Holiday Cruises

txwriter

Does Princess only do holiday activities and special food/decorations if the actual day is during the cruise, or are there several weeks when holiday festivities can be enjoyed onboard?

I am looking specifically for Christmas decorations or activities, but I cannot take off day before AND after Christmas so when it falls in the middle of the week a cruise with the actual day would not be doable for me.

4 minutes ago, txwriter said:

Does Princess only do holiday activities and special food/decorations if the actual day is during the cruise, or are there several weeks when holiday festivities can be enjoyed onboard?

I am looking specifically for Christmas decorations or activities, but I cannot take off day before AND after Christmas so when it falls in the middle of the week a cruise with the actual day would not be doable for me.

The Xmas displays for example are put up after thanksgiving and taken down after the first of the year.

There are displays for Halloween Valentines Day St Patricks Day etc. Although they are not up as long, a day or 2 or maybe during the cruise only.

We've been on two Christmas cruises in the last two years and have been very impressed with the lovely decorations, especially the gingerbread houses!  The 2016 cruise started on December 4th and there were already lots of decorations up and, IIRC, more were added as we sailed.  The gingerbread houses were put up shortly before Christmas both on that cruise and our December 17, 2018 cruise.

Edited by capriccio

Boarding Royal Princess on December 29, 2018, the Christmas decorations were still up and remained so on January 5, 2019 when I left this beautiful ship.  I was surprised that the crew left the decorations in place that long after New Year's Day.

In our experience, holiday activities and menu items only happen when the holiday falls during the cruise. The Christmas decorations start appearing generally the first cruise after Thanksgiving in the U.S. When we were disembarking from the Royal a couple of years ago on December 20, I noticed they had started constructing a huge gingerbread display in the piazza. 

On 2/20/2019 at 7:33 AM, geoherb said:

In our experience, holiday activities and menu items only happen when the holiday falls during the cruise. The Christmas decorations start appearing generally the first cruise after Thanksgiving in the U.S. When we were disembarking from the Royal a couple of years ago on December 20, I noticed they had started constructing a huge gingerbread display in the piazza. 

This is not necessarily what I wanted to hear, but it is good information.  Thank you!

We have never cruised during the actual Holiday Sailing dates (too $$$)  but many times in the 2 weeks before Christmas (same cruise & weather, better $$$) .

Christmas decorations are always up but no Christmas activities.

Edited by MCC retired

Not that great is a generous statement.  We are going on our 5th Thanksgiving cruise this year and the turkey dinner is a far cry from traditional and, as mentioned, is not hand carved. We always cook one at home when we return. Small price to pay for 10 days of otherwise wonderful vacation....

1 hour ago, Missysole said:

Not that great is a generous statement.  We are going on our 5th Thanksgiving cruise this year and the turkey dinner is a far cry from traditional and, as mentioned, is not hand carved. We always cook one at home when we return. Small price to pay for 10 days of otherwise wonderful vacation....

I was being nice when I referred to their turkey dinner as not great. 

I was almost to the point of sending it back for something else. It was turkey breast & it reeked of so much pepper it was almost uneatable. 

After our meal I then discovered that they had carved turkey at the buffet. 😫

And that was the first time in many years we've gone to the DR for thanksgiving. 

On 2/21/2019 at 3:26 PM, bmc alabama said:

Do they serve Turkey on Thanksgiving?

On 2/21/2019 at 3:30 PM, capriccio said:

Yes and on Christmas too.

The turkey on the dining room menu on these days is the same turkey meal that is usually offered on the final full day of the cruise.