Dining for family of 9 and a few other questions

GinaJ

Hi Everyone,

This will be our first time with all the siblings/spouses  and parents sailing on Regent. I have a few questions for the Mariner.

Do the two reservation only dining rooms have tables that seat 9? ( my guess it would be a ten top table )

for the non reservation restaurant, do we just walk up like a group of 4 and they would be able to accommodate 9 ? ( I realize not right away, but certainly a lot harder than smaller groups ) or do they have certain times and tables for larger groups or just split the groups ?

Since alcohol is included, are we allowed to bring our own on  for our cabin, if we drink something they may not have ?

i know tips are included, but are we allowed to tip extra? 

Thank you for any advice or suggestions.

sincerely,

Gina

I'm new to Regent, only one cruise, but here's my comments. 

We were on Mariner for 44 nights.  I did not see any tables large enough to accommodate 9.  Could be they can put a couple of tables together, or you may have to do 2 tables next to each other.  I'm sure more veteran Regent cruisers can answer you more accurately.

When you get on board, simply ask your Cabin Steward for a bottle of your favorite alcohol.  If you want something specific that they don't offer, I can't imagine them not allowing you bringing it on board.  Saves them money.  However the website specifically says "Regent Seven Seas Cruises reserves the right to prohibit and retain all liquor brought aboard the ship."  You might want to call and ask.  

Regent asks that if you want to tip more, that you make a donation to the Crew Morale Fund.  Here are their exact words from their website:

"Gratuities are included in the cruise fare for all Regent employees. If guests feel strongly about expressing their gratitude to the crew, they should be encouraged to make a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund at the Purser Office. This money is utilized for crew parties and events."

First, welcome to the Regent board!  Hopefully we will be able to answer your questions.

There are tables for 10 in Compass Rose, so it will likely not be an issue.  On the other hand, I’m not sure if there are tables of that size in the speciality restaurants.  When you pre-book reservations online, there is only the ability to share a table.  I would check with your TA to see how large the tables in the speciality restaurants are.  My guess is that there are only tables for 6 or 8. Not sure if you they are able to create a table for 10 in those small spaces. 

Hopefully your TA is familiar with Regent and also hope that your TA will be refunding you a percentage of your cruise fare.

You certainly can bring whatever alcohol you wish but I would check out the alcohol list before you plan on what you want to bring.  The included alcohol available on the ships is top shelf (think Patron tequila, a wide variety of tp shelf vodka, etc.) 

Tipping is a very difficult issue and generally causes arguments on CC.  Personally, abide by Regent’s guidelines which is to donate to the Crew Fund if you feel the need to tip.   The Crew Fund takes care of all crew members - not just the ones that you see.

Suggest that you thoroughly read the FAQ’s on the Regent website (located at the bottom off their home page.). If you can’t find it, I’ll find it on my computer and will link it.

Edited by Travelcat2

I agree with Travelcat2 about this.  But I would talk to the maitre'd on Compass Rose on boarding and explain the situation.  I don't know what ship you're on, but there may be only one or two tables that seat this many in the main dining room, and as Jackie said, probably none in the specialties, so you'll have to split up.  It might be more intimate to do it like this sometimes anyways?

It’s really hard to have a table wide conversation at a 10 person round table anyway. Not sure I’ve seen a 10 person rectangle table on board.  If they put tables together it might impede the traffic flow. Might be easier outside around pool. 

1 hour ago, rcandkc said:

It’s really hard to have a table wide conversation at a 10 person round table anyway. Not sure I’ve seen a 10 person rectangle table on board.  If they put tables together it might impede the traffic flow. Might be easier outside around pool. 

I have seen round tables for 10 (or for 8 that could fit 10) in Compass Rose.  There is always the Captain's Table that is rarely used for the reason that you stated - trying to having a conversation. We once had Thanksgiving at the Captain's Table for Explorer (seats 12+).  The Captain was not there but we could not carry on a conversation with half of the table.  Much easier to have separate tables - even if not next to each other.  Having special time with different family members each night can be fun.  Maybe the first night you an all dine together and see how it goes.

I didn't see anything larger than an 8-top last month on Voyager, but then again I wasn't specifically looking.  I do agree with the others that two smaller adjacent tables would be a better choice than one large table - we had several dinners with 6 people and that seemed to be the comfortable limit for normal conversations.  It might be fun to rotate groups and let different people sit together each night.  Good luck with whatever you end up doing!

We were a group of 8 on a cruise a while back and had no problem at all getting tables whether in the Compass Rose or Signatures.  Since there are a lot of tables for 2 I suppose they can "create" tables for 10 relatively easily as long as they know in advance...

As far as alcohol that you enjoy that may not be on the included list:  Remember that you are able to request (beforehand) a certain drink and Regent may or may not be able to get it for you.    E.g. there are certain non-alcoholic beers that my husband prefers to others, and most times Regent has been able to get them for him.   I know — not the same thing as getting expensive alcoholic drinks.   In fact, for all I know, this works only in the case of non-alcoholic?

Just a point as to choice of alcohol.  Anything, anything within reason you might want, Regent will supply.  Example:  The recipe Regent uses for a Singapore Sling does not include Sloe Gin.  Having experienced the real thing at Raffles Bar, Singapore, way, way back in the day (circa 1979) in one of my earlier lives in Government service--that makes all the difference. 

Noted this several years ago when aboard Voyager.  So--put that on our post-cruise Comment Card.  Really, a small point, a real 1st World Problem.  Upon arrival at our suite on the next cruise, there was a bottle of Dekuyper Sloe Gin.  This bottle made the rounds, a time or two, with bartenders when preparing that drink. 

On any subsequent cruise--when requested--similar bottle.  This is in addition to the wine list and spirits list you will receive from your Suite Steward or Butler. You can also preorder from those lists before boarding via Regent and/or your TA, who will forward requests.  In the alternative, those beverages can be specified when chatting with the Steward or Butler. They will appear within the next 24 hours. 

Again, as others on this Thread have opined:  it "pays" to have a TA with experience on 5+star lines such as Regent to facilitate this little thing, as well as the larger things.

Happy cruising.

GOARMY!

On one of my cruises there was a large family traveling together, I believe there were 11 people (and the only reason I remember that is because the entire group was on one of my excursions which was limited to 16 people) and if I recall correctly, in the middle of Compass Rose they had combined tables and the same group sat at the same table every night. The one night we went to Signatures, they were also there and were all sitting at one large table in the back so it can be done.

If I were you, I would ask my TA to notify Regent so that the arrangements can be made, but I have seen them move around tables many times at the last minute.

gnomie :classic_smile:

On 1/31/2019 at 11:22 AM, UUNetBill said:

I didn't see anything larger than an 8-top last month on Voyager, but then again I wasn't specifically looking.  I do agree with the others that two smaller adjacent tables would be a better choice than one large table - we had several dinners with 6 people and that seemed to be the comfortable limit for normal conversations.  It might be fun to rotate groups and let different people sit together each night.  Good luck with whatever you end up doing!

Agree with you 100%.  The few times that we saw a group/family sitting at a large table in CR, after a few days they were dining at smaller tables.  Besides, just because you are with a group does not mean that you are attached at the hip.  Some one on one time or smaller groups is usually preferable than be stuck at a large table every night.

In our 32 Regent cruises we have not seen large tables in Chartreuse (formerly Signatures) or P7, I suppose they can be arranged but it would obviously interfere with service.   We will be on Explorer in two weeks and I'll pay special attention to the specialty restaurants.  Although the TS is going on Voyager, the ships have the same policies, food, wine, etc.  There will definitely be groups on our cruise since it is an Artful Traveler (PBS) cruise.  If tables are moved around, I'll be sure to notice!

We do lots of traveling together as a family, almost the only way we can all get together since we live all over the world - we actually enjoy each other's company and always sit together for dinner while traveling - kind of the point of traveling together as a family. No, we are not connected at the hip, and during the day do our own things, but for dinner, we always eat together.

I know lots of other families who do the same and I am sure Regent has experience dealing with this - just because someone has not seen it during their travels, does not mean it is not done.

Family (multi-generational) travel is a huge share of the market right now, I am sure Regent is aware of this (i.e., the discounted rates for children during the summer season) and is hoping to capture this segment of the market.

Tipping.

This issues has been beaten to death on the Regent Board. Here is a link to thread that covers every facet and every opinion on the subject. Some pax tip extra and other don't. There is no prohibition. Do whatever you feel is appropriate.

Link:

J

(48/701) 2001

I’ve seen large groups of over 9 people be seated together in Compass Rose on Navigator and also Mariner.  Also on Mariner a group of over 9 were seated in Prime 7, if I remember correctly that table was placed in a central position, so it definitely can be accommodated. Agree with others by letting your TA give some prior notice to Regent would be most helpful.    Jean.

We had a party of 10 on the Explorer recently and had no trouble securing a table to accommodate everyone in all of the dining venues for dinner. Be sure to coordinate with your TA on prior arrangements. 

14 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

JMARINER - not sure where you picked up that 2016 off topic post but glad that you stopped it before it went any further.

Off Topic?  Did you Read the T/S original question? 

On 1/30/2019 at 6:52 PM, GinaJ said:

i know tips are included, but are we allowed to tip extra?  

J

32 minutes ago, JMARINER said:

Off Topic?  Did you Read the T/S original question? 

J

You are right - I even responded to that question.  Guess I was taken aback linking a 2016 thread.  I believe that the description of the policy has changed a tiny bit since 2016.  While I do not want to discuss this subject, I am always concerned that old threads could give new cruisers incorrect information.    

22 hours ago, gnomie1 said:

We do lots of traveling together as a family, almost the only way we can all get together since we live all over the world - we actually enjoy each other's company and always sit together for dinner while traveling - kind of the point of traveling together as a family. No, we are not connected at the hip, and during the day do our own things, but for dinner, we always eat together.

I know lots of other families who do the same and I am sure Regent has experience dealing with this - just because someone has not seen it during their travels, does not mean it is not done.

Family (multi-generational) travel is a huge share of the market right now, I am sure Regent is aware of this (i.e., the discounted rates for children during the summer season) and is hoping to capture this segment of the market.

I think it's great that you travel together.  We've traveled with friends at times, like your family we do whatever during the day-but like to get together for dinner at night.  When I've asked for a large table (of ten) we got it.  Just plan ahead, talk the maitre'd or your concierge--and if you can go a little early I don't think it would be a problem.  Enjoy your cruise and happy to hear you have a great family.........Not everybody is that lucky.    Rick

Edited by ronrick1943