NCL agent challenges my cruise cancellation (s)

I have cancelled some NCL cruises in the past 3 years ( maybe 8 of them). I'm sure many people have done it, no big deal. So when I called NCL last night to inquire about cabins on April sailings the female agent says "I see you have made alot of cancellations, do you have anything to say for yourself".   What?! Did I just hear this lady right?! So I said "No". Then she went on to provide me with the answers to my questions. I thought No was the rudest thing I could say to her, so I left it at that. Anyone else encounter the interrogator agent?  Pippi

Sorry...nothing to do with the question.  But..wow, eight in three years.  That averages about 3 a year you've had to cancel.  Just out of curiosity, how many did you get to keep and go on?   Your personal schedule must be worse than mine.   I've cruised 22 times but had to cancel 3 others  and hated that.   

I was questioned once when I had to cancel two Alaska cruises. But it wasn't when I was trying to make another reservation. I actually had someone call me up and ask me when I would be ready to cruise as I had cancelled twice. I just told them the truth....both times either myself or a family member became ill and that I would call to reschedule. I have taken numerous cruises with them since that call but truth be told I was a little taken aback.

I assume, the agent figured that, since you had canceled eight cruises in the past three years, there might have been some sort of problem that led to you repeatedly cancelling booked cruises.  I can understand her asking about it, even if it sounds like she didn't do it the most diplomatically.

1 hour ago, victory2020 said:

Sounds like she was just trying to be funny. I've said things like that to customers sometimes.

That would be thought too...but I’m not easily triggered. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Longstockingpippi1 said:

Well maybe she thought I was going to beg forgiveness, so I just said "No" curtly and moved on with the phone call. And Roger001 yeah it's been tough, but since I retired in Oct. hopefully my track record will improve....LOL!

How many cruises have you taken in the same  time frame-   3 years?     I too don't think anything was malicious with the comment.   Just looking for a reason- that could be perhaps be avoided?    

No, she really wasn't trying to be funny. I have only taken a few cruises in the past few years, I long to take more. But I have a severely disabled daughter who spent 4 1/2 months in the hospital last year on three separate hospital visits. 1. flu 2. open heart surgery and 3 eye surgery. I could travel without her but would be terrified if her health would turn while I wasn't home when she needed me. She is almost 34 yrs old and this has been our life since she was born.  God willing she will have a better year this year. The agent could do nothing to help me with this problem so why mention it to her. I don't owe her any explanation. Pippi

• Like 4

Hey.  Here is my history:

1.  Times I have cancelled with NCL:  0

2.  Times NCL cancelled my cruise:  2

Hopefully OP was 100% refundable.   Life is complicated.  I would have just laughed.  Sweetly, of course.  

My guess is she felt like she was wasting her time because she figured OP would just cancel again, or maybe she had spent time in the past with someone who then cancelled - there goes her commission!

OP, the “because I can” sums it up. You have every right to cancel and get whatever refund you are entitled to.  If NCL has that much of an issue with it, they’ll discourage it by doing non-refundable deposits, but with a $50 deposit, it sure is easy to hold a cruise....

• Like 2

I had cancelled a hotel reservation a few weeks in advance.  The agent had the nerve (and I say nerve) to ask me why.  I told him the reason “someone else is going to this conference rather than me” and then said “but I don’t see how it is any of your business”.  I think “what business is it of yours?” Is probably a good answer.