Behavior warning email

RNmominLA

4 hours ago, naxer said:

Even when it's legal in a state, either for medical or recreational purposes,  it's still an illegal drug federally.  

Yes- that's the same law that applies to the drinking age onboard... regardless of what it is in each state, it's the federal law that takes precedence.

They have taken a drug dog aboard the Vista in Galveston several times, recently, and at least two weeks in a row, they removed several people from the ship in handcuffs.  And did you see the instance of the drug dog that was overdosed by fentanyl on a recent inspection?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RNmominLA said:

I am sailing on Valor next week and I just received an email from Carnival regarding bad behavior and ship rules. I’ve been cruising on Carnival for years, and this is the first time I’ve ever received an email like this. Did something happen recently to prompt this? Just curious.

RNmominLA- I guess you received this because your reputation proceeds you!!!

(LOL- just joking, please don't take this wrong, I just couldn't resist!)

As others have said, it would be nice if Carnival started buttoning up some of the rules and enforcing them... at the same time, I don't want them to become the cruise Nazis, overseeing and dictating every move onboard. Things like smoking where you're not supposed to I'm in agreement with... but enforcing the dress code? That's a great big nope to me... I could care less what others wear to the MDR...

Having said that, I see that it is very important to some, so I think Carnival needs to come up with a plan that satisfies everyone- maybe a casual MDR for every day of the cruise and a regular one where the dress code as published is enforced? That way, everyone is happy with the policy.

All of that discussion aside, a timely reminder to cruisers how to behave in public is never a bad thing! So I'm glad to see Carnival doing this (even if it wasn't directed at the OP! ☺️)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, deadmoney said:

What about once you are in International waters?

Can you fire one up then?

Nope.  Carnival abides by US federal laws for stuff like that; I imagine all the cruise lines do.

Plus, can you imagine the mayhem if Carnival was known as the cruise line where it was OK to smoke pot while at sea?

2 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Nope.  Carnival abides by US federal laws for stuff like that; I imagine all the cruise lines do.

Plus, can you imagine the mayhem if Carnival was known as the cruise line where it was OK to smoke pot while at sea?

:classic_ohmy: ☺️

• Like 1

6 hours ago, naxer said:

Even when it's legal in a state, either for medical or recreational purposes,  it's still an illegal drug federally.  

True. And the penalties at various ports of call for marijuana  can be very severe - not allowing it on board to begin with can avoid someone getting into serious criminal trouble. 

Ans of course it is against the rules to bring on alcohol - and that is a fully legal ‘drug’ everywhere.  

I'm glad to see that Carnival is reminding upcoming cruisers of the rules.  And I hope they enforce them, as well. We treated ourselves to a balcony cabin - first time in several years - on our September cruise last year.  Smoke, loud music, slamming balcony doors....My husband did ask nicely, but we were not only ignored, but it seemed even worse after he mentioned it to our neighbors.

For the poster who suggested multiple MDR's so everyone would be happy, which would include one where the dress code as currently published is enforced....to me, that says it all.  If I do not want to follow the rules, I won't eat in the MDR, but choose the Lido or other options.   I don't know why this comes up all the time...to me, it is very simple.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TubT said:

They have taken a drug dog aboard the Vista in Galveston several times, recently, and at least two weeks in a row, they removed several people from the ship in handcuffs.  And did you see the instance of the drug dog that was overdosed by fentanyl on a recent inspection?

I’ve heard of drug dogs coming on board! But didn’t not hear about the overdose. That’s TERRIBLE!!!

2 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

can you imagine the mayhem if Carnival was known as the cruise line where it was OK to smoke pot while at sea?

Well, it's called a FUN ship....isn't it.

Last week getting off at Cozumel they had drug dogs, we had to put our bags on the ground for the dog to do his thing.

Frankly I find it sad that Carnival feels the need to send out a notice reminding us how to behave.  

BTW enjoy the Valor. It's my favorite!

19 hours ago, RNmominLA said:

I am sailing on Valor next week and I just received an email from Carnival regarding bad behavior and ship rules. I’ve been cruising on Carnival for years, and this is the first time I’ve ever received an email like this. Did something happen recently to prompt this? Just curious. 455F208E-CF6F-45C6-AD55-D4AB42783FEC.thumb.png.6af27ff403e0ff55b85634bef1b9b125.png

I heard these emails were only being sent to known trouble makers. 😎

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bethshebas said:

Well, it's called a FUN ship....isn't it.

Last week getting off at Cozumel they had drug dogs, we had to put our bags on the ground for the dog to do his thing.

Frankly I find it sad that Carnival feels the need to send out a notice reminding us how to behave.  

BTW enjoy the Valor. It's my favorite!

Those dogs that check bags getting off the ship in Cozumel are trained agricultural dogs. They’re not detecting drugs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mommawo said:

Wonder if they will start drug sniffing dogs and if cbd oil would alert them ? Lots of people use this instead of marijuana for medical reasons.  It’s the plant without the thc so is legal in the United States 

6 hours ago, coevan said:

We have brought CBD oil for serious ailments and it works. It has no discernible odor and not detectable by dogs. The country is getting closer to understanding the benefits of CBD oils. 

CBD oil is treated the same as marijuana under Federal law on flights, on cruise ships and crossing the border.  It isn't legal in the US. It may be legal in some states and it remains illegal in others.  It remains a Schedule 1 drug under Federal statues.  https://www.thestreet.com/lifestyle/health/is-cbd-oil-legal-14802001

Edited by Elaine5715

It's immaterial to me since I don't use it. Even if I did, I wouldn't take the chance of trying to take it on a ship. The whole issue in the state of Texas is pretty muddled; not many members of government or law enforcement know the difference between the two plants. It's all pretty ridiculous, in my opinion. Let people make their own choices, as long as they don't impact others.

23 hours ago, jessbp said:

I find it so strange that marijuana is prohibited. I take several prescribed medications and took them onboard by last cruise. Nobody even looked twice at what they were, they could’ve been all sorts of hard drugs and people do take two of these medications I take as a ‘party drug’ (though at a much higher dose than I take) so it just baffles me that something (even with a prescription?) is not allowed. 

Not that i’m really complaining. I dislike the stuff and it smells foul so the further away from me, the better (and it’s very illegal in my country) I just think it’s odd. 

Not sure what country you are from, but in the US marijuana is illegal on the federal level. So that’s why is not permitted onboard. 

Canada just legalized cannabis in October.

I will assume, based on our weather, that many Canadians cruise in the winter months.

As winter cruising begins maybe this is a reminder to everyone but Canadians in specific that pot is illegal in the U.S. 🙂

6 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

Canada just legalized cannabis in October.

I will assume, based on our weather, that many Canadians cruise in the winter months.

As winter cruising begins maybe this is a reminder to everyone but Canadians in specific that pot is illegal in the U.S. 🙂

Small problem here, there's only a small percentage of cruisers that read cruise critic ,much less Canadians .:classic_blink: