Why rush to board?

14 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

I'm glad you are amused by passengers wanting to stand up after sitting for 4 hours.

I am so glad you wrote this.....I can't sit for more than an hour and a 1/2 without leg stiffness....so I often walk up and down the aisle in a plane, which is why I prefer an aisle seat.....so excuse me if I stand up the MINUTE that plane lands....and I can .....because I will.

But lets return to talking about  cruising.

• Like 3

On 2/4/2019 at 8:05 AM, Iamcruzin said:

I thought that someone would have to be notified. So basically I just don't put my luggage out the night before.

On Harmony we were given a form to fill out that included self-debarkation.  My sister did the form so we didn't get luggage tags and we were in line before 6:30AM so we could be off the ship asap as I had a flight at 8:30 AM.

I normally would never book a flight that early, but the next one was 5PM and I didn't want to sit around all day.  It worked out well for me and my poor sister who had a flight at 11:30 spent a lot of time at the airport.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

I am so glad you wrote this.....I can't sit for more than an hour and a 1/2 without leg stiffness....so I often walk up and down the aisle in a plane, which is why I prefer an aisle seat.....so excuse me if I stand up the MINUTE that plane lands....and I can .....because I will.

Apparently, Fun Researcher is unaware people die from DVT sitting on a plane.

2 hours ago, LBumb said:

We pack swimsuits in carry on

go to pool at start taking advantage of drink package

Since we live in S. Florida and most of our cruises originate from S. Florida, right now, I wear my bathing suit under my shorts and tshirt....and wear my water proof sandals.  JUST direct me to the pool after a light lunch in WJ and I am in vacation mode....watching the rest of the arrivals.  Then when Cabins are opened, just drop off whatever small backpacks we came on board with and BACK TO THE POOL, until Muster time.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

That is true. Also I can't sit for more than 2 hours. So I always get an aisle seat so not to make the middle and aisle seat get up to let me out. I don't stand up though until the plane gets to the gate.

Getting on the plane I do line up because I don't want to have to gate check my carry on. I have electronics in the bag. When I fly I either have a carry on and no checked bags, most flights,  or to a cruise a carry on and a checked bag. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, steveru621 said:

I'm glad you are amused by passengers wanting to stand up after sitting for 4 hours.

55 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

39 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

Oh please, let’s take this to the extreme. Yes, it does amuse me.   I’m glad all those people didn’t die from DVT because they stood up the instant the light went off!!!  Whew!

Take a look the next time you fly. Most people aren’t getting up to stretch their legs, they are instantly trying to open the overhead and grab luggage. Which amuses me considering they are going to be waiting probably another 3 to 5 minutes before the door even opens. 

Dan

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Oh please, let’s take this to the extreme. Yes, it does amuse me.   I’m glad all those people didn’t die from DVT because they stood up the instant the light went off!!!  Whew!

Take a look the next time you fly. Most people aren’t getting up to stretch their legs, they are instantly trying to open the overhead and grab luggage. Which amuses me considering they are going to be waiting probably another 3 to 5 minutes before the door even opens. 

Dan

Dan your compassion for people tells me all I need to know about you. 

I'm glad you have it all figured out.  I bow to your superior amusement.

It's time for this thread to end.

• Like 2

I've always fantasized about being one of those first in the pool.  My wife hates pools on ships so it's never going to happen

On Harmony this past December we were on board at 10:30 am which was my earliest boarding ever.  We were all up in the Suite Lounge by 10:40.  Shortly after that we went down to WJ and had a quick and quiet bite with very few people on board.  Back to the SL and had my first drink in hand by 11:30 am.  

We live in Miami and the proximity to the port along with suite boarding means we are always some of the first to board.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

Dan your compassion for people tells me all I need to know about you. 

I'm glad you have it all figured out.  I bow to your superior amusement.

It's time for this thread to end.

How about not taking things to hysterics and I might respond less sarcastic as well. 

I also totally understand the need (for some) to get up regularly and stretch their legs.  ...and yes I sympathize.  Its interesting that you know everything about my character from two posts.   I think if you knew me or reviewed the body of my posts on this message board you may come to a very different conclusion .

Take care and happy cruising.  Really.

Regarding the original question I’ve boarded early, and also around 1-2 o’clock. Neither one seem to much different to me. The thing I don’t like about getting there early is the strange walk around the ship toting around your luggage. For me I start to feel normal on a cruise when I drop the bags off in the room and get settled.  That way we can freely wander and enjoy the ship like we will for the next 7+ days

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

The thing I don’t like about getting there early is the strange walk around the ship toting around your luggage.

Same here, though I usually compromise by carrying just one bag in hand with whatever my husband and I might need through dinner time, including valuables and toiletries. We let the Porters take the rest. 

3 minutes ago, jamiebytes said:

Same here, though I usually compromise by carrying just one bag in hand with whatever my husband and I might need through dinner time, including valuables and toiletries. We let the Porters take the rest. 

That's a great idea to bring "just in case" items.  We take it maybe a little too cautiously and in our carry-ons we bring enough just in the random situation that our checked bags got lost.  We also pack a bathing suit for each person, one set of dress clothes and the necessary toiletries.  Normally for our whole family it is only one carry-on and some back packs, but it's still not the same lugging that stuff around.   

Dan

4 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Totally agree.

I usually get up several times a flight to stretch the legs so I don't feel the need to leap up, open the overhead and grab my bag as soon as the seat belt light goes off.

In fact, that's probably the worst time for someone worried about DVT to get up. The aisle are so crowded that you'll find yourself twisted in an awkward position and still unable to move or fully extend the legs.  Much better off doing some sitting leg exercises.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 12:55 AM, tinkr2 said:

And as far as not tipping porters, its a tipped position. You tip because its the right thing to do. And you have no idea what their salary is in Florida. The unions are not  like up north. They are not full time. But using your theory that they make 100k, I made 95K waiting tables at Disney. Guess I should not have been tipped bc I made too much. How ridiculous. :classic_dry:

You are incorrect.  They are well paid.   One of the ports in Florida even had signs up that tipping is not needed.  However I tip when we drop off our luggage.  Disembarking we sometimes use porters other times not.  If we use them, I tip.  At the old Royal Terminal several times the porter even took our luggage all the way to our car in the garage.  We were almost the last ones off the ship so he wasn't going to get another "run".  I gave them an extra large in those cases.

14 hours ago, Andy C said:

I've always fantasized about being one of those first in the pool.  My wife hates pools on ships so it's never going to happen

On Harmony this past December we were on board at 10:30 am which was my earliest boarding ever.  We were all up in the Suite Lounge by 10:40.  Shortly after that we went down to WJ and had a quick and quiet bite with very few people on board.  Back to the SL and had my first drink in hand by 11:30 am.  

We live in Miami and the proximity to the port along with suite boarding means we are always some of the first to board.  

I love when that happens, I've been first in the pool on many cruises, especially when I've already been on that ship before.  

We always board early, with bathing suits in our backpack, drink package ready to be used, and getting in some pool time ASAP. I think it all depends on preference and, working 50+ hours a week most weeks, I like to get on-board and start my vacation as soon as possible.

23 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

They probably are concerned about getting space in the overhead storage.

This is why I like having priority boarding on the three main alliances. 😄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gatour said:

You are incorrect.  They are well paid.   One of the ports in Florida even had signs up that tipping is not needed.  However I tip when we drop off our luggage.  Disembarking we sometimes use porters other times not.  If we use them, I tip.  At the old Royal Terminal several times the porter even took our luggage all the way to our car in the garage.  We were almost the last ones off the ship so he wasn't going to get another "run".  I gave them an extra large in those cases.

Porters on the return, I agree should be tipped.

But I don't tip for them throwing the bags in the cart.  Sorry, just won't  Heck, have the time, they make me get them out of the trunk.

19 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

How about not taking things to hysterics and I might respond less sarcastic as well. 

I also totally understand the need (for some) to get up regularly and stretch their legs.  ...and yes I sympathize.  Its interesting that you know everything about my character from two posts.   I think if you knew me or reviewed the body of my posts on this message board you may come to a very different conclusion .

Take care and happy cruising.  Really.

Regarding the original question I’ve boarded early, and also around 1-2 o’clock. Neither one seem to much different to me. The thing I don’t like about getting there early is the strange walk around the ship toting around your luggage. For me I start to feel normal on a cruise when I drop the bags off in the room and get settled.  That way we can freely wander and enjoy the ship like we will for the next 7+ days

Dan

I think from now on when people pop up like popcorn I'll be sure to let them know I empathize with their condition and wish them well. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, SRF said:

This is why I like having priority boarding on the three main alliances. 😄

I get priority boarding on Delta too, but I always check a bag so I don't care if I'm last on board the plane. I like when they call my name over the PA system. I feel important. 😂

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, FrankNBrew said:

I think from now on when people pop up like popcorn I'll be sure to let them know I empathize with their condition and wish them well. 😂

When I have been sitting  for hours, I will pop  up, stand in my seat, or go no further than my own row. If I have something in my overhead I'll put it in my seat and stand quietly. At least  I know you are over there pitying me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrankNBrew said:

I get priority boarding on Delta too, but I always check a bag so I don't care if I'm last on board the plane. I like when they call my name over the PA system. I feel important. 😂

And you get to make an entrance.😀

• Like 1

It is a personal decision, we arrive at the ship between 10:30 and 11:00, this way you can board early.  This is the first day of your cruise.  The WJ is open for lunch and we like to get acquainted with the ship.

Dennis

• Like 1