Iona Construction ?

jaydee6969

Makes you wonder with all these niggles they have found with Iona are they just excuses just to delay handover/payment or if it would have been a "normal" cruising season would she have sailed on her Maiden cruise and continued to cruise with all these faults they have seemed to have found.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Makes you wonder with all these niggles they have found with Iona are they just excuses just to delay handover/payment or if it would have been a "normal" cruising season would she have sailed on her Maiden cruise and continued to cruise with all these faults they have seemed to have found.

In good times you do snagging on the run line with a new build house. You don’t cancel a cruise. In times like these you want it perfect on handover.

Iona has been finished externally for best past of a year. In that time she has broadly been sat in one of two places. Ships are made to move - they don’t like sitting still., it causes extra maintenance.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

In good times you do snagging on the run line with a new build house. You don’t cancel a cruise. In times like these you want it perfect on handover.

Iona has been finished externally for best past of a year. In that time she has broadly been sat in one of two places. Ships are made to move - they don’t like sitting still., it causes extra maintenance.

Maybe it has been liming!

Not leaking!

On 9/17/2020 at 7:34 PM, brian1 said:

No worries sis,Gary's going in for retuning.

Just read that Gary has planned a UK tour for June 2021. As this seems to indicate he won’t be on Iona then, it may be an incentive for people to book cruises during that month. 😎😇

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Iona is out of dry dock and off back to the waters by Norway. This should be her final seatrials.

All eyes are on this.

I noticed that she was flying the German flag from her stern while in Rotterdam, presumably that's because she has still to be handed over to P&O.  Is this maybe the reason there have been few if any photos of her interiors yet?

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I noticed that she was flying the German flag from her stern while in Rotterdam, presumably that's because she has still to be handed over to P&O.  Is this maybe the reason there have been few if any photos of her interiors yet?

Correct re flag.

As for photos, she looks great inside. Has been finished a while. Not sure why the company are not releasing them.

8 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Correct re flag.

As for photos, she looks great inside. Has been finished a while. Not sure why the company are not releasing them.

Are the interiors a big departure from previous ships in the fleet? If so, perhaps they are concerned about losing bookings on her from more long-standing P&O cruisers...

23 hours ago, pete14 said:

Just read that Gary has planned a UK tour for June 2021. As this seems to indicate he won’t be on Iona then, it may be an incentive for people to book cruises during that month. 😎😇

Oh ! All yee of little faith. Gary's tour finishes at the O2 in London on June 24/25. Iona Sails to the Fjords on 26th from Southampton. You can go to the ball.👅

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I noticed this earlier in the thread. Can someone please explain 'liming'

Avril

It's when you chill on a beach in Jamaica. Excuse me, do you mind if I borrow your jetski. No problem Mon I limin.

9 hours ago, Monorail Orange said:

Yeah I'd guess they don't want to come across as "look how lovely she is, just a shame none of you can see it in person yet"

Don't get it as Carnival Cruise Line continue showing pictures of Mardi Gras. The pictures I've seen are very true to the artist impressions that were issued to the press/public 18 months ago.

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

Are the interiors a big departure from previous ships in the fleet? If so, perhaps they are concerned about losing bookings on her from more long-standing P&O cruisers...

Its 15 years since P&O had a new build from a German Ship yard, its fair to say it has its differences to Britannia.

Its an evolution not revolution. There is no doubt that the public rooms are more modern. The cabins and how they are used have been reconsidered completely compared to Britannia. 

They have tried to get more natural light into the main atrium and the dinning rooms. For me, the grand atrium is like nothing seen before on a P&O ship. Three floors with floor to ceiling windows on both sides of the ship.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Don't get it as Carnival Cruise Line continue showing pictures of Mardi Gras. The pictures I've seen are very true to the artist impressions that were issued to the press/public 18 months ago.

Its 15 years since P&O had a new build from a German Ship yard, its fair to say it has its differences to Britannia.

Its an evolution not revolution. There is no doubt that the public rooms are more modern. The cabins and how they are used have been reconsidered completely compared to Britannia. 

They have tried to get more natural light into the main atrium and the dinning rooms. For me, the grand atrium is like nothing seen before on a P&O ship. Three floors with floor to ceiling windows on both sides of the ship.

Moley, I believe it is 20 years since Aurora was built, and I think she was the last ship built in Germany, Arcadia and the rest were all built by Fincantieri in Italy.

If Iona's cabins are an improvement on the Celebrity Solstice class, then I will be very happy. Although I do hope the auto door closures on the accessible cabins allow you to set the speed of closure to your own choice, it can be very boring waiting for them to close.