Back to back cruises: any additional benefits aside from discount?

Dreamcruise27

Hello!

I was wondering if there are any additional benefits I should know about for back to back sailings. I received the discount on both cruises but want to ask all of you seasoned cruisers if there are any other benefits or information I should be aware of 🙂

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Dreamcruise27

You can wavy bye bye to the passengers who are leaving and you continue on your cruise. Sometimes you are allowed to go to the Concierge Lunch in the MDR on the second embarkation day. If you are in the same cabin you already know your attendant and he/she knows your preferences. If you need to switch cabins you usually don't need to pack your clothes. If you are in a nice port you can spend time exploring. Did this in San Diego , Barcelona, Civitavecchia, Istanbul, Abu Dhabi and many other ports. Felt like I had an extra port of call. Sometimes Celebrity offers tours for B2Bers.

• Thanks 2

It’s intangible but so much fun to be on the last day of the first cruise and know it’s not over, know you have more fun to come...to pass the suitcases in the hall that night and smile because it’s not you!  

Of course, all good things end, but we loved the second cruise only being the midpoint.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Orator said:

You can wavy bye bye to the passengers who are leaving and you continue on your cruise. Sometimes you are allowed to go to the Concierge Lunch in the MDR on the second embarkation day. If you are in the same cabin you already know your attendant and he/she knows your preferences. If you need to switch cabins you usually don't need to pack your clothes. If you are in a nice port you can spend time exploring. Did this in San Diego , Barcelona, Civitavecchia, Istanbul, Abu Dhabi and many other ports. Felt like I had an extra port of call. Sometimes Celebrity offers tours for B2Bers.

Thanks! Do they let you know if they are offering a tour befor the cruise or during? Don’t want to miss it if it is offered!

12 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

It’s intangible but so much fun to be on the last day of the first cruise and know it’s not over, know you have more fun to come...to pass the suitcases in the hall that night and smile because it’s not you!  

Of course, all good things end, but we loved the second cruise only being the midpoint.

Yes, I think the intangible benefit will be a highlight!! We always commented that near the end of the cruise, you finally feel like you are all settled in to a routine and then it is time to get off. 

• Like 1

Yes. On cruises they offer a tour with airport drop off. You can take that tour and you'll return to the ship with new passengers. On some cruises, especially where there is a late departure time they offer a few tours for B2B passengers. I did one in Barcelona to Montserrat.

• Thanks 1

Unless Celebrity has recently changed their policies, they make back to backs more complicated (and a pain) when compared to other lines such as HAL or Princess.  On Celebrity they use an accounting system based on each segment.  This means that your cruise card (and related account) is only good for one segment and you must get another cruise card (and a new account) for the subsequent segments.  On our Celebrity back to backs it has meant reporting to a specific place at a specific time (usually on the morning of the turn-around day) to get new cruise cards (including photo).  If you have on board credits they are not carried-over to the next cruise :(.  On other lines we are issued a single cruise card for the entire cruise (no matter how many segments) and the accounting is handled for a longer single cruise.  So if you have OBCs they are good for the entire voyage (not just one segment) and there are fewer hassles on the turn around day.  The onboard staff does try to ease the hassles with some decent written instructions (sent to the cabin) but it is still an annoyance compared to most of the competition.

Things do become a lot more complicated if you must change cabins (an issue with any cruise line).  The stewards are usually very helpful, but are also busy because of turn-around day responsibilities.  They will bring a luggage cart that can handle stuff on hangers, but it is still necessary to pack up all the other items and deal with moving valuables from one cabin safe to another.  

Hank

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Unless Celebrity has recently changed their policies, they make back to backs more complicated (and a pain) when compared to other lines such as HAL or Princess.  On Celebrity they use an accounting system based on each segment.  This means that your cruise card (and related account) is only good for one segment and you must get another cruise card (and a new account) for the subsequent segments.  On our Celebrity back to backs it has meant reporting to a specific place at a specific time (usually on the morning of the turn-around day) to get new cruise cards (including photo).  If you have on board credits they are not carried-over to the next cruise :(.  On other lines we are issued a single cruise card for the entire cruise (no matter how many segments) and the accounting is handled for a longer single cruise.  So if you have OBCs they are good for the entire voyage (not just one segment) and there are fewer hassles on the turn around day.  The onboard staff does try to ease the hassles with some decent written instructions (sent to the cabin) but it is still an annoyance compared to most of the competition.

Things do become a lot more complicated if you must change cabins (an issue with any cruise line).  The stewards are usually very helpful, but are also busy because of turn-around day responsibilities.  They will bring a luggage cart that can handle stuff on hangers, but it is still necessary to pack up all the other items and deal with moving valuables from one cabin safe to another.  

Hank

It depends on how they market it. Several years ago we did a 14 day Caribbean  cruise that had a turnaround day in Ft. Lauderdale where most people got off and new passengers got on. If I remember right, it was marketed as a “Voyage” and we kept our same cabin, using the same seapass card and it was billed as a 14 day cruise. There was a discounted price of a couple hundred dollars.

• Like 1

There is at least one hidden benefit on most B2B cruises.  If you bring wine or liquor on board either at embarkation or at a port on your first cruise, celebrity will store them for you for the duration of the cruise. At the end of the first cruise, Celebrity will almost always return those bottles to your cabin on the last night of that cruise for packing.  Since you are staying on the ship for another cruise, you will have to store those bottles in your cabin for the second cruise.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

There is at least one hidden benefit on most B2B cruises.  If you bring wine or liquor on board either at embarkation or at a port on your first cruise, celebrity will store them for you for the duration of the cruise. At the end of the first cruise, Celebrity will almost always return those bottles to your cabin on the last night of that cruise for packing.  Since you are staying on the ship for another cruise, you will have to store those bottles in your cabin for the second cruise.

Oh Darn! :classic_wink:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Thank you for the info!

40 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

A variation on this is that if you buy any Duty Free liquor you can pick it up the night before the end of the first cruise.   If you purchase any liquor on the last evening  they let you take it back to your room to pack.  

• Like 1

It may be unique to our last B2B2B.   We were on Millennium for 3 cruises.   At the B2B meeting they had a raffle and gave away free dinners at Specialty, bottles of wine, free bags of laundry and free internet packages for the next cruise.   We won the dinner for 2 at any specialty.  

2 hours ago, Dreamcruise27 said:

Thanks! Do they let you know if they are offering a tour befor the cruise or during? Don’t want to miss it if it is offered!

You will definitely be notified if the shore excursions staff tries to organize a turnaround day tour for the B2B folks.  Expect a letter several days prior to the turnaround day and possibly a follow up phone message.  We did one in Barcelona (also to Montserrat) which was just composed of B2B folks.  Also on a turnaround day in Bayonne in 2017 shore excursions tried to organize a tour into NYC but didn't have enough interest.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

It may be unique to our last B2B2B.   We were on Millennium for 3 cruises.   At the B2B meeting they had a raffle and gave away free dinners at Specialty, bottles of wine, free bags of laundry and free internet packages for the next cruise.   We won the dinner for 2 at any specialty.  

We almost always do B2B or B2B2B series with the occasional B2B2B2B, and have done so for several years.  My perception is that having a turnaround day meeting is becoming more common, and to encourage participation gifts are frequently raffled.  In addition to those you mentioned I've also seen ship models and robes.  One time we won a free bag of laundry coupon (which we gave to someone else as we get free unlimited laundry due to loyalty status) but we have also won bottles of wine.

• Like 1

Last year, at a meeting the day before turnaround day, they told all the B2B guests that they would sell discounted speciality packages even though the pre-cruise online sales had sold all the available packages.  One year, they gave every B2B guest a bag of laundry for free.  

Best part, walking up to the counter at the Cafe Al Bacio to order a drink, being told the computers are closed, and responding that we were Back to Back guests.   The waitress smiled, got out an order slip, wrote down what I wanted and my name and stateroom.  I enjoyed my tea and watched departing passengers do the slow trudge off the ship.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dreamcruise27 said:

Hello!

I was wondering if there are any additional benefits I should know about for back to back sailings. I received the discount on both cruises but want to ask all of you seasoned cruisers if there are any other benefits or information I should be aware of 🙂

Thanks in advance!

Not really benefits. You get to have the welcome aboard sparkling wine again for the second leg. :classic_wink: If you see shows on the first leg you didn't care for you'll know you won't need to go to them again on the second leg. If you saw something on the menu on the first leg you wish you would have ordered now you have that option of ordering it on the second leg. On our B2B cruises the staff always seems to get a kick out of seeing us on the second leg. Make sure if you have any OBC you know whether it's a refundable OBC or a non-refundable OBC. Also no matter the type of OBC they will not carry over to the second leg of your cruise. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dreamcruise27 said:

Hello!

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, not offering information but just interested in the discount you mention for booking B2B.  Do you have to ask for a discount when booking or is it automatically offered? and how much is it? I didn't know about this 'perk'. 

• Like 1

The discount is $50 per cruise of 7 days and $100 for longer cruises. You usually have to ask for it.

On turn around day in a US port you do have to get off the ship as a group, unless you go into port then you will get a transit card to avoid the check in lines when you return.  We've been given additional internet time, lunch in the MDR, a free bag of laundry and an additional spa discount.  On our last B2B we did not have to have our picture retaken, the new sea pass cards were handed out while waiting to reboard.  There were so many B2B cruisers a customs agent came to the gangway to check passports.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I hope they offer the same prizes on our cruise!

12 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

We almost always do B2B or B2B2B series with the occasional B2B2B2B, and have done so for several years.  My perception is that having a turnaround day meeting is becoming more common, and to encourage participation gifts are frequently raffled.  In addition to those you mentioned I've also seen ship models and robes.  One time we won a free bag of laundry coupon (which we gave to someone else as we get free unlimited laundry due to loyalty status) but we have also won bottles of wine.

Thank you for the info! B2B2B2B... sounds AMAZING!!

11 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

Last year, at a meeting the day before turnaround day, they told all the B2B guests that they would sell discounted speciality packages even though the pre-cruise online sales had sold all the available packages.  One year, they gave every B2B guest a bag of laundry for free.  

Best part, walking up to the counter at the Cafe Al Bacio to order a drink, being told the computers are closed, and responding that we were Back to Back guests.   The waitress smiled, got out an order slip, wrote down what I wanted and my name and stateroom.  I enjoyed my tea and watched departing passengers do the slow trudge off the ship.

Can't wait to grab a latte, sit back, and know that we don't have to get off the ship and start cooking, cleaning, and fending for ourselves in the real world ;)

10 hours ago, davekathy said:

Not really benefits. You get to have the welcome aboard sparkling wine again for the second leg. :classic_wink: If you see shows on the first leg you didn't care for you'll know you won't need to go to them again on the second leg. If you saw something on the menu on the first leg you wish you would have ordered now you have that option of ordering it on the second leg. On our B2B cruises the staff always seems to get a kick out of seeing us on the second leg. Make sure if you have any OBC you know whether it's a refundable OBC or a non-refundable OBC. Also no matter the type of OBC they will not carry over to the second leg of your cruise. 

Thanks! We have more OBC on the first leg than the second, so I will definitely make sure we use it all

4 hours ago, laslomas said:

Sorry, not offering information but just interested in the discount you mention for booking B2B.  Do you have to ask for a discount when booking or is it automatically offered? and how much is it? I didn't know about this 'perk'. 

I booked directly with Celebrity and asked what discounts are offered for B2B and that's when they told me. I assume you would receive the same discount with a travel agent as well?