New Princess cruiser has questions

SnorkelBoy

Thanks in advance for your replies.

my wife and I have been on 8 cruises but this is the first time on Princess.  We are celebrating our anniversary in May so the options on Princess were limited at this time.  We are on the Caribbean Princess on the Caribe next a few cabins from the aft.  We love the aft and there is one balcony cabin on deck 8.  I didn't choose is because it is over the Club Fusion. Does the club really go late on Princess?

other general questions I have that I have not been able to find answers in FAQs are:

When does my cruise that I just competed all the registration info for both my cruise and my acct get linked?

I see a sauna, steam room and thermal spa.  are the sauna and steam room free and what does the thermal spa have?

How do send an email to have water and an extension cord for my CPAP?

What is on Princess Cay other than the beach?  is the snorkeling good there?  i definitely plan on St Thomas/St. John for snorkeling.

what types of venues have musicians and do they play rock lite rock? and dancing other than the club?

It may have been a different ship but saw advice about going to the back of the buffett for better selections.  is there a gluten free section? 

I guess that's it thanks

Dave

4 RCCL Radiance, Navigator, Adventure & Enchantment

2 MSC Divina and Seaside

1 Celebrity

1 Holland America

For the CPAP issue, you enter the distilled water under "dietary requests" in the personalizer and tour cabin attendant will bring. There is no way to pre-order the cord. Most folks ask when they meet the attendant on Day 1. We bring our own plug converters so that we can use the european plugs near the beds. Do a search on this board for CPAP and you'll see pix of the adapters which you can buy for $5.00 on Amazon

<https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SY5O5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&amp;psc=1>

I was going to send you a link to the CPAP discussion but I can't get a search on the board right now. The above link if for the converter plug

Edited by Clampram

Club Fusion is not the late night dance club - that would be Skywalkers. Club Fusion is usually done and empty by 11 or so. Every once in a while there's a late night comedian show, but that's not loud or punding music.  Personally, wouldn't hesitate to book a cabin over CF.

Princess Cays has some snorkeling, head to either the for right or left to get away from the more crowds of people.

Live music generally in the atrium, Wheelhouse Bar, Club Fusion, Crooners (piano).  Sometimes in Explorer's. Skywalkers is the disco/later night dance club 

Enjoy.

Thermal suite has eucoliptus sauna,  regular sauna,  warm tile beds, soft lighting, showers is coed price for a seven night might be around $200 bucks for two.....it's dark down there no windows.  The locker room amenities are free.  Carbe balconies are larger than the other decks,  we like that deck for this reason.  

Go ahead and book the cabin. You'll love it. As for the buffet suggestion you are on the correct ship. Breakfast options are better at the back of the buffet. Go past the "regular" part to the Planks/Steamers section aft. These are venues where breakfast and lunch are free. Dinner has a $12 charge. At breakfast this is the area where you can get cooked-to-order eggs and made-to-order omelets. The main section of the buffet has pre-cooked eggs. Bleh.  At lunch time there are different selections in these areas. Be sure to check them out. Many don't seem to know they can continue on past the "main" buffet area so it was always easy to get seating back there and we enjoyed the better egg selections, etc. We also enjoyed lunch back there as well.

We didn't try Planks or Steamers for dinner but will next time we are on CB. My wife will order from Steamers and I will order from Planks. They are pretty much melded together and you can order from either venue.

I have seen items listed as "gluten free" in the buffet but the only ones I really noticed were desserts. I'm sure there must be other items as well.

Edited by Thrak

39 minutes ago, Clampram said:

For the CPAP issue, you enter the distilled water under "dietary requests" in the personalizer and tour cabin attendant will bring. There is no way to pre-order the cord. Most folks ask when they meet the attendant on Day 1. We bring our own plug converters so that we can use the european plugs near the beds. Do a search on this board for CPAP and you'll see pix of the adapters which you can buy for $5.00 on Amazon

<https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SY5O5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&amp;psc=1>

I was going to send you a link to the CPAP discussion but I can't get a search on the board right now. The above link if for the converter plug

I did see that for dietary requests so I will use that.  Thanks

2 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Go ahead and book the cabin. You'll love it. As for the buffet suggestion you are on the correct ship. Breakfast options are better at the back of the buffet. Go past the "regular" part to the Planks/Steamers section aft. These are venues where breakfast and lunch are free. Dinner has a $12 charge. At breakfast this is the area where you can get cooked-to-order eggs and made-to-order omelets. The main section of the buffet has pre-cooked eggs. Bleh.  At lunch time there are different selections in these areas. Be sure to check them out. Many don't seem to know they can continue on past the "main" buffet area so it was always easy to get seating back there and we enjoyed the better egg selections, etc. We also enjoyed lunch back there as well.

We didn't try Planks or Steamers for dinner but will next time we are on CB. My wife will order from Steamers and I will order from Planks. They are pretty much melded together and you can order from either venue.

thanks I'm pretty sure I saw your original post.  Thanks

Dave

they also have 24 hour Int'l Café Deck 5 with free food plus coffee/tea bar for a fee.  Try Crown Grill for a special night out $29/pp

Be sure wear water shoes into water-lots rocks on Princess cays

Club Fusion and Wheelhouse have nightly music along with explorers club at times.  They also have dance lessons during the week-rumba-cha cha-etc

23 minutes ago, Qcruise said:

Thermal suite has eucoliptus sauna,  regular sauna,  warm tile beds, soft lighting, showers is coed price for a seven night might be around $200 bucks for two.....it's dark down there no windows.  The locker room amenities are free.  Carbe balconies are larger than the other decks,  we like that deck for this reason.  

Thats not too bad for the thermal.  We'll try the locker first and see if it fits the bill.

Dave

38 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

Club Fusion is not the late night dance club - that would be Skywalkers. Club Fusion is usually done and empty by 11 or so. Every once in a while there's a late night comedian show, but that's not loud or punding music.  Personally, wouldn't hesitate to book a cabin over CF.

Princess Cays has some snorkeling, head to either the for right or left to get away from the more crowds of people.

Live music generally in the atrium, Wheelhouse Bar, Club Fusion, Crooners (piano).  Sometimes in Explorer's. Skywalkers is the disco/later night dance club 

Enjoy.

59 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

We were in E730 on Caribbean and only one night did we have thumping bass, but it stopped by 11pm.  EM

That's not too bad.  I am going to try to change cabins.  One night in St. Augustine we stay at a motel where the bar in back went til 2am and the sound came in through the ac vent, it sounded like the band was in the room.

Dave

1 hour ago, SnorkelBoy said:

. . .

I see a sauna, steam room and thermal spa.  are the sauna and steam room free and what does the thermal spa have?

. . .

I'm an avid user of the Thermal Spa, but it does cost some money (can't remember how much).  It has warm tiled "beds" and various kinds of steam rooms.  There are also different kinds of showers (different shower heads).  I believe one can buy a day pass or a pass for the whole cruise which is what I usually get.  Can be very relaxing after a day onshore or even on a sea day.  The TS is not "down there" as a previous poster stated--it's forward on Deck 16 ("Sun"), nor is it "dark".  I would say the lighting is subdued which is appropriate for a place meant to help a person relax.  You will see people reading while laying on the thermal beds (there's supposed to be a time limit for bed use, but I've never seen it enforced).

Edited by BarbinMich

11 minutes ago, mph045 said:

they also have 24 hour Int'l Café Deck 5 with free food plus coffee/tea bar for a fee.  Try Crown Grill for a special night out $29/pp

Be sure wear water shoes into water-lots rocks on Princess cays

Club Fusion and Wheelhouse have nightly music along with explorers club at times.  They also have dance lessons during the week-rumba-cha cha-etc

Thanks for the advice on the shoes, will put them on the list. 

1 minute ago, BarbinMich said:

I'm an avid user of the Thermal Spa, but it does cost some money (can't remember how much).  It has warm tiled "beds" and various kinds of steam rooms.  There are also different kinds of showers (different shower heads).  I believe one can buy a day pass or a pass for the whole cruise which is what I usually get.  Can be very relaxing after a day onshore or even on a sea day.

We had the thermal spa included on the MSC seaside and went everyday, we'll give it a look on boarding day.

2 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

I'm an avid user of the Thermal Spa, but it does cost some money (can't remember how much).  It has warm tiled "beds" and various kinds of steam rooms.  There are also different kinds of showers (different shower heads).  I believe one can buy a day pass or a pass for the whole cruise which is what I usually get.  Can be very relaxing after a day onshore or even on a sea day.

We had the thermal spa included on the MSC seaside and went everyday, we'll give it a look on boarding day.

I have one more question about the promenade deck.  I know you go up one level at the front; the aft looks very narrow is the aft accessible?

Dave

2 minutes ago, SnorkelBoy said:

I have one more question about the promenade deck.  I know you go up one level at the front; the aft looks very narrow is the aft accessible?

Dave

Definitely!  On the CB the promenade deck is a true wraparound--as you've noticed you do have to go up near the front and then back down if you're doing the whole circuit.

You will see some gluten free foods in the buffet. However, you may have a better selection in the main dining room. Go ahead and list gluten free in the same dietary section on the Cruise Personalizer that you are using to request the distilled water for the CPAP. However the more important thing is to speak to the head waiter in the main dining room on the first night. Always speak to the head waiter - not the waiter - about dietary restrictions.

The head waiter will take your order each evening for the next evening - and for lunch the next day if it's a sea day. He will know which items are gluten free and which items are not. By taking the order one day ahead, he will also be able to modify some items that are normally not gluten free to make them so, possibly by changing a sauce or changing an ingredient.

If you have fixed traditional dining, then your waiter will know that you have ordered from the head waiter the day before. If you have anytime dining, then I recommend you always use the same dining room - so that you can speak with the same head waiter. It will not matter that you change waiters; just tell the waiter each evening that you had preordered the meal from the head waiter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SnorkelBoy said:

my wife and I have been on 8 cruises but this is the first time on Princess.  We are celebrating our anniversary in May so the options on Princess were limited at this time.  We are on the Caribbean Princess on the Caribe next a few cabins from the aft.  We love the aft and there is one balcony cabin on deck 8.  I didn't choose is because it is over the Club Fusion. Does the club really go late on Princess?

other general questions I have that I have not been able to find answers in FAQs are:

When does my cruise that I just competed all the registration info for both my cruise and my acct get linked?

How do send an email to have water and an extension cord for my CPAP?

What is on Princess Cay other than the beach?  is the snorkeling good there?  i definitely plan on St Thomas/St. John for snorkeling.

what types of venues have musicians and do they play rock lite rock? and dancing other than the club?

It may have been a different ship but saw advice about going to the back of the buffett for better selections.  is there a gluten free section? 

I guess that's it thanks

Dave

4 RCCL Radiance, Navigator, Adventure & Enchantment

2 MSC Divina and Seaside

1 Celebrity

1 Holland America

Hi Dave..

Re your questions about Princess Cays. Judging from your "call sign", I'll assume you're an experienced snorkeler. (I'm a life long snorkeler and got my first SCUBA certs back in the mid-70s. I've dove St Thomas and snorkeled both St T and St John). As snorkeling destinations go, PC ain't Coz or the Caymans, and is a bit less than the USVIs. Water clarity is iffy by "purist" standards, but you'll probably see the basic wildlife (fish anyway: never seen any inverts to speak of) and not much really good reef. As others have said, when you get off the tender, turn left and keep walking past the BBQ/Cafeteria and head towards the last beach promontory/lifeguard station, the one with the red roof. I've found the "best" water and snorkelling at PC to be under that building and to the north of that area, which was the closest thing to a "reef" I've ever found at PC.

PC is at the extreme southern end of Eleuthera. Head to Google Maps and check out the satellite imagery, and you'll easily see the red roof hut I'm referring to near the northern extremity of the site.

Have a GREAT cruise (and dive ;o)

40 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

You will see some gluten free foods in the buffet. However, you may have a better selection in the main dining room. Go ahead and list gluten free in the same dietary section on the Cruise Personalizer that you are using to request the distilled water for the CPAP. However the more important thing is to speak to the head waiter in the main dining room on the first night. Always speak to the head waiter - not the waiter - about dietary restrictions.

The head waiter will take your order each evening for the next evening - and for lunch the next day if it's a sea day. He will know which items are gluten free and which items are not. By taking the order one day ahead, he will also be able to modify some items that are normally not gluten free to make them so, possibly by changing a sauce or changing an ingredient.

If you have fixed traditional dining, then your waiter will know that you have ordered from the head waiter the day before. If you have anytime dining, then I recommend you always use the same dining room - so that you can speak with the same head waiter. It will not matter that you change waiters; just tell the waiter each evening that you had preordered the meal from the head waiter.

Thanks Navy Vet.  This is similar to other lines where the head waiter takes our order.  We are doing anytime dining as the 5pm early is just too early. On other lines with anytime dining we have always been assigned to a dining room. We would plan on using the same one for the reasons you've listed.  If we are not assigned to a dining room is there a recommended one?

Dave

1 hour ago, BarbinMich said:

Definitely!  On the CB the promenade deck is a true wraparound--as you've noticed you do have to go up near the front and then back down if you're doing the whole circuit.

yea!!!

45 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Hi Dave..

Re your questions about Princess Cays. Judging from your "call sign", I'll assume you're an experienced snorkeler. (I'm a life long snorkeler and got my first SCUBA certs back in the mid-70s. I've dove St Thomas and snorkeled both St T and St John). As snorkeling destinations go, PC ain't Coz or the Caymans, and is a bit less than the USVIs. Water clarity is iffy by "purist" standards, but you'll probably see the basic wildlife (fish anyway: never seen any inverts to speak of) and not much really good reef. As others have said, when you get off the tender, turn left and keep walking past the BBQ/Cafeteria and head towards the last beach promontory/lifeguard station, the one with the red roof. I've found the "best" water and snorkelling at PC to be under that building and to the north of that area, which was the closest thing to a "reef" I've ever found at PC.

PC is at the extreme southern end of Eleuthera. Head to Google Maps and check out the satellite imagery, and you'll easily see the red roof hut I'm referring to near the northern extremity of the site.

Have a GREAT cruise (and dive ;o)

Thanks, great information.  I'll probably haul my gear and check it out.  I see on goggle earth where you are refering to.

Dave

Hi Dave,  I just returned from Caribbean Princess three weeks ago.  I can give you a few tips.

1. The Ocean Medallion Program is working pretty well; so download the app and fill it out and they will mail you the medallion

2. Medallion Net the new wifi is blazing fast

3. There are gluten free items in buffet; suggest you speak with your waiters on first night in your dining room.  They will try and accomadate you

4. Deck 7 is wrap around; you will walk up a flight of stairs in the front of ship on both sides; here is a pic of deck 7

image.thumb.png.0bc7f91594064e7d8e8fbcfe93f6d36f.png

4. We were in aft cabin on Caribe deck. This is from our balcony

image.thumb.png.943fc4500951f2b27ab273d1d9612fca.png

If you have any questions just ask.  The ship is in great shape; you will be on it after the drydock; Our ports of call were

Cayman Islands, Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel

Thanks Navy Vet.  This is similar to other lines where the head waiter takes our order.  We are doing anytime dining as the 5pm early is just too early. On other lines with anytime dining we have always been assigned to a dining room. We would plan on using the same one for the reasons you've listed.  If we are not assigned to a dining room is there a recommended one?

Dave

If you have anytime dining on Princess, then you are not assigned to a specific dining room. The Caribbean Princess has three main dining rooms. The one on Deck 6 Aft is only for early and late traditional dining, so you won't be eating there. The one on Deck 6 Midship has early traditional seating (as well as Club Class) and then opens for anytime after the early seating is over. The one on Deck 5 Midship is anytime dining all evening.

If you want to eat before around 7:30 pm, then the one on Deck 5 is your only choice. If you eat after that, I don't think it matters much which one - it depends on the staff and the staff has changed since the last time I sailed on her. If you will eat early on some nights, then I would recommend always eating on Deck 5 (even on nights you are eating later) to stay with the same head waiter.

Edited by NavyVeteran

16 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Hi Dave,  I just returned from Caribbean Princess three weeks ago.  I can give you a few tips.

1. The Ocean Medallion Program is working pretty well; so download the app and fill it out and they will mail you the medallion

2. Medallion Net the new wifi is blazing fast

3. There are gluten free items in buffet; suggest you speak with your waiters on first night in your dining room.  They will try and accomadate you

4. Deck 7 is wrap around; you will walk up a flight of stairs in the front of ship on both sides; here is a pic of deck 7

image.thumb.png.0bc7f91594064e7d8e8fbcfe93f6d36f.png

4. We were in aft cabin on Caribe deck. This is from our balcony

image.thumb.png.943fc4500951f2b27ab273d1d9612fca.png

If you have any questions just ask.  The ship is in great shape; you will be on it after the drydock; Our ports of call were

Cayman Islands, Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel

Thanks for pics.  I didn't know I needed to pre order medallion but ahve done so now. 

Thanks for pics.  I didn't know I needed to pre order medallion but ahve done so now. 

We were on CB in January and really liked the ship!

You don't have to pre order the medallion if won't want to.  They'll give you one when you board the ship.  

Enoy your cruise!  :classic_cool: