What time to be back on ship???

RJPerque

re: Carnival Cruise Line

If we are in port (per itinerary) from 8-4, does that mean we have to be back ON the ship for 4?  Or do we have to back on ship like a hour or so before the 4pm??

I've cruised before and I truly don't remember how this works....THanks

Edited by RJPerque
incomplete

Generally what's printed on the itinerary is the actual departure time. Depending on the port, passengers are usually asked to be back onboard 30 minutes prior to departure. This information is always printed in the daily activity papers and prominently signposted at the gangway when getting off the ship (on every line I've sailed with -- and that's a few!).  

They are quite serious about it, so be sure you are back by the requested time and that your phone or watch matches the ship's time.

Thanks --- one of our travel group is saying that you have to be back on ship 2 hours before sail time......That just didn't sound right lol......1/2 hour sounds about right but we will definintely pay attention to signs when we leave the ship.....

I can't speak about Carnival, but in general the instruction to be on board 2 hours before departure time is on embarkation day, not during port stops.

Make sure that you know whether ship's time is different from local time. I recommend wearing a watch and keeping it set to ship's time if there's a difference. Smartphones, if they have service, will automatically change to local time unless you use a setting that prevents it.

4 minutes ago, RJPerque said:

Thanks --- one of our travel group is saying that you have to be back on ship 2 hours before sail time......That just didn't sound right lol......1/2 hour sounds about right but we will definintely pay attention to signs when we leave the ship.....

It is usually only at the initial embarkation port at the beginning of the cruise that passengers are required to be on board 90 minutes to two hours before sail time. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

30 mins. prior to "sail away time" is what they want.  If you're a few minutes late, the gangway is still down.  Try to be there on time, or they WILL leave at the posted sail away time.  Most folks like to leave 1 hour....but 30 mins is sufficient.

2 hours ago, RJPerque said:

If we are in port (per itinerary) from 8-4, does that mean we have to be back ON the ship for 4?  Or do we have to back on ship like a hour or so before the 4pm??

Always check the Fun Times news letter for that day and port for the all aboard times at each port. Take it with you just incase you are having way to much fun and forget the all aboard time. 

Edited by davekathy

19 hours ago, RJPerque said:

Generally, they will tell you what time to be back on the ship.  It's close to an hour before departure.  

Doesn't hurt to double check upon with a crew member when they're scanning your card to go ashore about what time to be back on board.

If I am on a non-ship sponsored excursion I like to be back at least an hour before they want me to be but if there's shopping nearby, I'll hang around and and do some shopping prior to boarding.