit a rip off etc)...mind you I'm don't see this like some American customers obviously 😤 🤯

3 hours ago, molecrochip said:

That’s the idea. You give those who would otherwise have an inside cabin, a balcony with no scenic view. They like the balcony and next time book a proper outward looking balcony.

It’s a sales tactic.

Does that mean that if I booked a guaranteed balcony on Iona it wouldn't necessarily be an outward looking balcony?

3 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Does that mean that if I booked a guaranteed balcony on Iona it wouldn't necessarily be an outward looking balcony?

Good point. On a saver fare the inside balconies might be classed as the  lowest grade.

Avril

15 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

No P&O ship has any inside balcony cabins. The reference was to a Royal Caribbean ship further up the page.

But the promenade deck balconies might allow passing joggers or strollers to gaze in upon you as you are getting dressed!😬