Flight to Which NY airport for cruise

cheeseclan

We will be going on the Caribbean Orincess out of the Brooklyn pier on Monday Oct 14. We currently have the Princess shuttle from airport to ship the day of cruise.  They will take us from either JFK, LGA or EWR.  

We will fly United so will go into either LGA or EWR.  It sounds like LGA would be easier to get from on a Monday!  

If we do LGA should we do Uber or Lyft instead?  TIA

We cruised out of Brooklyn and flew LGA, and had no problems.  But it does seem by your post you are flying in the same day of the cruise?  If so, I would take the earliest flight to get there in case there are any problems on the way.  If you still have the option I would consider flying in the day before.  Can't help with Uber as we took a taxi to our hotel.

We did this cruise on Princess and you will love it.  Have a great time!

LGA will be much closer than EWR.  With all the construction there though, Uber/Lyft pick-up spots, for at least some terminals, have been relocated and are less convenient than just getting a cab.

Edited by waterbug123

As OP probably know, weekeday morning traffic between airports and most homeport cruise terminals are likely a challenge & unpredictable, especially when flying in (non-stop & hopefully, not a connecting ones via another airline hub) I would use LGA over EWR to Brooklyn's Red Hook pier, no bridges to really go over and/or tunnels (Hudson River & East River) - just 15 miles of bumper-to-bumper commuter & commercial traffic on the congested I-278/BQE.  Allow up to 60+ and as much as 90 minutes for the transfer vs. easily 2 to 3 hours coming from EWR.  No tolls to pay to/from LGA and a good taxi/car service or Uber driver will find & use an alternate route faced with excessive delays along the route.

There's a well known, popular & bypass thru the city streets of Queens, thru Williamsburgh & the Brooklyn waterfront into DUMBO district and, you get a free Manhattan skyline drive-by tour - that we locals zipped thru as it is also a designated Snow Emergency Route, just deal w. traffic lights, stop signs & a few red-light cameras ... real-time GPS navigation.  No such option for EWR into NYC if hit with a massive gridlock, like on the G.W. Bridge's upper level closure last Saturday morning coming into NYC (if heading for Manhattan Cruise Terminal.)  

P.S.  United flights arrive/depart out of the newly expanded Terminal B (a/k/a Central Terminal to many) and has designed taxi, car service/FHV pickup area with good signage, a shuttle ride to a remote parking lot for pickup is no longer done) - yes, constructions as part of the long term redevelopment still ongoing, but by this Fall, should be edging toward its 2020 completion.  

Collage 2019-02-25 11_01_05.jpg

Caption - Feb. 2019 (not 2029)

Edited by mking8288

Thanks everyone.  We will be flying in the day before and staying at an airport hotel. Easier since lateish arrival.

Looks like I might just keep the Princess transfer at this point.

And it makes sense flying into LGA.

Edited by cheeseclan

4 hours ago, cheeseclan said:

Thanks everyone.  We will be flying in the day before and staying at an airport hotel. Easier since lateish arrival.

Looks like I might just keep the Princess transfer at this point.

And it makes sense flying into LGA.

If you are flying in the day before and depending on what time then EWR is a viable option. Depending on where you are flying from EWR will most likely have many more flight options.  You can just take the train into Manhattan and spend the night there and experience it then grab a cab/uber to the port the next morning.  Just another option to consider. 

I am on a Princess New England & Canada Cruise out of New York.  I will be flying from Toronto, Canada on Air Canada on the day of the cruise on their first flight (1 1/2 hour, flight).  Air Canada flys to JFK, LGA and EWR.  I will be taking Princess transfers.

Which airport should I fly into?

4 minutes ago, phabric said:

I am on a Princess New England & Canada Cruise out of New York.  I will be flying from Toronto, Canada on Air Canada on the day of the cruise on their first flight ... to JFK, LGA and EWR.  I will be taking Princess transfers.  Which airport should I fly into?

We are close to and live across LGA's runway but always prefer to be driven/go that extra 8+ miles to JFK for its much longer (safer) runways for ILS approach under less than ideal weather conditions, less prone to air traffic delays & FAA ground stops. 

It seemed Princess might use either Brooklyn or Manhattan terminal for its NE cruises, I am not sure how to advise, but I would lean toward using JFK if you meet their shuttle guideline for embarkation day pickup.  It will take more time to get to midtown from JFK but from LGA to either terminals, about the same, with traffic - and easier on most Fall weekends. 

If Manhattan is confirmed, then, I wouldn't rule out flying into EWR either - ships sailing out of Brooklyn are seldom faced with delays (like docking at Cape Liberty, I believe) on embarkation/disembarkation days due to swift currents & tides on the Hudson River, sometimes ... just FYI, if you are planning a return homebound flight. 

Caribbean Princess is scheduled to leave from Brooklyn.

If you fly into EWR, staying overnight at one of the many more reasonably priced hotels and booking a car service to the Brooklyn Cruiseport is also an option.  Dial 7 and Carmellimo would likely take you across Staten Island and the Verrazano Bridge to the Brooklyn Cruiseport. No real need to stay in Manhattan unless you have the time to enjoy it.

LGA is quickest airport to get to cruise port. You will have to pay more for ride from JFK or EWR.  Newark airport means you have to go thru the tunnel which will cost extra and one tunnel is under construction  

8 hours ago, AF-1 said:

LGA is quickest airport to get to cruise port. You will have to pay more for ride from JFK or EWR.  Newark airport means you have to go thru the tunnel which will cost extra and one tunnel is under construction  

Folks have reported that most car services use the Goethals Bridge to Staten Island to the Verrazano Bridge to Brooklyn,  which is one toll. The second choice would be the Holland Tunnel (toll) and the Hugh Carey Tunnel to Brooklyn (toll).

• 2 weeks later...

Now looking at going in and staying with family a few nights prior to cruise.  So I am looking at car service / limo options to take me from family home to Brooklyn terminal day of.  Yes it is a Monday so we will leave early that day.

I will be contacting several companies to see what they charge and will of course check their ratings and reviews.