Sewage smell throughout Celebrity Edge?

layingblames

Threatening to never sail with them again doesn't really work.  I'd suggest you write a (short) letter instead because your aggravation is probably not doing you any favors at this point.  Keep it to the salient points and don't use the word "liar."  Have someone who wasn't on the trip read your letter before you send it and take suggested revisions to heart.  State in that letter what you think the appropriate compensation is and be realistic.  They're not likely going to refund the entire cost of the trip.

You should also check out Christopher Elliott's consumer advocacy page.  elliott.org 

He has some good tips on how to seek satisfaction for valid complaints.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bEwAbG said:

Threatening to never sail with them again doesn't really work.  I'd suggest you write a (short) letter instead because your aggravation is probably not doing you any favors at this point.  Keep it to the salient points and don't use the word "liar."  Have someone who wasn't on the trip read your letter before you send it and take suggested revisions to heart.  State in that letter what you think the appropriate compensation is and be realistic.  They're not likely going to refund the entire cost of the trip.

You should also check out Christopher Elliott's consumer advocacy page.  elliott.org 

He has some good tips on how to seek satisfaction for valid complaints.

Thank you for your feedback.  We did initially write a polite letter explaining our frustrations after we got off the cruise.  It was 2 weeks later that I called them because I still hadn't heard anything.  I continued to be calm until today when they told me nobody on the ship verified our complaint and for that reason, this was all they could offer.

I will check out Christopher Elliott's page.  Thank you!

• Like 2

I just read all the way through this thread from the beginning...yes, a slow day for me!  If I had never sailed with Celebrity before, I would most likely choose a different cruise line, unless of course I had read a perponderous of threads from people I actually thought were pretty objective.  It seems like deck 11 forward has the big issues, and pouring water down one's drain can help, especially inside the cabin.  I have a jacuzzi tub that has done the same on several ocassions, so that I totally understand.  Honestly, I am thankful for everyone who has noted issues with Edge, especially in writing, as hopefully the issues are corrected.  Furthermore, I always believe face to face communication is the best, as are facts without unecessary opinions and joining sides.  However, none of us is perfect.  Having said that, I look forward to my end of April cruise, not just for the sniff test, but to see and experience Edge for myself...thanks for all the comments!

Texed, I loved your comment.  

Edited by Lastdance
  • Thanks 1

On 2/8/2019 at 11:05 AM, ipeeinthepool said:

Thanks for the info, there are simple logical explanations for the smell and there could be larger issues.  Perhaps we are getting to the point of larger issues.  Many of us appreciate the honest reporting.  There are Edenites or relatives of Edenites that attack anyone on this board that say anything negative about the Edge.  Please don’t let it bother you and continue to report your experiences.

I always post what I believe  is helpful  or an issue to be aired...and would not be deterred.. I have some of the Edenist rels  blocked so I do not  have to read their self serving  posts.

We walked past the deck 9 forward area sev times  almost daily and the smell in the hallway was very evident...down to where the suite area began.

I have a good sense of smell as does dh     The smell was unmistakeable!   Walking by is one thing..living with it AWFUL@

Edited by hcat

When we were onboard the same time as @hcat we did smell it too, but it wasn’t unfamiliar to us because we have smelled that smell on every cruise ship we have sailed at some point. Is it worse on the Edge?

One thing we learned on another cruise forum, is that if the bathroom starts to smell, pour some water down the floor drain, not the one in the shower, under the toilet in our bathroom on the Edge. Apparently that can hold a smell if not cleared out with some water. One day in fact in our bathroom it was wet in that area, I wonder if our stateroom host put some water into this drain?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, randy98mtu said:

Thank you for your feedback.  We did initially write a polite letter explaining our frustrations after we got off the cruise.  It was 2 weeks later that I called them because I still hadn't heard anything.  I continued to be calm until today when they told me nobody on the ship verified our complaint and for that reason, this was all they could offer.

I will check out Christopher Elliott's page.  Thank you!

Thanks for the update.  All I've read about is the problem, not how one is treated when it is pressed.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

I would leave resolution to the stateroom attendant...but glad we were not impacted during our EDGE cruise.

We were on a cabin crawl  to various decks and locations , and the behind the scenes access tour......No smell  noticed anywhere.  Just deck 9 as described.,,odd????

On Royal C, Radiance had many known sewage/ pipe troubles ..we were lucky but decided to stop cruising that Class ship!  Wonder how they are doing now????

We for sure noticed it regularly between the rooftop garden eating area and the sunset bar. It was weird in that you only got the odor for a step or two. The other time was just walking a cabin hallway, but I don’t remember the deck. 

We weren't by the martini bar often, but when I was I didn’t smell anything there. 

4 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

When we were onboard the same time as @hcat we did smell it too, but it wasn’t unfamiliar to us because we have smelled that smell on every cruise ship we have sailed at some point. Is it worse on the Edge?

One thing we learned on another cruise forum, is that if the bathroom starts to smell, pour some water down the floor drain, not the one in the shower, under the toilet in our bathroom on the Edge. Apparently that can hold a smell if not cleared out with some water. One day in fact in our bathroom it was wet in that area, I wonder if our stateroom host put some water into this drain?

We have never smelled sewage on any other cruise line  we’ve been on 8 different lines

20 minutes ago, Caymus88 said:

We have never smelled sewage on any other cruise line  we’ve been on 8 different lines

Interesting, we have encountered it for sure on Disney and possibly RCCL, but not sure on that one now. 

I definitely know it was a familiar odor to us, so we didn’t think anything happened of it. Perhaps Disney ships have issues too, no idea. 

2 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

Interesting, we have encountered it for sure on Disney and possibly RCCL, but not sure on that one now. 

I definitely know it was a familiar odor to us, so we didn’t think anything happened of it. Perhaps Disney ships have issues too, no idea. 

Lot's of people had sewage smell issues on the "Grandeur of the Seas", some people called it "Stinky of the Seas"

6 hours ago, randy98mtu said:

Thank you for your feedback.  We did initially write a polite letter explaining our frustrations after we got off the cruise.  It was 2 weeks later that I called them because I still hadn't heard anything.

I wrote a polite letter as well and never heard back. I definitely spoke to the people in the Retreat area, and they didn’t know the cause of the smell. I didn’t know I needed to lodge an official complaint in order for it to get logged - but that’s my naiveté of the cruise world, I suppose. Def point them to this thread, where many long-term cruisers have commented they experienced the same!

1 hour ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Maybe we need a map, deck by deck, showing the problem areas.  If passengers can avoid it most of the time, and choose better cabin locations, it would help.

Fore of the ship, floors 9 and 11. While that was end of January, seems to still be an issue?

• Thanks 1

Just got off of the Edge on Sunday and I'm sorry to report the smell is still there. Most noticeably in the sunset bar area and even the outdoor ocean view cafe area. At certain times it was so bad we had to leave the area. It literally smelled like an overflowing outhouse! Several people smelled it too. Also noticed it in our friends deck 3 forward area. We reported it but never received an explanation. I hope they can figure it out. It didn't ruin our cruise though. We loved the Edge. Amazing ship! Just a little stinky at times lol!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sledhead said:

Just got off of the Edge on Sunday and I'm sorry to report the smell is still there. Most noticeably in the sunset bar area and even the outdoor ocean view cafe area. At certain times it was so bad we had to leave the area. It literally smelled like an overflowing outhouse! Several people smelled it too. Also noticed it in our friends deck 3 forward area. We reported it but never received an explanation. I hope they can figure it out. It didn't ruin our cruise though. We loved the Edge. Amazing ship! Just a little stinky at times lol!

How long does it take to fill all of the traps in in the sewer system?  Don't these systems eventually need to vent to the atmosphere?  Is it time to start attributing the sewer smells to a design flaw?

• Like 2

Wish we asked more questions on the all access tour. 

They went into detail about the regular (non liquid) garbage..... separating recyclables, compacting and  off loading process but I do not recall  info about the sewage system and water ..Must be a diff dept from where we were taken..

Does anyone ask about this on board or at the Q and A sessions?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, layingblames said:

I wrote a polite letter as well and never heard back. I definitely spoke to the people in the Retreat area, and they didn’t know the cause of the smell. I didn’t know I needed to lodge an official complaint in order for it to get logged - but that’s my naiveté of the cruise world, I suppose. Def point them to this thread, where many long-term cruisers have commented they experienced the same!

We complained many times about our issues. The last day of the cruise, called my TA.

He told us to get a letter from GS. Ha! That wasn’t happening.

evidently needed documentation. As we wer disembarking with a tight schedule, that was not going to happen on the last day.

Just now, Caymus88 said:

We complained many times about our issues. The last day of the cruise, called my TA.

He told us to get a letter from GS. Ha! That wasn’t happening.

evidently needed documentation. As we wer disembarking with a tight schedule, that was not going to happen on the last day.

I would suggest to those who complained on ship and/or via email post-cruise to call them.  If you sent an email, they can find it.  It was 2 weeks when I just called and they said "Yup, there's your email.  We just haven't gotten to it yet."  The impression I get from their customer service is they don't acknowledge this as an issue.  They need to hear from more people.

• Thanks 1

All kidding aside, for anyone who has forked out thousands of dollars and had their vacation partially ruined by this in their cabin, such as randy98mtu, I suggest filing a BBB complaint.  You'd be surprised how quickly X is likely to acknowledge their problem and try and correct it with reasonable compensation. 

I had to do this 2 years ago with Carnival over $1,100.  Customer Service went from not following through with any call backs for several months, to A+ willing to work with me, fixed in 48 hours.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

There is a lot of evidence of a sewerage smell on Edge.  Just point Celebrity to this thread.  When we sailed Edge in January we encountered it too in public areas.  But not in our cabin on deck 12.  That would have really been a problem so I understand the OP's issue with it.