(Mini) Suite Life Goals

Wandering_star

Hello!

We are on the Royal's first trip up to Vancouver in May. We booked back in 2017 and final payment was earlier this month. Earlier this week the prices dropped - a lot! For what we paid for an obstructed balcony, they are now offering a mini suite. We are completely happy to stay where we are in our obstructed balcony (hoping for some compensation for the fare difference in the form of OBC), but if we were moved up to a mini suite, are there any additional perks we might enjoy? We already have access to the elite lounge (elite since 2017!).  Am I correct in understanding mini suite guests do not have access to breakfast in Sabatini's? Is the only big advantage to a mini suite a larger room (bathtub, separate seating area, etc)?

Thanks!

You are correct about the additional mini-suite advantages (except you left out 2 TVs and the glass of sparking wine (?) from your steward upon embarkation).  The breakfast in Sabatinis is only for full suite passengers.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Wandering_star said:

Hello!

We are on the Royal's first trip up to Vancouver in May. We booked back in 2017 and final payment was earlier this month. Earlier this week the prices dropped - a lot! For what we paid for an obstructed balcony, they are now offering a mini suite. We are completely happy to stay where we are in our obstructed balcony (hoping for some compensation for the fare difference in the form of OBC), but if we were moved up to a mini suite, are there any additional perks we might enjoy? We already have access to the elite lounge (elite since 2017!).  Am I correct in understanding mini suite guests do not have access to breakfast in Sabatini's? Is the only big advantage to a mini suite a larger room (bathtub, separate seating area, etc)?

Thanks!

Good luck.

The bathtub in a mini-suite may or may not be an advantage. DW has had two knee replacements and has trouble with stepping in and out of the tub. The shower in the balcony cabin is much better for her. We always book either a suite or a balcony - never a mini-suite - for this reason.

• Thanks 1

We have had the mini suite 3 times and we like having that extra space between the balcony and the bedroom area. We often get lunch at the International Cafe and bring it up to our room (since you often can't find a seat in the IC area) and sit there, especially if it is too cool to sit on the balcony.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The mini suites on Royal (and newer ships), have a curtain that pulls across making the bed a lightproof separate room. 

DH watches TV till long after I want to sleep or read and that curtain is wonderful for me. 

55 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

The mini suites on Royal (and newer ships), have a curtain that pulls across making the bed a lightproof separate room. 

DH watches TV till long after I want to sleep or read and that curtain is wonderful for me. 

Totally agreee about the curtain👍.

Also,the sofa in the mini suite is a plus over a regular balcony as is the extra storage throughout the cabin. 

Personally, I would take the upgrade of the mini suite over a possible offer of OBC

Surprisingly, I received a free upgrade to a mini-suite on Royal Princess in an excellent location.  I enjoyed having the additional interior room with storage capabilities that would rival a world cruise ship for those guests.  I had forgotten about the glass of sparkling wine.  My absolute excellent Cabin Steward knocked on my door while I was unpacking and offered that glass.  A very much appreciated perk of that category at that time during my cruise!

8 hours ago, Wandering_star said:

We are completely happy to stay where we are in our obstructed balcony (hoping for some compensation for the fare difference in the form of OBC),

Don't count on any voluntary compensation. They will be happy to leave you where you are at the price you paid. I would contact them and ask to be moved to the mini since it is now the same price you paid. If possible grab a Club Class mini and enjoy the CC dining. I sincerely doubt you will get anything at all unless you specifically ask.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

We are super disappointed in Princess - not only are they unwilling to provide a complimentary upgrade - even to a higher category of balcony cabin (we are booked into an obstructed balcony), they have offered a partial credit back for the price difference in the form of on board credit, but will take away the existing on board credit we already have (from a drinks package that was included in our original booking, that we will not use).  However the amount they offered is less than half of the price difference.

So what is the point of booking so far in advance again?

I understand the arguments against refaring, but we have received complimentary upgrades before when we noticed such a price difference between what we paid and posted fares after final payment, so I don't understand why they refuse to do so this time. There are tons of empty cabins - both balconies and mini suites (alas, no Club Class mini suites.... had I thought of it at the time, we may have had better luck asking to pay for an upgrade to Club Class... it was only $120pp more after the price reduction, when rooms were still available).

It just feels unfair... for the amount we could have saved (well over $800), we could have added a couple of days at Disneyland ahead of the cruise, or planned a mini cruise in the fall.  Lesson learned for us - no more super early bookings and maybe Princess is not the be all and end all of cruising. 

End of rant.

If you stuck around, thanks for reading!