Mariner Discount at Explorations Cafe Change

Alberta Quilter

Onboard the NS and just found out about a change in the Mariner discount at the Explorations Cafe. Only non alcoholic tea and coffee beverages at the cafe are eligible for the discount. My six diet sprites cost over $15, once the service charge was included!  I checked with the front desk and she proved to me the new terms.  This is a change since our last cruise in September. I hadn't seen this posted before so wanted to make sure others knew about it and could plan accordingly.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Onboard the NS and just found out about a change in the Mariner discount at the Explorations Cafe. Only non alcoholic tea and coffee beverages at the cafe are eligible for the discount. My six diet sprites cost over $15, once the service charge was included!  I checked with the front desk and she proved to me the new terms.  This is a change since our last cruise in September. I hadn't seen this posted before so wanted to make sure others knew about it and could plan accordingly.

I just checked and yes, it does say non alcoholic teas and coffees only.  Thanks for the heads up.

1 hour ago, boards said:

What about the mini-fridge?  if you are 4star is it still 50% discount?

Yes, it is.

23795D38-B99F-44C4-836A-7050A1F13B76.thumb.png.a71d84a7009f8710f36c88afb220f3ab.png

And from the FAQS:

FEF7B283-CE10-4225-BDF0-E37CDF19E841.thumb.png.6e47f773b7eb5e994c4dca45b8c5708a.png

2 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Only non alcoholic tea and coffee beverages at the cafe are eligible for the discount.

Not good news. I love the alcohol-laced coffee drinks. Just made 4* and was looking forward to the 50%-off perk!

3 hours ago, canadianbear said:

We were told just last week mini fridge for 4* are 50% discount....wonder if that’s changed in a week 😳

As Kazu noted, there is no change for the mini bar discount.  We already asked the mini bar to be cleared out to accommodate DM's HH beer and my diet sprites. I'll ask to see if they will include diet sprite in the mini bar set up.  Worst they could do is say no.  If so, I will do without the pop.  

• Like 2

I would stock up on sprite at Exploration café on the Koningsdam last Oct., because they were slow in refilling the mini-bar.  I hope they will be quicker on the Noordam to refill the mini-bar, would not like to pay almost $3 for a can pop.

We used to buy our bottles of water at the Explorations Cafe to get the discount, which we couldn't get at the exit table disembarking at ports.   Maybe it depends on the ship whether they know about the restrictions!

On the NS  (and Koningsdam) the Explorations Bar does the coffees as well as serves as a drinks bar, so perhaps they have had to make the distinction.

Since we became 4star mariners, we have been on three more cruises and different ships and they all gave us the discount at the Exploration café for sprite or coke.  hope it hasn't changed for our future cruise in Oct.

12 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Onboard the NS and just found out about a change in the Mariner discount at the Explorations Cafe. Only non alcoholic tea and coffee beverages at the cafe are eligible for the discount. 

Not cool. 😡

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

We used to buy our bottles of water at the Explorations Cafe to get the discount, which we couldn't get at the exit table disembarking at ports.   Maybe it depends on the ship whether they know about the restrictions!

On the NS  (and Koningsdam) the Explorations Bar does the coffees as well as serves as a drinks bar, so perhaps they have had to make the distinction.

The Westerdam has a combined Explorations Cafe/Bar in the Crow's Nest whereas the Konigsdam Explorations Cafe serves coffee and tea along with snacks.  If you want a drink on the Konigsdam, you have to go around the corner to the Crow's Nest Bar. 

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 2

On 2/12/2019 at 2:48 PM, boards said:

I would stock up on sprite at Exploration café on the Koningsdam last Oct., because they were slow in refilling the mini-bar.  I hope they will be quicker on the Noordam to refill the mini-bar, would not like to pay almost $3 for a can pop.

If the price of soft drinks is all that important to you, I'd suggest bringing your own onboard.

18 minutes ago, avian777 said:

If the price of soft drinks is all that important to you, I'd suggest bringing your own onboard.

Wow - now I know why it is not wise to ask a question or express a thought, when you get a response like this.   I was only responding to the comment that the 50% discount may not available any more.   It is not that big a deal.  I cannot drink alcohol because of the meds I take and the discount was a perk I enjoyed.  Thank you.

Edited by boards
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, hugger said:

I  have a question regarding the 4* Mariner discount on the mini bar set up.  Does that include the bottled water that is often sitting outside the frig?

Yes, at least it has on our cruises.

• Thanks 1

On 2/12/2019 at 9:37 AM, Alberta Quilter said:

My six diet sprites cost over $15, once the service charge was included!  

If you only want a glass of soda (instead of a can) you might consider buying a soda card. For $25 you get $50 worth of fountain soft drinks. I can't remember the actual cost per drink but on our last sailing we still had funds left on the card at the end of our cruise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daisy-mae said:

If you only want a glass of soda (instead of a can) you might consider buying a soda card. For $25 you get $50 worth of fountain soft drinks. I can't remember the actual cost per drink but on our last sailing we still had funds left on the card at the end of our cruise. 

Did you get the fountain drinks from the bar or the pop machine?   When we were on the Konigsdam last Oct. it was out of service it seemed most of time.

2 minutes ago, boards said:

Did you get the fountain drinks from the bar or the pop machine?   When we were on the Konigsdam last Oct. it was out of service it seemed most of time.

We got the fountain drinks from the bar; we also ordered them in the Lido buffet and the MDR. We have only sailed the Niew Amsterdam and the Maasdam; I don't remember seeing self-serve soda machines on those ships.

11 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

We got the fountain drinks from the bar; we also ordered them in the Lido buffet and the MDR. We have only sailed the Niew Amsterdam and the Maasdam; I don't remember seeing self-serve soda machines on those ships.

We were surprised to see the machine.  It was near the bar on the Lido deck, opposite side to the "Dive In".  As I said it seemed we saw it being repaired more often than working.  Never did anyone get a drink from it.