hotels near san pedro cruise port

bliss48

You'd get more of a response on the West Coast Ports board...

But here's my take:

If I'm only there for the night before...ie not multiple days with sightseeing in the LA area...Just wanting a convenient place to sleep for the night with a nice dinner the eve of the cruise perhaps, then IMHO, there are really only two choices to consider:  The Crowne Plaza and the Doubletree...

The Doubletree is in a more serene setting--on the yacht marina down channel from the cruise port...It is not near many restaurants other than the 22nd Street Landing (Seafood)...but they will shuttle you to restaurants in Downtown San Pedro.  The Crowne Plaza is in a much more convenient location--near lots of restaurant choices...and really walking distance from the pier (about 3-4 blocks/0.7 miles)...Some good , reasonably priced, casual restaurants within about two blocks--including my choice, the San Pedro Brewing Company...but also the Green Onion (Mexican) and a few Italian places (J Trani's, Neil's, Raffaelo's, Niko's), Whale & Tail (pub food) and more...

Some people stay at the Best Western--but I don't like the area and there's nothing other than fast food nearby...

I would not stay in Long Beach unless I was there for longer than just overnight--it's a long taxi or Uber ride to the pier the next morning...I especially wouldn't stay at the Queen Mary unless you really wanted to stay in a stuffy old historical relic...It's just not a good hotel...Long Beach has several very good hotels--both Hyatts, the Renaissance, the Westin, the Maya Doubletree, Residence Inn Downtown and the Hilton...But, again, not very convenient to the pier in San Pedro.

We stayed at the Hyatt the Pike. Absolutely LOVED it! Nice, trendy boutique hotel with rooftop pool and excellent views of the Queen Mary and port area. Many restaurants right across the street at Shoreline Village. Quick taxi or Uber ride to port.

• Like 2

We stayed at the Best Western in San Pedro. It was very reasonable with a decent breakfast and a free shuttle to the port. There were no fancy restaurants nearby but were easily accessible by taxi or probably a short walk. There were several fast casual places very nearby and we enjoyed a couple of those.

Medium Priced

Crown Plaza - near the ship and harbor area, walking distance to some stores, like CVS, Vons for supplies and restaurants.

Doubletree, about a mile south of the Crown Plaza next to the Marina.

Lower Priced

Sunrise Hotel right on Harbor Blvd

All have free shuttles to the ship.

We usually stay at and enjoy the Crown Plaza. On our last cruise, however, rooms were hideously high priced. The Doubletree was full up. We wound up staying at a hotel near the Long Beach airport (wish I could remember the name) that had a free shuttle to/from the San Pedro dock.

On 1/24/2019 at 4:09 PM, bliss48 said:

We are leaving on Feb 18  from san pedro....want to have a hotel for the night before....................any suggestions would so be appreciated.......

cheeeeeers  and happy cruising

We always stay at The Queen Mary.

https://queenmary.com/hotel/

Not expensive.. close to the cruise port.

Good luck.  Enjoy your cruise.

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

We like the Doubletree. If you get the park and go package (or whatever it's called), you can park your car there for free while you're cruising. They offer a free shuttle to and from the pier. And they give you hot chocolate chip cookies when you check in.

We have been staying at the Crowne Plaza where they have a decent breakfast buffet and provide transportation to the ship.  However it is so close that one could walk to the ship with their rolling luggage.  The USS Iowa is berthed nearby and an easy walk.  

You can get a room that overlooks the port so that you can watch the ship arriving the morning of your departure.  

Edited by satxdiver

We've stayed at the Crown Plaza several times.  Love the location and the restaurants in the area.  Especially Nikos, the Mexican place at the pier and the Whale and Tail.  There used to be a wonderful strudel place, that has closed :classic_sad:. There is a menswear/uniform store nearby that we always visit - especially after my husband forgot to pack any long pants on one trip.  He stocked up there with a couple pairs of pants that the store had shortened for us in time for our cruise.  There is a trolley car that runs near the pier and is an interesting ride.  The area is undergoing gentrification, but I just love the area and wandering around.  Stayed at the Best Western when it was a Holiday Inn.  The area has nothing.

We just stayed at the Doubletree and LOVED it.  Great room (we got upgraded to a full suite), nice staff and warm chocolate chip cookies at check-in.  Free shuttle to pier the next morning took about 5 minutes and only had our ship as a stop.

Only negatives - no free breakfast and not much else in the area.  While nearby dining was very limited, the food in the dining room was excellent and reasonably priced.

Highly recommend this hotel.

I have booked the Best Western Plus in San Pedro for a night before an upcoming cruise.  I know it has a shuttle but has anyone walked to the pier from there?  I really prefer to walk and have heard that the shuttle fills up.

Google maps says 20 minutes' walk.

Thanks guys!