Possible back surgery☹️

James4me

Hello.  I knew this might happen, I’ll need a back surgery maybe April/May this year.  I booked the Panorama, Havana retreat/aft wrap balcony for May, 2020.  I’m usually very mobile, however I’ve had several back surgeries and this one is cutting close to sail date as far as recovery.  I guess I can just chill and relax in the Havana retreat.  Try not to walk too much but I’m upset not being able to be very mobile.  I don’t want to cancel.  I think I might have a problem tendering in Cabo.  Accessibility getting on and off the ship.  My question, has anyone had mobility issues on their cruise and how did you handle it?

My wife uses a walker from time to time (weak knees from operations  ) I'm usually her main man on the job.   Consider taking a walker it can help or a friend to tag along for support.  Hope you feel better fast .

We were on a Journey cruise in November aboard the Breeze.  There were more walkers and scooters then I have ever seen.  I am sure they can assist in whatever way you would need.  I was concerned for others in tender ports, but it worked well and fairly easy.  As my comical friend says, good luck with the surgery.  

Thank you BoDidly.  I do have a walker which I’ll bring.  I’m just upset that I’ll miss out on so many things.  But if I can still cruise and take this trip as a relaxing/do nothing cruise I should just be happy right?  I will access the spa more maybe.

9 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Your surgery is a year before your sail date. Not sure I understand the problem.

ive had 3 back surgeries and each one was 6 to 8 weeks recovery.

everyone is different, every procedure/surgeries is different. There is no one size fits all in the medical field. . That is great you recovered quickly, i know some people who take a long time to fully recover. After the surgery, the people i know had to re-learn how to walk and needed many months of physical therapy. Its not easy and is a very long process

Edited by shof515
  • Like 1

I'm not sure exactly what your limitations will be.  Depending on your needs, here are some options:

• Use wheelchair assistance for embarkation and debarkation.  They will take you to the atrium, and you are on your own from there.
  • Rent a wheelchair or scooter for the duration of the cruise.  It will be in your stateroom when you arrive and you leave it there when you go.  This has to be arranged through a 3rd party prior to the cruise.
  • Purchase  your own wheelchair or scooter.

There is absolutely no reason that a lack of mobility should keep you from enjoying your cruise.  Do what you need to do!

• Thanks 1

About 10 years ago, I had L3 - L5 spinal fusion with 2 rods and six titanium screws put into my back and I was up walking gingerly 2 days after the surgery and in rehab 4 days later.  Technology has certainly improved this procedure since then, and reduced rehab time as well.

The OP is having her back surgery this April/May and not sailing until May 2020, a full year later.  I don't understand her concern, unless there are other unmentioned co-morbidities.  If her cruise was May 2019 and not 2020, I would, but with a year to recover, she might be a marathon walker by then.

• Thanks 1

My doctor would not let me travel after my back surgery.  He said if anything happen they would not have the necessary equipment to deal with the spine.  I had to cancel my trip I am glad we got insurance.  

Edited by ddbaab53

15 hours ago, James4me said:

Accessibility getting on and off the ship.  My question, has anyone had mobility issues on their cruise and how did you handle it?

My DH has mobility issues.  You can request wheelchair assistance for embarkation day and disembarkation day.  We have our TA notify Carnival then on the sailing day we notify someone in a CCL uniform that we need the assistance and they take over from there.  He's wheeled through check-in in their wheelchair and onto the ship.  In Canaveral we were dropped off in the Atrium.  It's a HUGE help for him not having to tackle those long ramps.  

Disembarkation day they had us meet in the theater where, when our zone was called, the pusher took him all the way out to where the shuttle to the hotel would pick us up.  I always use a porter to take our bags from luggage claim out to the shuttle pick-up area.

The last cruise we ordered a wheelchair that would fold to be left in the cabin in case we needed it.  It wasn't cheap but worth so he didn't have to miss out on activities.  We used the company recommended in the CCL FAQ's.  They have push wheelchairs, electric scooters as well as walkers available to rent. They're left in your cabin for your arrival

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ddbaab53 said:

My doctor would not let me travel after my back surgery.  He said if anything happen they would not have the necessary equipment to deal with the spine.  I had to cancel my trip I am glad we got insurance.  

A year after surgery or ever? If you are not healed after a year, the surgery was not successful 

10 minutes ago, coevan said:

A year after surgery or ever? If you are not healed after a year, the surgery was not successful 

coevan, this was back in April of 2016 and we were going with some friends a couple of weeks after the first surgery which was not successful.  He had his complete lumbar spine rebuilt twice that year.  He is doing better and we have cruised several times since then.  He was not expected to be able to walk again but he is waking straight and we are so happy.

Its all in the attitude. I broke the arch of my foot 7 weeks before a cruise. We could have cancelled and most of my friends where shocked we where still going on our cruise. But I felt like a cruise was the only vacation I could enjoy since I was non weight bearing. It was 6 months before I could start to walk again in a boot and a year before I was close to pain free.

My DH took the kids off ship in ports they where 10 and 8. I lounged around more than ever, read more books and made the best of it. When the pain got to be to much I did what I needed to (ei used the wheel chair we had rented) Sure it was frustrating being jostled by people especially in elevators. Watching people get on for 1 or 2 floors when I would do anything to climb the stairs. But hopping was not a safe choice. On port days when I was alone staff helped me get food. I was on a knee scooter and they where always asking to do anything they could for me. Lots of please and thank you s that week.

No one can say if cancelling is the best choice or not, especially so far away. If your in pain and would not enjoy yourself by the time of final payment I would not go. If its manageable and your fine with limits on what you can do then go and make the best of it. One thing if you decided to go do it with your eyes wide open as to what you can and what you can not do. Enjoy what you can do. Don't wallow in what you can't. Have patience, lots and lots of patience.

• Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for your responses.  This is not my first back surgery.  I’ve had complications ever since getting the first one.  Nonetheless I’m hoping this surgery will correct some problems.  I don’t want to cancel.  If need be I’ll reserve a wheelchair.  We are staying in a Havana cabin, aft wrap, deck 6.  I can just relax in the Havana retreat if needed.  

I know this is a subjective question but according to the cruise contract a person has to be fit to travel. You need to make sure that your doctor and travel insurance company has cleared you to travel a great distance were follow-up medical care could dubious. I do think a year recovery time is more than acceptable.  Good luck in your recovery. 

Edited by Purvis1231
typo
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

I know this is a subjective question but according to the cruise contract a person has to be fit to travel. You need to make sure that your doctor and travel insurance company has cleared you to travel a great distance were follow-up medical care could dubious. I do think a year recovery time is more than acceptable.  Good luck in your recovery. 

You may have just opened up a hornets nest :classic_tongue:.  In your opinion should Carnival have relied on peoples honesty ?

Or have their doctors examine people before they board ?

I will no doubt get my doctor’s approval prior to final payment.  Back issues are tricky, especially recovery time.  I believe I have ample time to do just that, recover before our cruise date, but also prepare for unforeseen things that can arise, this may be by obtaining a wheelchair which would be wise.  

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 9:15 PM, BoDidly said:

You may have just opened up a hornets nest :classic_tongue:.  In your opinion should Carnival have relied on peoples honesty ?

Or have their doctors examine people before they board ?

It is my understanding that Carnival can request medical personal to examine a passenger prior to boarding.