Pick one:morning or night cabin service?

mama_2_boys

43 minutes ago, nessz79 said:

We plan on picking evening only on this next cruise as we'll be traveling with teenagers who enjoy sleeping in.  Besides that, there is no need for twice a day for us as we can always catch a steward when they are out in the hallway if anything urgent is needed.

We we thinking the same thing. I have not cruised since this change of asking which service we would prefer has gone into affect. After reading this thread, I think with our 3 older kids in the cabin next door night would work fine... I will just request extra towels! 

• Like 2

On 3/1/2019 at 9:16 PM, Steve551 said:

Evening is not so much about cleaning as it is leaving fresh towels and bed turn-down service.

Correct, on Carnival when you choose both service times per day the evening is for turn down service and not a full cleaning of the stateroom. 

• Haha 1

I chose morning and I regretted it because. I didn’t have fresh beach towels for excursions and it was always a struggle to get them to deliver new ones in the morning before we left. I will chose both next time. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dawnvan said:

I chose morning and I regretted it because. I didn’t have fresh beach towels for excursions and it was always a struggle to get them to deliver new ones in the morning before we left. I will chose both next time. 

Its an extra stop, but any towel hut would have gave you new towels or swapped out the old ones. I actually take the serenity ones off ship instead of the blue ones.

Edited by BigBuoys
  • Like 1

We select both. We tried morning only on a 4-day and it didn't work since we didn't get turndown service and we were constantly out of towels. We shower at least 2x a day - after the gym and before dinner. It feels like the towels never dry, so even when we try to reuse them, they're damp. So, now we just get both and we're assured of clean towels when we need them.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! I hate adding to the work load of the stewards but based on comments and our cruise schedules I feel twice a day will work best for us. Or at least fresh towels in the evening. Ours never dry by late afternoon when we use them in the mornings. We have a separate room booked for our kids and that one we are fine with once a day in mornings.

• Like 1

We choose both.  We take a shower first thing in the morning and again before dinner.  Getting both insures clean towels for both showers. We don't reuse towels at home, so why would we on vacation?  

They also fill our ice bucket twice a day.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DebJ14 said:

We choose both.  We take a shower first thing in the morning and again before dinner.  Getting both insures clean towels for both showers. We don't reuse towels at home, so why would we on vacation?  

They also fill our ice bucket twice a day.  

Can you get fresh washcloths and towels from housekeeping and ice from room service . OR will the room steward to leave extra towels for the evening when they service the cabin in the AM? 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, mama_2_boys said:

Thanks everyone! I hate adding to the work load of the stewards but based on comments and our cruise schedules I feel twice a day will work best for us. Or at least fresh towels in the evening. Ours never dry by late afternoon when we use them in the mornings. We have a separate room booked for our kids and that one we are fine with once a day in mornings.

You can ask them to leave extra towels when they service the room in the AM. For both rooms or you can call housekeeping. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, nessz79 said:

We plan on picking evening only on this next cruise as we'll be traveling with teenagers who enjoy sleeping in.  Besides that, there is no need for twice a day for us as we can always catch a steward when they are out in the hallway if anything urgent is needed.

The sleeping teenagers is so true. I don’t think any of the millennials wake up before 12 noon on vacations and weekends. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lady cruise line said:

Can you get fresh washcloths and towels from housekeeping and ice from room service . OR will the room steward to leave extra towels for the evening when they service the cabin in the AM? 

The reason we have continued to ask for both is that we have not been successful in getting extra towels during the morning servicing of the cabin.  In fact it has been like pulling teeth just to get washcloths every time. 

As for the ice, when we called room service to request it after we got back to our cabin in the evening, they informed us that we needed to be getting it from the room steward.  The stewards get an ice chest full of ice to distribute to their cabins both in the am and pm.   Besides, you have to tip room service!  

Calling housekeeping just causes more problems than it is worth.  If your steward is working on other cabins he has to stop that and respond to your request.  And if the steward is off, then someone else has to do the work.  Our steward specifically asked us not to call housekeeping and to always deal with him.  He implied he got in trouble from his floor supervisor.

I have had long discussions about the servicing with the Housekeeping managers on several ships and they said they expect the younger, less experienced cruisers to go with once a day service, as that is what they get at a Holiday Inn on land.  They said they expected the more experienced cruisers and those who stay at higher end resorts, who are used to twice a day service, to request both.  They promised that is something they will never take away from Diamond and Platinum cruisers, but I would not hold my breath on that one, considering the number of steward positions that were cut back.

Not going to be an issue for us on our next cruise as we will be in a suite and twice a day is the norm there.

• Like 1

We prefer evening.

Even before the change I would tell them if they were too busy to just skip the morning clean.

With two people in the cabin we just ask for two sets of towels each and we are good for morning and afternoon shower.

Dont see a need for a room to be serviced twice a day and not sure why so many feel like its a huge inconvenience to only get it once a day.

9 hours ago, DebJ14 said:

The stewards get an ice chest full of ice to distribute to their cabins both in the am and pm.

They have a huge ice machine in their utility room. I have to admit, the door is open and I have helped myself to a bucket of ice, when no one was around. 

11 minutes ago, coevan said:

They have a huge ice machine in their utility room. I have to admit, the door is open and I have helped myself to a bucket of ice, when no one was around. 

As a restaurateur you should know not to do that. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, coevan said:

Not on all the ships.  Not all have the ice machines in their utility rooms and they get still get a  cooler full of ice.  Our cruise in September the steward had the ice chest out in the hall.

11 hours ago, coevan said:

11 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

Did you also wash your hands without touching anything else before touching the ice?  Or did you help yourself to food safe gloves?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Did you also wash your hands without touching anything else before touching the ice?  Or did you help yourself to food safe gloves?

Why would you touch the ice with your hands, there's a huge ice scoop. Stop your over the edge paranoia. 

4 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Why? There is nothing unsanitary. My servers do not and are not required to use gloves filling an ice bin. Deep breaths

Something weird with the quoting - the second quote was me quoting someone else.

Does the scoop handle touch the ice or is there a holder for the scoop?  What is the ice bin used for that your servers fill?  Is it  ice for drinks or just ice used to keep food cold?

• Like 1

it's 2019 we have refrigerators, ice is for drinks, transferred from the ice machine to the ice bin to the cup, with a scoop, no gloves are required. BTW, tell me one cooking show you ever watched where Chefs where gloves? 

• Like 1