Pick one:morning or night cabin service?

mama_2_boys

16 minutes ago, Micah's Grandad said:

Very true. They do not exactly offer to reduce autotips for 1x cabin service.

Speaking of ad naseum, there is no correlation between 2 a day and tips.  While you certainly have the right to pull tips and feel justified, I have yet to hear anyone doing so for this reason.  Since you brought up tip pulling, I would not be surprised to see Carnival make it much harder to do just that in the not distant future (and I would applaud that endeavor if it comes to pass).

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, fyree39 said:

Well, unless I'm missing something, Carnival is the only line that's made twice-daily service optional.  For everyone else, it's standard. In the good old days, you simply placed the "SNOOZING" sign on your cabin door and the stewards would skip your room.

If you read some of the other threads here, stewards are starting to lead the guests to believe "both" isn't an option. Carnival needs to fix this by staffing changes.

It’s not a question of if, it’s just a question of when Carnival completely changes to only servicing a cabin once a day. The days of a cabin being serviced twice a day will soon be just a memory like tablecloths in the MDR every night.  

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Speaking of ad naseum, there is no correlation between 2 a day and tips.  While you certainly have the right to pull tips and feel justified, I have yet to hear anyone doing so for this reason.  Since you brought up tip pulling, I would not be surprised to see Carnival make it much harder to do just that in the not distant future (and I would applaud that endeavor if it comes to pass).

I agree 100%!

• Like 3

Evenings only for us.  My sister typically doesn't leave her room until noon or later, and it's no different on a cruise unless it is a port day and we have an excursion.  We only shower in the evening, and since we do early dining, the towels are replaced with evening service.  EM

No where does Carnival guarantee twice daily service and even if you request service twice daily, not all tasks are performed twice daily. Tips are based on per day of service, not per service.

Hollow are threats of cruisers leaving Carnival for other cruise lines. Most don't And every cruise line has dissatisfied cruisers. Carnival certainly picks up their share.

10 years from now, no cruise line will be the same as it is today.

Sincerely,

Captain Obvious.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Well Jimbo hear is the thing.

As a long time cruiser (with somewhere over 30 cruises on Carnival) we always tipped before the advent of auto tips and had no problem when this was instituted.

We always received twice daily cleaning/refreshing of our cabin and have come to expect it. These days some stewards will automatically do it twice daily and some will take advantage of all the new cruisers, who have no idea of past history, and influence them to accept either morning or night.

As far as I am concerned we are tipping based on 2x and if they ever go to 1x service would give us something to consider in deciding tipping of the steward.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, windsor26 said:

That could be because it was an RCI cruise and this thread is discussing Carnival cruises

That just happened to be our last cruise, but we have enjoyed this style of  service industry wide.  We find when offering gratuities upon meeting our cabin steward, they take care of us.  We don't need to ask what  "service" time we prefer.  They JUST DO IT.  Thank you again for your personal observation.  

1 minute ago, Micah's Grandad said:

Well Jimbo hear is the thing.

As a long time cruiser (with somewhere over 30 cruises on Carnival) we always tipped before the advent of auto tips and had no problem when this was instituted.

We always received twice daily cleaning/refreshing of our cabin and have come to expect it. These days some stewards will automatically do it twice daily and some will take advantage of all the new cruisers, who have no idea of past history, and influence them to accept either morning or night.

As far as I am concerned we are tipping based on 2x and if they ever go to 1x service would give us something to consider in deciding tipping of the steward.

As I previously mentioned, the option to tip or not (for whatever reason the cruiser feels appropriate is at their perogitive).  Whether it is how many times their cabins get cleaned, or the ice not filled quick enough or they do not like the style of the RS hair.  My point was (and is) is that this “option” is done by cruisers for all sorts of reasons and according John, in increased frequency.  It very well may come to pass that Carnival may push back on this type of action by doing things like requesting written request after the cruise has been completed (I have read NCL does something like this but I do not know).

4 minutes ago, HillBilly Bob said:

That just happened to be our last cruise, but we have enjoyed this style of  service industry wide.  We find when offering gratuities upon meeting our cabin steward, they take care of us.  We don't need to ask what  "service" time we prefer.  They JUST DO IT.  Thank you again for your personal observation.  

Do what?  Is it a problem they ask you?

Edited by jimbo5544

We pick evening.  I pull up the covers in the morning knowing that at some point in the day DH will definitely be taking a nap, so the bed will not stay made.  We rarely order room service, but if we do, we'll place the tray outside of the cabin once the morning cabin service has started. We never are out of towels, or have overflowing trash in between.  If I want ice I ask the steward when I see him/her and they always get it for me within a few minutes. If I don't run into them, I will run to the lido and fill our tervis cups. I cannot tell you how many times when we had 2x per day we would come back from working out or some other activity expecting to change, and they were in the midst of cleaning the room, LOL! It works for us, but they always offer to provide 2x service when they present the card to us, so I don't feel any reduction to service.  I do hate having to ask for a bathrobe.  That's one service cutback that annoys me.

• Like 2

Our Cabin steward only gave us a morning or evening option and told us the times he worked during these times, (not as many hours as people think)  the morning option was better for us as his evening hours would be when we were in our cabin getting ready for dinner, to be honest he didnt do a very good job for 3 days we had no shower gel and the shower mat was not replaced despite requesting and on the day we were in San Juan i think the only thing done was the bins were emptied 

1 minute ago, glittergal1 said:

Our Cabin steward only gave us a morning or evening option and told us the times he worked during these times, (not as many hours as people think)  the morning option was better for us as his evening hours would be when we were in our cabin getting ready for dinner, to be honest he didnt do a very good job for 3 days we had no shower gel and the shower mat was not replaced despite requesting and on the day we were in San Juan i think the only thing done was the bins were emptied 

OK, I will bite, how many hours did he tell you?

Weve never sailed with Carnival before so were not use to the 1 cabin clean a day  system or what the working hours are so weve no idea if he was telling the truth or just told us what he did for and easy life for himself he said morning was between 8am-11am and evening 6pm-8pm   . 

Just got off an 8 day on the Sunshine and on the first night the steward asked if we preferred morning, evening, or both.  I asked what was easiest for them and he said morning so that's what we took.  We still had a towel animal in the mornings and I'm not sure when the Funtimes were delivered, but they were always there.

I've never tipped a room steward in advance and we've always had good service, but just like the MDR wait team we leave an envelope with some extra on the last night.

• Like 2

Typically once a day, night time turn down service.  We like to chill in the morning, enjoy coffee and some breakfast on the balcony before starting our day (we also have a teen that likes to sleep in).   Dont like to feel rushed on vacation especially in the morning, just our preference.  We are not in our cabin from dinner time on until late at night at the earliest (10:00 or 11:00) so it only makes sense that they have the freedom to do it in the evening when we are not there.   To each their own...

Edited by Drazil65
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, glittergal1 said:

Weve never sailed with Carnival before so were not use to the 1 cabin clean a day  system or what the working hours are so weve no idea if he was telling the truth or just told us what he did for and easy life for himself he said morning was between 8am-11am and evening 6pm-8pm   . 

Not sure about your specific conversation, but RS work WAY more the 5 hours a day.  Not sure if this makes you feel better or worse, but take my word for it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Drazil65 said:

Typically once a day, night time turn down service.  We like to chill in the morning, enjoy coffee and some breakfast on the balcony before starting our day (we also have a teen that likes to sleep in).   Dont like to feel rushed on vacation especially in the morning, just our preference.  We are not in our cabin from dinner time on until late at night at the earliest (10:00 or 11:00) so it only makes sense that they have the freedom to do it in the evening when we are not there.   To each their own...

another good example of why options work (to the dismay of some posters here....)  

• Like 1

We chose morning cleanings on our last cruise.   It was just my husband and I.  We could have chosen both but I saw no need.  Our next cruise is back to the four of us (2 kids) in one inside room  so not sure what we will choose.  I am not that stressed about it.  

I choose morning because that’s when they have someone to assist them. They used to have help in the morning and evening but not anymore. Since most passengers still demand both I try to be compassionate. Why not? I only get serviced once a day at most hotels anyway this one just floats.

• Like 1

Just now, Lady cruise line said:

I choose morning because that’s when they have someone to assist them. They used to have help in the morning and evening but not anymore. Since most passengers still demand both I try to be compassionate. Why not? I only get serviced once a day at most hotels anyway this one just floats.

Once a day, evening. When they ask, I usually say just leave extra towels. If I happen to have room service plates to clear, I just catch them when they are doing morning service. Never understood why I would need my room cleaned at 9AM and 5PM. 

• Like 3