Ground Transportation to NYC Cruise Terminal from NJ

nhquilter1

Does anyone have any tips for finding ground transportation to the pier from NJ? I've checked Super Shuttle but they won't pick us up at home, so far it seems like Uber is the way to go but was curious if anyone had any other suggestions. There are four of us traveling from Bedminster NJ.

TIA

19 minutes ago, nhquilter1 said:

Does anyone have any tips for finding ground transportation to the pier from NJ? I've checked Super Shuttle but they won't pick us up at home, so far it seems like Uber is the way to go but was curious if anyone had any other suggestions. There are four of us traveling from Bedminster NJ.

TIA

Man geez, 4 people well at least you have many to split the fare with.  I dont think this is a good option for regular people but for me it would work depending on cost, everything is about cost.  If you could get some sucker to drive you to New Brunswick, NJ, Downtown, then from there you could take megabus to Port Authority Bus Terminal - Gate 417, New York, NY 10018, then from there you could just walk down 40th street or 42 second street to the hudson and then to the pier about 3/4 mile (or take the m42 bus) or you could take the northeast corridor train from new brunswick to penn station and then walk about 1.2 miles down 34th street to the pier.   With 2 people it probably would be cheaper for megabus/train but with four splitting the cost of transportation dont know if it is worth it.  Traveling on the frugal!

Edited by Newleno

14 minutes ago, RHilla619 said:

Your best bet is to take the train from White House Station into New York Penn, and from there take a uber/cab/lyft over to the port.

dont you have to switch trains somewhere along the line if you do that?

1 hour ago, Newleno said:

dont you have to switch trains somewhere along the line if you do that?

Correct, it'd be White House -> NEWARK Penn and the transfer trains for a NEWARK -> NEWARK. About a 90 - 110 trip depending on which train you take.

2 hours ago, nhquilter1 said:

TIA

Bedminster is a great town and not too far from Cape Liberty but it seems you are going into Manhattan.

That said I have had good luck with Dial 7. Perhaps you can check out their rates.

Would it be that much more expensive to just drive there and split the parking fee at the terminal between the four people? If its for a week that would be about $75 each. Doesn't seem bad for a RT ride to NY with parking. Parking there is very convenient. And it's very smooth on debarkation day, not trying to figure out when/where exactly to meet your Uber or cab. We have done both and prefer parking there. Just a thought.

I recently travelled to NYC and unfortunately had to have emergency surgery while there. When discharged I took Uber XL from NYC to Newark airport. The cost was $70 plus my tip. I thought that was very reasonable and would use that service again in the future. I have also used Airbrook car service their charge was $110. Check out both options.

We looked into this for our Breakaway Bermuda sailing two years ago. We were taking my Dad who lives in Pluckemin (The Hills). We flew in before the cruise and stayed with him the night before so we needed the same transport as you. We priced out Uber but getting a suitable vehicle was difficult due to luggage. Few Ubers, even UberX had trunks large enough to accommodate five suite cases. After running the numbers the savings was going to be less than $50 arranging car service over parking at the pier. Since dad has a mini-van that could accommodate us all we did that.

We took 287 up to 80, across the GW and down the west side expressway right into the port. On a Sunday morning it couldn't have been easier.

I have flown into JFK and taken the train out to Whitehouse. It was a major hassle with luggage as the trains are designed for commuters, not tourists with luggage. I really wouldn't recommend it. Plus on Sunday the schedule is limited so returning might entail delays.

Edited by Paul Bogle

Parking at the pier is $40/day ($280 total).  Pricey but not terrible divided by 4 people.  Gas and tolls would add to that obviously.  But if a car service can beat, then go for it, but with four people Uber may have capacity issue with your luggage (as Paul Bogle mentioned). 

I'm in South Jersey and usually take Bolt Bus from Cherry Hill to Manhattan.  Usually under $30 r/t pp.