Updated Elite Cocktails

begood2me

1 hour ago, ghstudio said:

The "break even" point is, of course, $300 (or the price of gratuites)....if you drink more than that $ amount, then the drink package is a good deal.  For a 14 night cruise (TA typical length), that's $10.75 a day pp break even point.  That's pretty much a glass of wine at dinner.  

Not suggesting that your decision isn't right for you, but we still take the drink package just for that wine and the occasional bottle of water.

Not sure that I understand your post regarding the break point.  A drink package will cost something like $65 a day per person and if purchased, I believe you pay gratuities.

That would amount to $130 a day for the drink package X 14 = $1800 per the cruise not counting the gratuities.  We enjoy the elite HH and usually buy a wine package for around $350 (premium) for wine with our meals.  

You many be comparing your choices for cruises that bundle a promo, like Go Better.   Those cruises have gone up in price, so we don't take them anymore, they are overpriced and we can do a Royal Caribbean cruise with no price bundling and get the Diamond Happy Hour that runs until 8PM.

I did a check for a TransAtlantic cruise in 2020 that I might book, compared NCL Celebrity and Royal C.  Celebrity doesn't bundle its TA cruises, NCL does.  Still, Royal C. had a price almost half the price of the Celebrity cruise.  The cruises that bundle like we wanted to do a Norwegian Fjord cruise.  Celebrity's 7 day cruise to Norway was more expensive than Royal C's Arctic Circle 11 day cruise.  Guess which one we booked.

I wish Celebrity would extend their happy hour; or better yet, match what RCL does. In the Diamond lounge on RCL, happy hour is from 5pm to 8:30pm with unlimited drinks. You can still use the three drinks that are loaded on the card in other areas within that same time frame. 

RCL also has a great finger food buffet set up, which is much better than on Celebrity where one has to wave down a server walking around with a platter of food. 

Monica

11 hours ago, keesar said:

On our last cruise, there were about 10 of us in the Sky Lounge and we had the beverage package.  The views were spectacular and we were able to have appetizer after appetizer after....    We felt bad for the servers.   

Why? At least the servers had a more relaxed time with fewer members. 

3 hours ago, Compass Rose Monica said:

I wish Celebrity would extend their happy hour; or better yet, match what RCL does. In the Diamond lounge on RCL, happy hour is from 5pm to 8:30pm with unlimited drinks. You can still use the three drinks that are loaded on the card in other areas within that same time frame. 

RCL also has a great finger food buffet set up, which is much better than on Celebrity where one has to wave down a server walking around with a platter of food. 

Monica

Hi Monica!  I agree that Diamond Club perks are better and the pre-dinner appetizers in the Diamond Club are really good.  It is hard to avoid them and not ruin dinner.  But I usually eat them and also have dinner!  It is easier to keep the calories down on Celebrity!

We are avid cruisers too and we are very happy with the generous policy Celebrity is now instituting. We have been traveling with them for 18 years (we remember originally paying to become a Captain's Club member). We also like going to the lounge to have drinks and appetizers during HH.   With this policy you can have your drinks somewhere else, if you choose.  It was also nice they reverted back to unlimited drinks rather than 3 drinks on your card/coupons... Don't look a gift horse in the mouth...🐴:classic_biggrin:

Edited by neilrr

As for the drink packages -- unless  they are part of the perks you receive, it does not really pay for $150 per day (for two) unless you are really BIG drinkers.. We are going on a 10 day and the rates were so high with the perks we got a FL resident rate @$89PP per day for a high level inside cabin for Spring break week. So for $1,000PP incl. taxes for 10 days I can buy my own drinks plus we have all the parties and happy hours. We also take into consideration how port intensive the trip is. On the trips to Europe -- we are never on the ship so that needs to be considered too. Caribbean trips make the packages more worthwhile..

Happy Sailing to All...😁

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

Why? At least the servers had a more relaxed time with fewer members. 

The servers were just walking around with drinks or appetizers.  Loss of cash tips for these hard working staff members.  We usually   tip them  towards the end of the cruise.

6 hours ago, bubbachief said:

So you can't can't get Elite drinks in the dining room any more?

I think that the current/new policy is that you can't order an elite drink in the dining room.  Having said that, I'm sure that some ships/cruises/waiters and certainly someliers will be willing to get you an elite drink or pour an elite glass of wine as long as it's before 7PM.  Many "policies" are inconsistent across celebrity cruises.

I doubt that personal war stories from other cruisers on other ships/cruises will give you an accurate answer for YOUR cruise.  I'd plan on not being able to order, and be pleasantly surprised if you can.

enjoy your cruise.

Edited by ghstudio

17 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

I think that the current/new policy is that you can't order an elite drink in the dining room.  Having said that, I'm sure that some ships/cruises/waiters and certainly someliers will be willing to get you an elite drink or pour an elite glass of wine as long as it's before 7PM.  Many "policies" are inconsistent across celebrity cruises.

I doubt that personal war stories from other cruisers on other ships/cruises will give you an accurate answer for YOUR cruise.  I'd plan on not being able to order, and be pleasantly surprised if you can.

enjoy your cruise.

We were able to on the Eclipse in December, but this sounds like a "new" policy again.

1 hour ago, bubbachief said:

We were able to on the Eclipse in December, but this sounds like a "new" policy again.

The newsletter announcing the new policy implied they were testing different options.  On my recent Silhouette Cruise they had unlimited in the Sky Lounge and three drinks loaded on the Sea Pass cards for other bars.  It was good only at the bars and not the restaurants.  

It looks like they have settled on this option.

On 1/31/2019 at 5:31 PM, Bo1953 said:

I did not realize there was any confusion....

Thank you for posting regardless.

bon voyage

You need to keep up with latest information.  This has been a huge issue.

Thanks so much to the original poster for sharing that insight.  Very helpful as we prep for our next X cruise.  

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, creativegenius said:

You need to keep up with latest information.  This has been a huge issue.

Thanks so much to the original poster for sharing that insight.  Very helpful as we prep for our next X cruise.  

Sorry about that...

I think the reason I never paid attention or never thought of it an issue is, that when, where and how long these things take place were not paramount, only meeting fellow members, which I find easy enough for us to do.

I understand, better now, how important these social situations are to many who expect and desire these types of social programs. They are an important part of recognition for loyalty to X, to be sure.

bon voyage

15 hours ago, jagoffee said:

The newsletter announcing the new policy implied they were testing different options.  On my recent Silhouette Cruise they had unlimited in the Sky Lounge and three drinks loaded on the Sea Pass cards for other bars.  It was good only at the bars and not the restaurants.  

It looks like they have settled on this option.

On Reflection last week the CC letter specifically said that the three drinks on the sea pass card could not be used in dining rooms or any restaurants. They were in addition to the unlimited drinks at the Sky Lounge event and only available during the same 5-7pm hours. 

29 minutes ago, lovescarborough said:

On Reflection last week the CC letter specifically said that the three drinks on the sea pass card could not be used in dining rooms or any restaurants. They were in addition to the unlimited drinks at the Sky Lounge event and only available during the same 5-7pm hours. 

This is a policy change starting for February sailings. 

4 hours ago, Ontario Cruiser said:

How does it work for a non elite passenger that is  staying in the same room? Can they only have drinks in the elite lounge and can you walk out of the lounge with a drink?

Thanks Ontario Cruiser

There is no mention of this policy in the email that was received.