Switching suite and non suite 90yo guest

Been gone from Royal for 8 years or so. Booked on Freedom on port-intensive Southern. 2 BR suite holds 8. My mom has never cruised and took up our invitation to join us for her 90th birthday. There are no more suites available on our deck so we booked her into a balcony that is as close as we could get. If we switch mom to to 2br suite after we board and put a couple of our 20 yo in the balcony, will mom be able to join us for breakfast instead of the kids ? She doesn't care about any of the other amenities and will be using a wheelchair due to the size of the ship- her cane wont be enough for the long walks s she will have handicap seating at theater.  

And before anyone flames, we arent trying to cheat. I offered to pay for her in the suite and in a balcony at the full single rate but RCL said no ( of course. ) The only other suites are on other decks and we want her close by. There are no available 2br on other decks, we got the last one .

Anyone have a suggestion OTHER THAN buy her anther suite- we would if one became available on our deck. 

Thanks

Not sure that I am understanding your question - sounds like the two 20-year-olds are in your suite and grandma is in a balcony solo.  Why can’t you switch the 20-year-olds and grandma?  Only reason I could think of would be pricing but you don’t seem to be concerned about that.  Is it because you want her in her own private cabin and not in your suite?  

If that’s what you mean, she cannot join you unless she has a true full suite of her own.  Same way if the 20-year-olds are in a standard balcony they would lose their suite privileges.  

41 minutes ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

Not sure that I am understanding your question - sounds like the two 20-year-olds are in your suite and grandma is in a balcony solo.  Why can’t you switch the 20-year-olds and grandma?  Only reason I could think of would be pricing but you don’t seem to be concerned about that.  Is it because you want her in her own private cabin and not in your suite?  

If that’s what you mean, she cannot join you unless she has a true full suite of her own.  Same way if the 20-year-olds are in a standard balcony they would lose their suite privileges.  

The kids don't care about suite priv.- which are neglible on Freedom at the best! If they want a canape they can go to the Diamond Lounge. We were not able to book the 20 year olds into a balcony as they are only 20 and there are no adjoining available.

Thank you!

• Like 2

I would call and make the change in advance, so that your mom is ACTUALLY listed as being in your suite.  Keep calling until you get someone who will do it...there is no reason 20 year olds can't be apart from the "parents"!  If you're a C&A member, that's who I'd call.  It may change your pricing, tho...

1 hour ago, Danitroline said:

Been gone from Royal for 8 years or so. Booked on Freedom on port-intensive Southern. 2 BR suite holds 8. My mom has never cruised and took up our invitation to join us for her 90th birthday. There are no more suites available on our deck so we booked her into a balcony that is as close as we could get. If we switch mom to to 2br suite after we board and put a couple of our 20 yo in the balcony, will mom be able to join us for breakfast instead of the kids ? She doesn't care about any of the other amenities and will be using a wheelchair due to the size of the ship- her cane wont be enough for the long walks s she will have handicap seating at theater.  

And before anyone flames, we arent trying to cheat. I offered to pay for her in the suite and in a balcony at the full single rate but RCL said no ( of course. ) The only other suites are on other decks and we want her close by. There are no available 2br on other decks, we got the last one .

Anyone have a suggestion OTHER THAN buy her anther suite- we would if one became available on our deck. 

Thanks

It holds 8 - do you already have 8 booked in it?

I agree with gerif!  We have had this issue on a couple of cruises. Onboard the Splendour for a Baltic cruise our daughter (18 at the time) and her girlfriend decided they wanted to come with us! DH and I were reserved in an OS and we were not able to book a connecting cabin or across the hall inside cabin.  However, there was an inside cabin just around the corner that I thought was suitable.  Found someone in customer relations and voila...    Escalate it..Royal wants your money and wants to keep you happy.  Happy and safe travels.

:)Pam

You can book 20-year-olds in a cabin by themselves (even much younger) as long as you are close by.  

You didn’t mention that the “kids” were diamond in their own right and would have diamond lounge access.

I agree with others - not sure what special breakfast you are referring to - but it would seem to be easier to let grandma have the suite so she would have concierge lounge access with you.  

1 hour ago, Danitroline said:

The kids don't care about suite priv.- which are neglible on Freedom at the best! If they want a canape they can go to the Diamond Lounge. We were not able to book the 20 year olds into a balcony as they are only 20 and there are no adjoining available.

Thank you!

See above post!

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

9 hours ago, Dr. Pam said:

I agree with gerif!  We have had this issue on a couple of cruises. Onboard the Splendour for a Baltic cruise our daughter (18 at the time) and her girlfriend decided they wanted to come with us! DH and I were reserved in an OS and we were not able to book a connecting cabin or across the hall inside cabin.  However, there was an inside cabin just around the corner that I thought was suitable.  Found someone in customer relations and voila...    Escalate it..Royal wants your money and wants to keep you happy.  Happy and safe travels.

:)Pam

I spoke with he BEST service rep when I boked this and another cruise several days ago. Today I think I had the reincarnated Three Stooges!

I ended up moving Mom into the bigger suite with me and the hubby OR she will be with the kids in the same suite . Well see. They know this is probably a once in a life time thing for Mom . They are 18,20 and 20 and want to spoil her!

I was able to get a great deal on a Grand Suite on another deck and waitlisted on the deck our 2br is on. I know they wont let the young adults stay alone in that suite so maybe the hubs and I will take it and leave the party to the old and the young!

Thanks for all your responses 

I know that the suite hold 8 but we want Mom to have privacy; she thinks that the second bedroom is perfect. ill feel better having her close by as she is quite hard of hearing.

Thanks for the replies, all!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

You will be on the Freedom which doesn't have a lot of the bells and whistles like the Oasis Class does.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

You will be on the Freedom which doesn't have a lot of the bells and whistles like the Oasis Class does.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk    *********************************************************

I know that Freedom has meh suite perks. we like the size of the suites. As this cruise is with only one sea day we wont be needing much like aconcierge or the "Genie/butler we were assigned on nCL. We were looking at ALlure and to accommodate all of us in suites was a minimum of 19K- the two suites that  we now have came to less than half of that. Looking forward to this cruise-we sailed in the same suite seven years ago.

LtYou will be on the Freedom which doesn't have a lot of the bells and whistles like the Oasis Class does.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I assume that the breakfast is the private breakfast in the specialty restaurant, either Chops or Giovanni's Table, depending on the ship.

yes it is

• 2 months later...
On 1/19/2019 at 2:39 PM, gerif said:

The 20 yos do not have to be In connecting cabins. A few doors down should work but you need to call to do this. Not sure what breakfast you’re concerned with. There is no CK on Freedom. 

Suites have breakfast in a specialty- Chops maybe? Its been awhile

On 1/19/2019 at 2:21 PM, cb at sea said:

I would call and make the change in advance, so that your mom is ACTUALLY listed as being in your suite.  Keep calling until you get someone who will do it...there is no reason 20 year olds can't be apart from the "parents"!  If you're a C&A member, that's who I'd call.  It may change your pricing, tho...

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/international-age-policy

For voyages originating in North America:
No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.