Pick one:morning or night cabin service?

mama_2_boys

19 hours ago, coevan said:

it's 2019 we have refrigerators, ice is for drinks, transferred from the ice machine to the ice bin to the cup, with a scoop, no gloves are required. BTW, tell me one cooking show you ever watched where Chefs where gloves? 

I didn't know what type of restaurant you own.  I have seen ice under the dishes at salad bars to keep food cold, that's what I was questioning.

If the scoop handle never touches the ice I agree that gloves shouldn't be required.  It's been years since I've watched cooking shows so I really don't know.  I also assume that those in food service wash their hands before touching something people will consume, regardless of glove usage (and prefer washed hands to gloves that never get changed).

I still wouldn't be happy to see a guest helping themselves to the open ice container that is for room stewards.  I wouldn't know if you had washed your hands before touching the scoop, which might then lay in the ice.  But if there isn't a sign that says employees only, help yourself I guess.

We pick evening service as we like to sleep in and we like to come in at night to a clean room.  If you get morning service they usually put the funtimes in your mail box outside your door in the evening.  I know a lot of people do not like Carnival but we have been sailing on Carnival for 20 years and it is like home for us, even though some things change.

If I'm sailing solo in the Caribbean, I ask for just morning service, no ice, no towel animals.  Bring me a robe and an extra pillow.  If I plan on sleeping late, I'll just put the snooze card out.  I like the cabin done when I'm having my breakfast, usually in the MDR.

If I'm not solo, or sailing Alaska, the Med or anywhere other than the Caribbean then 2x daily is my norm.

Edited by evandbob

18 hours ago, fyree39 said:

It's not my fault Carnival overworks and understaffs. Carnival really needs to get its act together.

Who said it was your fault or asked about staffing?  You simply need to tell them your needs, early, late or both.  How people read into this subject amazed me.

5 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I didn't know what type of restaurant you own.  I have seen ice under the dishes at salad bars to keep food cold, that's what I was questioning.

If the scoop handle never touches the ice I agree that gloves shouldn't be required.  It's been years since I've watched cooking shows so I really don't know.  I also assume that those in food service wash their hands before touching something people will consume, regardless of glove usage (and prefer washed hands to gloves that never get changed).

I still wouldn't be happy to see a guest helping themselves to the open ice container that is for room stewards.  I wouldn't know if you had washed your hands before touching the scoop, which might then lay in the ice.  But if there isn't a sign that says employees only, help yourself I guess.

Highly, highly doubt the stewards wash their hands before getting ice.

On 3/6/2019 at 10:46 AM, pacruise804 said:

(and prefer washed hands to gloves that never get changed).

100% agree,

most cooks do not wear gloves, if a glove gets burned, either on the flat top or flame, the rubber adheres to your skin. Too much cross contamination wearing gloves. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coevan said:

100% agree,

most cooks do not wear gloves, if a glove gets burned, either on the flat top or flame, the rubber adheres to your skin. Too much cross contamination wearing gloves. 

your right even in hospital settings they now use hand sanitizer and seem to enter your room with gloves on. hate it they use to wash hands in front of patient and you could see that they before they applied gloves

Just got off the Paradise.  When we met with our steward on the first day, he gave us a form to complete and it asked whether we wanted our cabin serviced morning, evening or both.  Yes, "both" was an option.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/4/2019 at 10:09 PM, Lottacruises said:

I ask them to come mid afternoon.

Not very nice considering that is when they are off duty.  They usually work until 12 or 1pm and then come back on duty in the late afternoon.

On 3/5/2019 at 10:44 PM, fyree39 said:

It's not my fault Carnival overworks and understaffs. Carnival really needs to get its act together.

Carnival has 26 ships that sail at close to full capacity every week, so I think they have their act together pretty well. 

I just got off the Breeze on March 9. When we were in our cabin on day one, our room steward, Luki, came in and handed us that form where we had to choose morning, evening, or both. Not only did I chose both, but I requested ice in an ice bucket twice a day. Luki was always on the ball, and did an excellent job without any complaints. We always leave a cash tip at end of cruise, on top of the prepaid gratuities. 

On 2/23/2019 at 7:58 PM, jimbo5544 said:

Curious as to where you perceive the decrease to be....

Adjusting for inflation, our cruises have gone way down in price over the past 20 years.

We may not have chocolates on the pillow anymore, but we have "Guys Burgers" and "Blue Iguana." We don't have tablecloths every night or an insane amount of silverware ["remember, just use the  eating utensil from the outside in"] but, FINALLY, after all these years, we have cakes at the buffet that tastes as good as they look. We no longer have big stage productions with a live band, but we have fantastic comedians, libraries with serve yourself wine, much easier embarkations, outdoor gyms to workout in, and fairly stress-free muster drills. We may have less "pool space' per person, but we have great water parks, no longer pay $9 a MINUTE if we need to get in touch with someone at home, and hey, a balcony is almost as inexpensive as an ocean view cabin[ remember when only the "richies" had balconies? I do.] 

I really can not see any decrease in value. not even a little bit.

Oh, and I pick evening.

Edited by vicky3vicky
Forgot to answer the original question.
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, vicky3vicky said:

Adjusting for inflation, our cruises have gone way down in price over the past 20 years.

We may not have chocolates on the pillow anymore, but we have "Guys Burgers" and "Blue Iguana." We don't have tablecloths every night or an insane amount of silverware ["remember, just use the  eating utensil from the outside in"] but, FINALLY, after all these years, we have cakes at the buffet that tastes as good as they look. We no longer have big stage productions with a live band, but we have fantastic comedians, libraries with serve yourself wine, much easier embarkations, outdoor gyms to workout in, and fairly stress-free muster drills. We may have less "pool space' per person, but we have great water parks, no longer pay $9 a MINUTE if we need to get in touch with someone at home, and hey, a balcony is almost as inexpensive as an ocean view cabin[ remember when only the "richies" had balconies? I do.] 

I really can not see any decrease in value. not even a little bit.

In the almost 20-years of cruising with Carnival I think that the biggest changes have been in the quality of the food and entertainment.  I'm not saying that it isn't good now, because I'm still cruising with Carnival, but IMHO it isn't as good as it once was.

• Like 1