When to buy internet package

windsurferfirst

On 2/8/2019 at 12:08 PM, pilot said:

We got off the Regal last Sunday. I purchased the unlimited package for one device. The sale is good for the first 24 hours and the total cost was $52.50.  My sister got the four devices package and I believe it was about $102.00 for the week. 

The four device package  - is that just for one person with four devices - or 4 people with one device each?

1 minute ago, Nettiebell said:

The four device package  - is that just for one person with four devices - or 4 people with one device each?

It doesn't matter how you use it.  

2 minutes ago, Nettiebell said:

Up to 4 devices logged on simultaneously. All four devices can be yours. Each of 4 family members can have one device each. Or any combination of the above. It's the simultaneous logon that's the key. You can bring a dozen or more devices on board with you but only 4 can be logged on at any one time. If you have 4 logged on and desire to logon with an fifth, you must log out of one of the 4 that are already logged on. 

I didn't want a start a new thread as this post is along the same lines. I just tried to purchase an internet package for my cruise on the Royal in August but the option has disappeared from my Personalizer. It was there last week and even when I log on there is a message to take advantage of pre purchased internet packages. When I click on the internet purchase option all I am getting is the ship to shore calling option. There are no internet purchase options at all.

Anyone else having this problem? I will call them but I assume it is one of the many website glitches that Princess has.

Offers vary by sailing.  We have a Sky Princess cruise booked for December and it only has minutes and ship-to-shore phone available.  Would think that Sky would have the unlimited package.  Still early yet, though.

43 minutes ago, leck57 said:

I didn't want a start a new thread as this post is along the same lines. I just tried to purchase an internet package for my cruise on the Royal in August but the option has disappeared from my Personalizer. It was there last week and even when I log on there is a message to take advantage of pre purchased internet packages. When I click on the internet purchase option all I am getting is the ship to shore calling option. There are no internet purchase options at all.

Anyone else having this problem? I will call them but I assume it is one of the many website glitches that Princess has.

There are a number of voyages that only have that shore calling option displayed.

I assume Princess is just trying to figure out what Internet packages to order offer on your cruise. Sooner or later, the Internet options should show up.

1 hour ago, leck57 said:

Same thing happened to me - I'm on the Royal in July

On 2/7/2019 at 2:29 AM, windsurferfirst said:

We are boarding the Regal on Sunday and due to illness at home I want to be able to stay in touch with family. Normally I don't bother buying internet packages I quiet like not being bombarded with message while I'm away but this time is different. My question is do I buy the package now through my personaliser or on ship?

I paid for the internet (we are elite) prior to boarding for the $59.99.  Other people had reported it being cheaper onboard if you waited to book onboard, something like $52.99.  I did ask the internet manager and they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about, so I'm not sure if it's cheaper before or not.

3 hours ago, leck57 said:

Same thing for me. I went to purchase the internet today for my June cruise and the option is gone. It was there when I made my final payment a few days ago.

Same here for my cruise on the Royal next Thanksgiving. I’m pretty sure that there was an option to purchase Internet service last time I checked on my booking.

no option on my Star Princess Cruise that departs in 6 days. Not that I would buy internet access on that 3 day cruise. I’ll make do with the Plat minutes.

2 hours ago, caribill said:

There are a number of voyages that only have that shore calling option displayed.

I assume Princess is just trying to figure out what Internet packages to order offer on your cruise. Sooner or later, the Internet options should show up.

Thanks all. I'll assume for now that the internet options will re-appear soon. I actually did an on-line chat with a Princess rep about this and they had no idea. Just kept saying that if there is no option on the Personaliser it can only be purchased on board. Obviously incorrect based on my past history of cruising with Princess. I know things change but I doubt this has.

I experienced the same thing. The option to pre-purchase the package was there and then it disappeared.  I called into Princess to see if I could still purchase the 50% off internet and she said it was still available, but told me not to buy it because of our elite status we would be able to purchase on the ship at a discounted price which would be cheaper that the pre-purchase price. 

2 hours ago, leck57 said:

Thanks all. I'll assume for now that the internet options will re-appear soon. I actually did an on-line chat with a Princess rep about this and they had no idea. Just kept saying that if there is no option on the Personaliser it can only be purchased on board. Obviously incorrect based on my past history of cruising with Princess. I know things change but I doubt this has.

If your cruise is in the AUS/NZ zone, you won't be offered internet.  I found that to be the case for the NZ cruise we were on this Feb.  I had to wait until on board day one to book internet.  Who knows if that will change and who knows why it is/was.

5 hours ago, steelers36 said:

If your cruise is in the AUS/NZ zone, you won't be offered internet.  I found that to be the case for the NZ cruise we were on this Feb.  I had to wait until on board day one to book internet.  Who knows if that will change and who knows why it is/was.

Thanks, but I mentioned I was on the Royal in August. Royal hasn't been down here - it's an Alaska cruise.

2 hours ago, leck57 said:

Thanks, but I mentioned I was on the Royal in August. Royal hasn't been down here - it's an Alaska cruise.

Okay.  Sorry I missed that.  (Jumping around too many threads late at night). 

Maybe it's a location thing.  I think I called Princess about it (Majestic).  Or perhaps some "glitch".  We were able to order Medallion internet pre-cruise for our Regal Baltic trip.

Edited by steelers36

On 2/8/2019 at 2:15 PM, Cruise Raider said:

I didn't know they already had the MedallionNet.  Good to know.  Is it working as you'd expect?  

We were on the 4/6 sailing of the Royal, and I was completely happy with the connection.

18 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I paid for the internet (we are elite) prior to boarding for the $59.99.  Other people had reported it being cheaper onboard if you waited to book on-board, something like $52.99.  I did ask the internet manager and they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about, so I'm not sure if it's cheaper before or not.

We were confused about booking ours on the Ruby last month at the special pre-cruise price.  The regular price for the 15 day cruise was $149, it was discounted to $129 if purchased in advance.  We are Platinum and get a number of free minutes.  It could not have been easier, I just logged in from the cabin.  It already new were were Platinum and the offer of $111 and some cents was made.  All I had to do was click and it was done.  

As others said, there is no need to get more than 1 device, unless two or more in your group need to be on line at the same time.  It was very easy to switch between devices.  I used it on my phone, tablet and notebook PC,    

19 minutes ago, CRUZBUDS said:

We were confused about booking ours on the Ruby last month at the special pre-cruise price.  The regular price for the 15 day cruise was $149, it was discounted to $129 if purchased in advance.  We are Platinum and get a number of free minutes.  It could not have been easier, I just logged in from the cabin.  It already knew we were Platinum and the offer of $111 and some cents was made.  All I had to do was click and it was done.  

As others said, there is no need to get more than 1 device, unless two or more in your group need to be on line at the same time.  It was very easy to switch between devices.  I used it on my phone, tablet and notebook PC,    

Right!  Platinum/Elite get 25% off the onboard whole voyage daily rate (9.99 $US).  The strange thing is that on an upcoming 28 day voyage, Unlimited MedallionNet is $129.99 in the Personalizer. I'd wonder what the onboard whole voyage daily rate and P/E discounted cost would be?

Thanks to a tip on Cruise Critic, I got a $45 "Travel Router" from Amazon with a private WiFi network that allows multiple devices to share an internet connection - works best in your stateroom since it needs AC power.  

2 hours ago, CRUZBUDS said:

We were confused about booking ours on the Ruby last month at the special pre-cruise price.  The regular price for the 15 day cruise was $149, it was discounted to $129 if purchased in advance.  We are Platinum and get a number of free minutes.  It could not have been easier, I just logged in from the cabin.  It already new were were Platinum and the offer of $111 and some cents was made.  All I had to do was click and it was done.  

For our upcoming Medallion cruise, Medallion Net is offered at 25% off for Platinum/Elite.  This brought price to $75/pp from $100/pp.  If Princess is going to be consistent with the discount in lieu of free minutes benefit, your numbers don't compute and I would have called and inquired. 

You indicated only $20 off.  $149 less 25% is $112.75.  $149 less $25 is $124.  I am rounding.  You got the offer on board off $111+, so that looks to me like you got the correct pricing - 25% off the rate for lower Captain Circle membership levels.  

IDK why you would not have got the lower price pre-booking.

We have pre-booked for our cruise for $75, but I do intend to find out what is being offered on board the first day.  There has been some posters claiming you don't really get the Platinum/Elite benefit as others get a first day deal.

2 hours ago, Ferd Berfle said:

Right!  Platinum/Elite get 25% off the onboard whole voyage daily rate (9.99 $US).  The strange thing is that on an upcoming 28 day voyage, Unlimited MedallionNet is $129.99 in the Personalizer. I'd wonder what the onboard whole voyage daily rate and P/E discounted cost would be?

Thanks to a tip on Cruise Critic, I got a $45 "Travel Router" from Amazon with a private WiFi network that allows multiple devices to share an internet connection - works best in your stateroom since it needs AC power.  

My observation is that the longer the cruise, the lower the cost of internet per day, if you break it down that way.  Whole cruise packages are always the best pricing deal.

Your "Travel Router" tip is much appreciated.  I will have to check it out.  We booked two Internet packages as we don't want to interfere with each other's usage anywhere on the ship.  We use internet anywhere - not just in the cabin.  My wife would consider me an Internet Hog.  Guilty as charged.  :classic_wink:

1 hour ago, steelers36 said:

My observation is that the longer the cruise, the lower the cost of internet per day, if you break it down that way.  Whole cruise packages are always the best pricing deal.

Your "Travel Router" tip is much appreciated.  I will have to check it out.  We booked two Internet packages as we don't want to interfere with each other's usage anywhere on the ship.  We use internet anywhere - not just in the cabin.  My wife would consider me an Internet Hog.  Guilty as charged.  :classic_wink:

My thinking is the same since we've reported that a 28 day cruise is the same $129.99 price as a 15 dayer

We did buy 2 packages and just switched one to the router when "at home", we quickly learned to keep track of who was logged on where ...

1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Do you mind linking it?

Not at all!  I got the GL.iNet GL-AR750 Travel AC Router:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07712LKJM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_Q3IZCb7GTQ7MZ

There are others.  Of course the instructions are wanky translations.  IF the link doesn't work, just search Amazon for "travel router"