Royal misses PUerto Madryn

sunsetme

I am on board and am not believing the line we are told.  We have a balcony cabin - the waters are flat with very little wind.

Port Stanley was always going to be a maybe as this will be a tender port - which means it will have to be perfectly calm waters.

We have been late into every port and have had 2 excursions cancelled.  Puerto Madryn was not advertised as being weather dependant.  On the Sea Princess in the North Atlantic we had much heavier weather with no loss of time or ports.

3 minutes ago, Judymbn said:

I am on board and am not believing the line we are told.  We have a balcony cabin - the waters are flat with very little wind.

Port Stanley was always going to be a maybe as this will be a tender port - which means it will have to be perfectly calm waters.

We have been late into every port and have had 2 excursions cancelled.  Puerto Madryn was not advertised as being weather dependant.  On the Sea Princess in the North Atlantic we had much heavier weather with no loss of time or ports.

So what line would you believe? Perhaps there is a plan afoot to intentionally disrupt everyone’s holiday?

Edited by richsea
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Judymbn said:

You can’t tell what the seas are or the wind or the squalls from looking from your balcony! The captain is there to keep us all safe. We are on the ship also. While it’s disappointing, it is the chance you take sailing this type of cruise. 

Denise 

Edited by dchip
  • Like 2

We have just had an update from the Captain - turning back to Puerto Madryn to pickup the Cape of Horn pilots - due to the fact the weather in Port Standley may not be suitable for them to board - which would mean we will not be getting off.

Is this the most disorganised cruise there has ever been?

The decision includes consideration of what the conditions will be later in the day when they need to get everyone back on board and get the ship out to sea.   If conditions are expected to worsen, impacting return and exiting the port area, they will cancel the port.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Judymbn said:

We have just had an update from the Captain - turning back to Puerto Madryn to pickup the Cape of Horn pilots - due to the fact the weather in Port Standley may not be suitable for them to board - which would mean we will not be getting off.

Sorry the port was missed.......

So you question the Captain?  Safety first.   smh

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Judymbn said:

Chill, Judy. I very much doubt it is. In my own experience, I would have preferred to miss Nice, France, instead of trying to dock in a storm when a gust of wind pushed our ship into the breakwater, tearing two holes below the waterline and effectively ending that cruise and the next one. I’m sure others can offer many similar tales. 

Part of cruising is rolling with the punches, which are most often weather-related. The cruise line isn’t doing this to irritate its guests.  You might consider how unhappy you’d be if a decision was made that effectively ended your cruise today. 

• Like 13

OP, keep in mind that Royal Princess is a very large ship that has a very large surface area on each side that is subject to wind coming from either direction.  This can have a "sail-effect" which makes it difficult to safely dock a vessel.  Also, this is the first time that a Princess ship this large, with her current Captain, has visited this port.  The Captain's decision to cancel your port stop is disappointing, but safety for the guests, the crew, and the ship itself is more important than your disappointment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Judymbn said:

5 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Sorry the port was missed.......

So you question the Captain?  Safety first.   smh

I’ve heard a few such passengers who think they’re more of an expert than the captain & all of the information he receives.

It’s not disorganization but a captain making the best decisions possible for the safety of the ship & everyone onboard.  Never understood passengers who allowed their disappointment to result in attacking the captain’s educated decisions based on a passengers uneducated assessment based solely on their observations...crazy! 🙄

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Judymbn said:

And you received your master's certificate from which merchant marine academy?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

As a consumer, of course you question everyone you hire.

Everyone. Every service provider. 

To the OP - what has the captain told the paying customers - why is there a disruption to your schedule?

It is called customer service - the captain is an employee of every guest on this ship.

The captains job is to inform the customer of the situation, options, consequences and explain his/her choice.

No different than a renovator, landscaper etc.

Do people on CC have a separate approach to cruise lines versus other service providers?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

To the OP - what has the captain told the paying customers - why is there a disruption to your schedule?

It is called customer service - the captain is an employee of every guest on this ship.

The captains job is to inform the customer of the situation, options, consequences and explain his/her choice.

Do people on CC have a separate approach to cruise lines versus other service providers?

I don't question the Captain of my cruises. 

He is the professional not me.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

The Captain is Master of the Vessel, with rights to reroute the ship, enforce discipline on crew and even early disembarking and or temporary cabin quarantine of guests. That is not an employee relationship. He has charge.

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I don't question the Captain of my cruises. 

He is the professional not me.

I second that....I will never question the captain!    I always want to make it back home safely even if it means we miss every port.    What a shame that would be having to enjoy all the amenities and food on board as we miss the ports.    SAFETY FIRST!!!   

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Judymbn said:

What in the world did you do to make the captain angry with you?

In a way, I can understand the OP's angst.  Penguins:  both the Argentinean port as well as Stanley are the prime ports for tours that allow one to visit these magnificent birds.  Too miss both ports on an itinerary such as this--which is not easily repeated for most of us--would be very disappointing.

If that happens, to blame Princess or Captain Nash is "blame" mis-placed.  King Neptune had other plans for the sea and wind conditions impacting Royal Princess in her ports.  "Stuff happens!"  Deal with it!  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

The upset passenger has posted the captain is providing updates so why do you assume that customer service is lacking? 🤔  Is that based on one upset passenger who’s unwilling to accept that weather prevents the safe operation & instead is using their uneducated assumptions.

That person is upset due to the changes but no one is questioning being very disappointed.  However when that disappointment results in questioning the decisions being made that’s ridiculous.  “Puerto Madryn was not advertised as being weather dependent” comes from someone who has unrealistic expectations about shipboard travel.  Having sailed that itinerary making any port is definitely “weather dependent” just like all other ports of call around the world.

No different than a renovator or landscaper...do you demand they do things that are unsafe for you?  Are those people responsible for thousands of lives on a floating city at sea costing nearly $800 million?

Is there a separate approach for a cruise ship?   Absolutely because anything related to safety is more important than placating a few passengers who are upset by a change to their plans & who are unwilling to believe the reasons for changes like it’s some sort of conspiracy to disappointment passengers.  Oh yeah...that’s the cruise line’s ultimate goal.

I heard an angry passenger berating a captain because he decided to not sail from Port Chalmers NZ resulting in missing Christchurch.  Winds were so strong that mooring lines broke & the ship required tugs to keep the ship docked.  Everyone was very disappointed however this passenger vehemently questioned his decision.  The captain calmly explained “Madam, if we would have sailed last night we would have not only missed Christchurch but the remainder of the cruise due to damaging the ship by attempting to navigate through the narrow harbor entrance”.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, richsea said:

Astro Flyer, the author of the post you quote has a long history of finding fault with pretty much everything about all cruiselines in general. Consider the source.

Thanks...their post appeared more like a defense attorney lacking facts & instead making assumptions that are not based on evidence.

“The captain is an employee of every guest on this ship”...sounds like from someone who hasn’t heard about chain of command.  The captain is ultimately responsible for the safety of everyone onboard & there are other crewmembers whose jobs are to provide customer service.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

The captain calmly explained “Madam, if we would have sailed last night we would have not only missed Christchurch but the remainder of the cruise due to damaging the ship by attempting to navigate through the narrow harbor entrance”.

The Captain’s answer is among the most classic responses I’ve ever heard. 

Absolutely superb!!

He may have a second career awaiting him writing screenplays.