Pick one:morning or night cabin service?

mama_2_boys

I haven’t cruised with Carnival since the selection started but we will  pick both on our cruise Saturday on the Horizon. We like our bed made in the morning and clean towels and a tidied bathroom in the evening. We always tip our room stewards extra. They work incredibly hard. Carnival needs to provide more staff so they’re not so over worked.

3 hours ago, schazzy said:

Hardly anything is these days.

I think you and I tend to share sentiments on lots of things. This is where I disagree with you. Sure we can look back to when there was a big midnight fruit buffet or a higher quality dinners. Remember, all of those things exist somewhere, yet the industry doesn't overwhelmingly choose those. It is now more affordable, allowing more people to cruise and more frequently that before. Not to mention larger ships with more activities. I would bet there are a lot of people that would prefer this to the old ways. For those who don't, again, it's still out there.

37 minutes ago, coevan said:

sorry, but that is one weird comment, how negative an attitude. 

Sorry, it was more a comment on the attitude of things in general aren't as good as people remember them once being.

Edited by schazzy

19 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I think you and I tend to share sentiments on lots of things. This is where I disagree with you. Sure we can look back to when there was a big midnight fruit buffet or a higher quality dinners. Remember, all of those things exist somewhere, yet the industry doesn't overwhelmingly choose those. It is now more affordable, allowing more people to cruise and more frequently that before. Not to mention larger ships with more activities. I would bet there are a lot of people that would prefer this to the old ways. For those who don't, again, it's still out there.

Like I said in my response to coevan, it was more my sardonic sense of humor, I for one don't miss midnight buffets or the super fancy dinners. I'm not totally sold on the bigger ships yet, but I'm working on that. I enjoy cruising more now with the several changes and additions than I ever did. 

Morning for me.

A bachelor these days, so I pretty much makeup my own room. Roughly make the bed, put clothes away, keep the desk and bathroom neat. I'm happy when the steward enters my cabin and can relax and take a break.

The first time this question was asked I was a little confused. Then thought here we go, starting to get less for my money. After a few cruises I don't really see why I need the room cleaned up twice. We are gone from the room almost all day, It's not dirty. We pick morning service. Steward stops by at night and gives fun times and change beach towels.

• Like 2

We don’t need both, I would pick morning then stop buy and bring a funtimes and some ice, we will be happy.

and the reason I rather morning is I’m on vacation so if I can get someone to make me bed for me for a few days I’m very gracious lol

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Joebucks said:

What people want is the best for the cheapest.  The big dog in the room is that cruise lines are building billion dollar ships to entice people.  

13 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

Yes. Most definitely both. We were always used to both, and I continue with it. It’s not that our room is messy, but I like my bathroom freshened up, clean towels, and fresh ice. So, yes, always both for me.

Same here... If we could only pick one, don't know which it would be because we really like having both.  :classic_blush:

10 hours ago, OCruisers said:

Same here... If we could only pick one, don't know which it would be because we really like having both.  :classic_blush:

Then choose both. That is what we prefer, and what we chose. When the steward asked us if we wanted morning or evening, I simply said “both”, and to fill ice bucket twice a day. Our steward was great! Don’t even think you need to feel guilty about choosing both. And until they actually say you can only choose one or the other, I will continue to choose both.

We can just call it what it is. Carnival wants to save money and reduce staff by giving each room steward more rooms. They make this possible by asking guests if they want morning or night service (or both). They hope that by having to communicate this to the room steward directly, you'll feel more pressured to only choose one. If this wasn't the case, you'd be able to choose it online like you can choose your bed configuration. 

I like twice a day service. I like having my room cleaned in the morning, and I like the turn down service with the towel animal and fun times at night. Its one of the small things that I look forward to about cruising. I'm still going to choose twice per day service, but it does make for an uncomfortable interaction the first time that you meet your room steward, since you're basically asking them to do more work for you than other people.

I chose morning because that's the most practical for us. Bed gets made, towels get replaced after we've showered, and room service dishes get cleaned up. I don't care at all about turndown service, and really don't need the bed to be made twice, even though we often nap in the afternoon. We just ask to leave extra towels in the morning in case we run out.

They always did a towel animal in the morning and then would come back in the afternoon and drop off the FunTimes and all that good stuff.

I pick both.  We are not messy so in the evening I just want turndown service and fresh towels, if needed.

We tip extra at the end of the cruise, and if we can't have both morning & evening service, we may just discontinue the extra tip.

I have never been offered the choice, but with 18 sea days on the Carnival Splendor to Singapore in Oct., I’m debating whether I will just opt for evening service or hang the do not disturb sign on those mornings I  want to hang out in my cabin with my jammies on. It’s just me, and I’m pretty neat, so not much to do but replace towels.

Edited by crzndeb

We pick mornings because it is nice to come back to a nice clean stateroom in the middle of the day.  If we choose nightly service then it means that our cabin has messy beds and a dirty bathroom all day and the only time we get to enjoy a clean room would be only for a few hours at night before we turn in for the night.  And while some people say they are never in their cabin during the day we can say that is totally untrue of us.  We are always running back to our cabin to brush our teeth after lunch,  change our clothes if we get too sweaty, retreat to our balcony if the pool area is too loud and crowded and yes, at our ages of 70 and 72, to take a nap.

8 hours ago, CheckersMidwest said:

Morning. I would like the bed made and fresh towels after we've showered. I could make the bed myself but I don't want to. (I refuse to cook, clean, or do laundry on vacation. I do 100% of it at home and not doing it.) Our cabin is clean all day.

2 hours ago, lady_cruiser said:

We pick mornings because it is nice to come back to a nice clean stateroom in the middle of the day.  If we choose nightly service then it means that our cabin has messy beds and a dirty bathroom all day and the only time we get to enjoy a clean room would be only for a few hours at night before we turn in for the night.  And while some people say they are never in their cabin during the day we can say that is totally untrue of us.  We are always running back to our cabin to brush our teeth after lunch,  change our clothes if we get too sweaty, retreat to our balcony if the pool area is too loud and crowded and yes, at our ages of 70 and 72, to take a nap.

Happily we can still have Both but agree with you if only one choice it would be Morning.  

On 4/1/2019 at 10:14 PM, Steve551 said:

In the almost 20-years of cruising with Carnival I think that the biggest changes have been in the quality of the food and entertainment.  I'm not saying that it isn't good now, because I'm still cruising with Carnival, but IMHO it isn't as good as it once was.

well of course its not as good. No more midnight buffets. No more exceptional food displays worthy of picture taking and waiting in line to do it. No more beautiful works of art the ice sculptures. Nothing is the same. But it's still fun hope that they don't skimp anymore in fact i wish they would bring back the old days of cruising.  

1 hour ago, the mistral wind said:

well of course its not as good. No more midnight buffets. No more exceptional food displays worthy of picture taking and waiting in line to do it. No more beautiful works of art the ice sculptures. Nothing is the same. But it's still fun hope that they don't skimp anymore in fact i wish they would bring back the old days of cruising.  

Take it from someone who just returned to Carnival after several years of Cruising RCCL and NCL, the food on Carnival is some of the best we have had! So much so, we have a B2B booked for next year on the Magic. Carnival gave us a fabulous cruise with excellent food, fun activities and entertainment, all at a great price. I think there will be many more Carnival cruises in my future. Let me add that we had 5 Carnival cruises under our belt up until 2007 before trying other lines, so I, too, remember the Midnight Buffets with ice sculptures, and many more perks for just being a Past Cruiser, no matter how many cruises you had with them, including cocktail parties with complimentary drinks and appetizers. I also received a large gift bag full of goodies when I booked a cruise billed as a Past Cruiser Cruise, and that was only my 4 th cruise with Carnival. Now, you have to be a Platinum or Diamond guest to get those perks. So, I remember a lot that is now gone, but the value remains for a great cruise.

Edited by grandmarnnurse

We choose night. We like the turn down service. Plus during the day we "take naps".  So when we come back after lunch we don't run into the cleaning service, like we did in the pasted. Plus we just mess the bed up anyways. But at night they clean while we are at dinner and out around the ship. So doesn't mess their service up by us coming in the room. 

So far it has worked out for us just to have the late cleaning service. 

Edited by Kudos2Fly

On 4/5/2019 at 2:16 PM, grandmarnnurse said:

Take it from someone who just returned to Carnival after several years of Cruising RCCL and NCL, the food on Carnival is some of the best we have had! So much so, we have a B2B booked for next year on the Magic. Carnival gave us a fabulous cruise with excellent food, fun activities and entertainment, all at a great price. I think there will be many more Carnival cruises in my future. Let me add that we had 5 Carnival cruises under our belt up until 2007 before trying other lines, so I, too, remember the Midnight Buffets with ice sculptures, and many more perks for just being a Past Cruiser, no matter how many cruises you had with them, including cocktail parties with complimentary drinks and appetizers. I also received a large gift bag full of goodies when I booked a cruise billed as a Past Cruiser Cruise, and that was only my 4 th cruise with Carnival. Now, you have to be a Platinum or Diamond guest to get those perks. So, I remember a lot that is now gone, but the value remains for a great cruise.

okay i will let you know. i have one cruise booked with them on the miracle. And the following month with rccl. I will let you know if i agree with your critique. 

50 minutes ago, ccd228 said:

I've read some reviews from people off the Horizon this past month and they were offered only service morning or evening. Only one not both. Anyone know if that is true for that ship?

We were on Horizon a few weeks ago and our cabin steward only offered us a choice of morning or evening.  On other cruises we have been offered morning, evening or both. I know Carnival is moving towards servicing a room only once a day, but most likely you can still have your cabin serviced twice a day if you request it. We requested morning service, so I can’t tell you for sure if you will get service twice a day if you request it.