Allergic to cruise staterooms?

BundlesofFun

I've always wondered about this and there's not really anything about it on the internet. I've only been on 2 cruises so far (10 nights total) but on both of them, I had to take a Benadryl every night to be able to sleep in the stateroom. I'm mostly fine going in and out of it during the day, but at night when I'm in it for ~10 hours at a time I can't handle it and I wake up in the middle of the night feeling awful. It's NOT congestion/sinus inflammation. It's a constant itching all over my body which causes nausea, dry sneezes, and a dry cough. What aspect of the cruise stateroom specifically could be causing an allergic reaction? It's not a big deal to take the Benadryl every night, I'm just curious about where it's coming from. I don't think it's the bed/sheets. It starts before I ever touch the bed, and my actual skin doesn't get irritated or break out at all. It's more like a vague-but-irritating crawly feeling all over my body including in my nose and throat.

I've never heard of something like this before.  I realize you indicate that you don't think it is the bed sheets, but it likely is nothing about the stateroom itself that is causing this, unless you have a sensitivity to the cleaning solutions used on the surfaces that you touch. But I would think it is still very possible that you are sensitive to the laundry detergent used for the towels and bed sheets.  The only other thing that I could imagine would be the air exchange system maybe has something in it's filtering system that you are sensitive to?  Really reaching with that!  

Maybe it's something with Carnival and it's time to change cruise lines!  :classic_biggrin:

Edited by leaveitallbehind

37 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I've never heard of something like this before.  I realize you indicate that you don't think it is the bed sheets, but it likely is nothing about the stateroom itself that is causing this, unless you have a sensitivity to the cleaning solutions used on the surfaces that you touch. But I would think it is still very possible that you are sensitive to the laundry detergent used for the towels and bed sheets.  The only other thing that I could imagine would be the air exchange system maybe has something in it's filtering system that you are sensitive to?  Really reaching with that!  

Maybe it's something with Carnival and it's time to change cruise lines!  :classic_biggrin:

The cleaning solution might be it, actually. The reason I say so is because I do get this occasionally (and more mildly) when I first arrive at hotels, but it never lasts for multiple days. We don't usually get our room cleaned every day at hotels (usually once or, if it's a short visit, not at all), but we do get the stateroom done every day on cruises. That would explain why it only happens when I first get into a hotel (then fades when we don't get the room redone), and keeps happening on the ship (where we keep getting it done every morning). In any event it would take a pretty strong reaction to take me away from Carnival. They have me hooked. 

18 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Do you have a problem if you overnite in air-conditioned properties?

Yes, I know they're the norm. in SoCal , but if you're from way up-state .........

JB :classic_smile:

Nope, not the A/C. We don't have them here (Central Coast) but I just moved here after 13+ years in Texas and they're a staple down there. 

14 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I would  talk to your doctor  & maybe get some allergy tests

I've had them already. The only things I know I'm allergic to are peanuts and NSAIDs (ingesting, not touching) and several grasses (the grasses cause congestion and sinus symptoms). No mold or anything like that. 

You could have a psychological reaction....does this happen in hotels? Sun can cause you to itch and feel weird if you're not used to it....or, the laundry detergent used on the sheets!

Or, simply take the benedryl! It's the easy way!

10 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

You could have a psychological reaction....does this happen in hotels? Sun can cause you to itch and feel weird if you're not used to it....or, the laundry detergent used on the sheets!

Thank you Dr. CB.

5 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

Occasionally in hotels, but it never lasts for long and it's much milder. I'm thinking now that it's probably some cleaning solution, or possibly the detergent (but I'm leaning towards the cleaning solution since it starts even when I'm not near or on the bed). The possibilities are endless, I know, I just wanted some theories. Taking the Benadryl isn't a big deal at all and I always carry it with me anyway. 

Because of DH's allergies (first *very* severe reaction was on a cruise ship), we now need to ask ALL hotels and cruise ships NOT to use any air freshener prior to our arrival.  NONE.  At hotels, they will often lock off our room for an extra day if they aren't full; that doesn't work on cruise ships, obviously.

And we tell them that although we definitely want a "full cleaning" after the prior guests have departed, once "we" are the ones there, they should avoid any harsh chemicals and any sprays.  And absolutely NOTHING with added fragrances.

They have occasionally mentioned other special steps they've taken.

Just let them know in advance.   Once that air freshener has been sprayed, it can take time to dissipate.

4 hours ago, BundlesofFun said:

I've always wondered about this and there's not really anything about it on the internet. I've only been on 2 cruises so far (10 nights total) but on both of them, I had to take a Benadryl every night to be able to sleep in the stateroom. I'm mostly fine going in and out of it during the day, but at night when I'm in it for ~10 hours at a time I can't handle it and I wake up in the middle of the night feeling awful. It's NOT congestion/sinus inflammation. It's a constant itching all over my body which causes nausea, dry sneezes, and a dry cough. What aspect of the cruise stateroom specifically could be causing an allergic reaction? It's not a big deal to take the Benadryl every night, I'm just curious about where it's coming from. I don't think it's the bed/sheets. It starts before I ever touch the bed, and my actual skin doesn't get irritated or break out at all. It's more like a vague-but-irritating crawly feeling all over my body including in my nose and throat.

4 hours ago, BundlesofFun said:

23 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Because of DH's allergies (first *very* severe reaction was on a cruise ship), we now need to ask ALL hotels and cruise ships NOT to use any air freshener prior to our arrival.  NONE.  At hotels, they will often lock off our room for an extra day if they aren't full; that doesn't work on cruise ships, obviously.

And we tell them that although we definitely want a "full cleaning" after the prior guests have departed, once "we" are the ones there, they should avoid any harsh chemicals and any sprays.  And absolutely NOTHING with added fragrances.

They have occasionally mentioned other special steps they've taken.

Just let them know in advance.   Once that air freshener has been sprayed, it can take time to dissipate.

Thank you! I might try that. I didn't even think of it. I am a little concerned about the reaction becoming more severe eventually.

21 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Were both your cruises on the same cruise line, if so try a switch.  Maybe the line you were on uses something fleet wide.

Not only same line, but same ship (Conquest). That's the other thing, it could be something specific to that ship (I hope so, that would make things a lot easier). We'll see if it happens when I go on the Magic this summer. I was planning on trying RCCL for my fourth cruise anyway, so that should tell me whether it's a Carnival issue.

9 minutes ago, BundlesofFun said:

Not only same line, but same ship (Conquest). That's the other thing, it could be something specific to that ship (I hope so, that would make things a lot easier). We'll see if it happens when I go on the Magic this summer. I was planning on trying RCCL for my fourth cruise anyway, so that should tell me whether it's a Carnival issue.

You could see an Allergist, starting well before your cruise.

Aside from allergy tests, which may or may not show anything (or anything likely to be related to cruising), they might also give you some meds to take prophylactically or "if you have symptoms".

And IF you have any severe symptoms (hives, difficulty breathing, etc.) then do NOT hesitate to go to the medical center.  That's what they are there for.  (Have medical insurance, from home or travel version!)

Good luck.

(We now travel with a little pharmacy of meds just for this one issue.)

GC

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BundlesofFun said:

Thank you! I might try that. I didn't even think of it. I am a little concerned about the reaction becoming more severe eventually.

Work with the "Special Needs" desk/department of whichever cruise line you are on (before every cruise).  We've found them to be incredibly helpful, along with the onboard officer(s) who carry through (be it dietary or the non-food allergy).

GC

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BundlesofFun said:

Please come back after both cruises and comment about your experiences on a different ship and a different cruise line.  

I'm going to guess sensitivity to some sort of cleaning product. 

If you have a balcony room, ask someone to open up the door and air out the room before you enter.  If you have an inside or window-only room, ask your cabin steward (or ask Special Needs ahead of time) to prop open the door and use a fan to air out the room.  

If you do have a reaction again, ask your room steward to NOT "clean" your room for the rest of the cruise.  They can tidy it, make the bed, etc., but ask them to not wipe anything with any kind of solution or treated cloths.  See if that minimizes your reaction throughout the week.  

Good luck!

• Like 1