Taking drinks *off* the boat

hi all - I have a question about carnivals cheers package. So I know about the limits and I know about carnivals policy about bringing drinks on board but is there anything against bringing drinks off board? I know it's cheap of me but I'm only getting the package because everyone in the cabin is, and I know I will not be able to drink enough to get my money's worth. So I was wondering if I would be able to just....collect drinks and hoard them, just to hit the 60$ per day quota. Like the vitamin waters or the bottles waters and energy drinks. And bring them off the ship with me into the port. And then at the end of the cruise, if I have any bottles left over, I'd just put them in my carry-on and take them with me. Anyways I know it sounds bad but as I said, I wouldn't be getting the cheers package normally except I'm pretty much forced to so I want to try to break even. Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Plantderivedingredients

26 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

we always take bottled water off the ship with us  so I do not see a problem taking sodas or sports drinks off

In some ports, we were not allowed to take any drinks other than water off the ship.  In one port, we were even denied bottled water to be brought off.  Had to purchase once onshore.  In San Diego, we had to dump our water out that we still had in our water bottle before reboarding the ship.

Each port has it's own requirements for what can and cannot be brought off the ship.

Edited by Shmoo here
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

In some ports, we were not allowed to take any drinks other than water off the ship.  In one port, we were even denied bottled water to be brought off.  Had to purchase once onshore.  In San Diego, we had to dump our water out that we still had in our water bottle before reboarding the ship.

Each port has it's own requirements for what can and cannot be brought off the ship.

On your last day getting off the ship (disembarkment I think is the term?) Did they prohibit you from bringing drinks off the boat? 

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

In one port, we were even denied bottled water to be brought off.  Had to purchase once onshore.

what port was that?

it is more the cruise line that makes you dump bottle contents when reboarding

7 hours ago, Plantderivedingredients said:

hi all - I have a question about carnivals cheers package. So I know about the limits and I know about carnivals policy about bringing drinks on board but is there anything against bringing drinks off board? I know it's cheap of me but I'm only getting the package because everyone in the cabin is, and I know I will not be able to drink enough to get my money's worth.

How about asking everyone else in the room to pitch in towards the drink package that you don't want?  

I'd be PISSED about paying $420 for something I wasn't going to use (honestly, I'd just refuse), just because everyone else in the room wants to get sloppy drunk on the ship.  If they would spend $1000 on booze if they didn't have the package, they could each pitch in $100 towards the cost of your package and still come out ahead.  And if they don't think they'll be drinking $520 worth of booze, why are they getting the package at all????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Half Moon Cay is all Carnival, their private island (well okay, it really belongs to HAL) so there won't be anyone telling you no.  Noone is going to inspect your bags in Nassau or Freeport.  But plan on drinking it all when ashore, because unless it is soda in cans, you won't be able to bring it back onboard.  EM

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, brillohead said:

How about asking everyone else in the room to pitch in towards the drink package that you don't want?  

I'd be PISSED about paying $420 for something I wasn't going to use (honestly, I'd just ship.  If they would spend $1000 on booze if they didn't have the package, they could each pitch in $100 towards the cost of your package and still come out ahead.  And if they don't think they'll be drinking $520 worth of booze, why are they getting the package at all????

Yeah...but I can't really get mad about this. For them it's def the best option. It's really my fault bc I just can't drink that many drinks a day. And I don't mind it too much, as long as I can find a way to maximize my benefits. So I was planning on gathering bottles of their non alcoholic stuff, and then bringing whatever's leftover home with me. But idk if that's against regulations or not. I'm driving, so we wouldn't be going on a plane or anything. 

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Half Moon Cay is all Carnival, their private island (well okay, it really belongs to HAL) so there won't be anyone telling you no.  Noone is going to inspect your bags in Nassau or Freeport.  But plan on drinking it all when ashore, because unless it is soda in cans, you won't be able to bring it back onboard.  EM

Thanks! Yeah, I'm not worried about bringing it back bc there's always gonna be more on the ship. 

29 minutes ago, Plantderivedingredients said:

Yeah...but I can't really get mad about this. For them it's def the best option. It's really my fault bc I just can't drink that many drinks a day. And I don't mind it too much, as long as I can find a way to maximize my benefits. So I was planning on gathering bottles of their non alcoholic stuff, and then bringing whatever's leftover home with me. But idk if that's against regulations or not. I'm driving, so we wouldn't be going on a plane or anything. 

Best option for them doesn't have to mean best option for you.  If they're friends who are benefiting, they should pony up some of the charges, IMO.  

My friends don't make me subsidize the cost of their booze.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

Best option for them doesn't have to mean best option for you.  If they're friends who are benefiting, they should pony up some of the charges, IMO.  

My friends don't make me subsidize the cost of their booze....

Haha well we're pretty lucky to be going on this cruise anyways, so even if only for their peace of mind that they can have fun and drink, I'll pay for my part. I'm just trying to figure out what carnival's policy is regarding taking drinks off the ship into the ports. 

• Like 2

First I hope you have a great time. And with your attitude seen here, I'm sure you will.

I don't ever remember having my backpack searched getting off the ship and that is over a dozen cruises.

BTW, I have found that a lot of times, just a few minutes walk away from port you will find a small convenience store that caters more to workers and not cruisers and prices will be less for your mixes and snacks. Of course check out Google/Bing maps to be sure.

Enjoy your trip!

16 minutes ago, Plantderivedingredients said:

Haha well we're pretty lucky to be going on this cruise anyways, so even if only for their peace of mind that they can have fun and drink, I'll pay for my part. I'm just trying to figure out what carnival's policy is regarding taking drinks off the ship into the ports. 

I've cruised Carnival several times and never have had a problem taking off bottle water or soda while in port. Sometimes it wasn't even sealed. I've filled up sports bottles with ice and water from the buffet in the lido deck to have while in port. No issues whatsoever getting it off. 

The last day, it has been the same scenario. We weren't really hoarding but have had leftover soda and water that we didn't use. We just dumped it in one of our suitcases and disembarked like normal. You should be fine.

Have a good cruise !

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brillohead said:

My friends don't make me subsidize the cost of their booze.....

So nice when someone asks a very specific question and someone else goes off on their own hobby horse and rants about something that has nothing to do with the question.

Kind of like when someone asks about internet speed on a given ship and gets inundated with messages about how they should unplug because they're on vacation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tak81288 said:

I've cruised Carnival several times and never have had a problem taking off bottle water or soda while in port. Sometimes it wasn't even sealed. I've filled up sports bottles with ice and water from the buffet in the lido deck to have while in port. No issues whatsoever getting it off. 

The last day, it has been the same scenario. We weren't really hoarding but have had leftover soda and water that we didn't use. We just dumped it in one of our suitcases and disembarked like normal. You should be fine.

Have a good cruise !

Thanks for the reply! Haha that's what I was trying to find out, just didn't know how to word it right I guess. 😅 

1 hour ago, Mike981 said:

First I hope you have a great time. And with your attitude seen here, I'm sure you will.

I don't ever remember having my backpack searched getting off the ship and that is over a dozen cruises.

BTW, I have found that a lot of times, just a few minutes walk away from port you will find a small convenience store that caters more to workers and not cruisers and prices will be less for your mixes and snacks. Of course check out Google/Bing maps to be sure.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for the tip! That reminds me to make offline maps of the islands and ports also. 

• Like 1