Cost of Celebrity cruises

poinsettiaplate

7 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

Our next two are on HAL just can’t justify Celebrity’s prices. Love Celebrity and we’re not cheap vacationers, but the value does not equal the asking price. 

Be careful. Hal is owned  by Carnival, along with Princess. They might not be able to sail into US ports because of the violations. They had incidents of environmental pollution in Alaska going back 7 years! The article is on the internet today. Bayonne is our port. They get the high prices for Celebrity because they know people are driving to the port , so don't pay for airfare. Also, all of their ships are being refurbished. The Florida ports are where the residents get the good deals, but we don't in the Metro area. I like Celebrity Summit because it isn't overwhelming like the ones we have taken out of NYC. I was afraid Hal would be a much older crowd. Even though we are seniors, I prefer ships with young people and love to experience the cruise through the eyes of the children. We have friends going on Hal in September, so will see if they like it. 

15 minutes ago, Chiefdog said:

Be careful. Hal is owned  by Carnival, along with Princess. They might not be able to sail into US ports because of the violations. They had incidents of environmental pollution in Alaska going back 7 years! The article is on the internet today. Bayonne is our port. They get the high prices for Celebrity because they know people are driving to the port , so don't pay for airfare. Also, all of their ships are being refurbished. The Florida ports are where the residents get the good deals, but we don't in the Metro area. I like Celebrity Summit because it isn't overwhelming like the ones we have taken out of NYC. I was afraid Hal would be a much older crowd. Even though we are seniors, I prefer ships with young people and love to experience the cruise through the eyes of the children. We have friends going on Hal in September, so will see if they like it. 

I’ve been following the news on that. I don’t think anything will come of it plus my cruises aren’t until 2021 and are Australian based. And I think RCL are as guilty as Carnival hence them being banned from Glacier Bay which has only just been rescinded. Don’t be fooled, they all do it. 

Edited by Cruise Junky

2 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

Our next two are on HAL just can’t justify Celebrity’s prices. Love Celebrity and we’re not cheap vacationers, but the value does not equal the asking price. 

Our next two are on HAL as well.  I honestly believe it is at least a slightly better product, with a significantly better direction as far as music entertainment, and destinations experience.  Given that we prefer reposition cruises, I can actually still get perks on HAL, plus shareholder credit.  For the first time, suites are affordable (even only if for 50% more space and double loyalty points).

We're also eyeballing Azamara, Windstar, and Oceania.  Given these crazy X prices, I would rather chase a deal from the next market up.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

Over recent years we have enjoyed two cruises a year. One to the Caribbean or Worldwide and one in the Mediterranean.

Our Mediterranean cruises until this year have always cost more per night but not ridiculously so....This summer, however, we have the choice in the Mediterranean of two tired M class ships and the ridiculously priced Edge...

We usually book a RS but don’t like the Edge one so priced up a 10 night cruise in an EV....It was the price of a new family car, so we bought the new family car and will spend the summer touring our beautiful country!!!

We already have a Caribbean cruise booked for this year and an Asian one booked for next year on Celebrity and feel the prices are fair if not cheap...We have been looking at the Mediterranean for next May/June but are again finding we are reluctant to pay the prices....So many other ways to enjoy the Mediterranean including city breaks, luxury villas, beach holidays, train tours....We did consider other lines (and are following comparative reviews) but may just simply cruise less often and extend our holiday types...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chemmo said:

Over recent years we have enjoyed two cruises a year. One to the Caribbean or Worldwide and one in the Mediterranean.

Our Mediterranean cruises until this year have always cost more per night but not ridiculously so....This summer, however, we have the choice in the Mediterranean of two tired M class ships and the ridiculously priced Edge...

We usually book a RS but don’t like the Edge one so priced up a 10 night cruise in an EV....It was the price of a new family car, so we bought the new family car and will spend the summer touring our beautiful country!!!

We already have a Caribbean cruise booked for this year and an Asian one booked for next year on Celebrity and feel the prices are fair if not cheap...We have been looking at the Mediterranean for next May/June but are again finding we are reluctant to pay the prices....So many other ways to enjoy the Mediterranean including city breaks, luxury villas, beach holidays, train tours....We did consider other lines (and are following comparative reviews) but may just simply cruise less often and extend our holiday types...

I've noticed that Edge Caribbean pricing is comparable to true 6* lines. In some instances I've seen 7 day Seabourn cruises (entry class balcony suite) priced lower than Aquaclass and with more interesting itineraries for those prepared to set sail from Barbados. 

Which other lines are you looking at? 

1 minute ago, Mynki said:

I've noticed that Edge Caribbean pricing is comparable to true 6* lines. In some instances I've seen 7 day Seabourn cruises (entry class balcony suite) priced lower than Aquaclass and with more interesting itineraries for those prepared to set sail from Barbados. 

Which other lines are you looking at? 

Non really seriously....We do love having a big ship to explore but then the luxury of returning to our suite and the concierge lounge. We really don’t fancy the small ships or Cunard.

We did look at MSC as offering an alternative ship within a ship scenario but were totally put off after Eclipse was moored near Seaside? in Malta...What an ugly ship and what a racket! RC, been seen and done!

Celebrity S class in a suite really suits us....Our only complaint is the price and no S class ship in the Mediterranean! I honestly can see us just booking one cruise with Celebrity a year outside Europe and enjoying the Mediterranean in other ways...

6 hours ago, Chiefdog said:

Why as a senior do you not get perks? I looked at resident rate and they only lower the price by $40 per person. If the cruise I am looking at doesn't give a decent discount, I will do a land vacation this year. Over 500 of their cabins were unfilled as of the end of March and the price isn't budging for a May cruise. 

The senior or resident rates are refundable. Compared to a refundable regular rate they seem to be $300-$400 less.

But yes,  compared to a non ref- rate are not  not much less. I think it will take them some time to figure this all out.

Their new pricing scheme is a perfect example of "READY- FIRE-AIM".

On 3/8/2019 at 3:30 AM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Why would you expect a Chevy and a Buick to cost the same?  [Actually, it was when GM started making that happen that they went in the bumper.]  Celebrity should always cost more than Royal, and less than Azamara.  That's the way to protect your brand identities.

In theory but it doesn't always work like that in reality. Particularly with Edge pricing. 

On 3/7/2019 at 7:12 PM, bigbeergut said:

Is the weather on the pool deck the same?

I've been on the Serenade a couple of times.  In the mid 2000's it was great but 2 years ago - it was not even remotely the same quality as Celebrity.  

Its sooo variable. I looked at a verandah on Edge just Wednesday morning and it was $1900. I tried to put it on courtesy hold real quick but couldn’t. At lunchtime when i had time to book it the price had DOUBLED to $3900. Yikes!

On 3/7/2019 at 10:27 PM, Denny01 said:

If you want to rely on one cost comparison, go for it. But I suggest you look at the actual cruise line website, or check with a good TA. Even though the price listed above are avail for an Oceanview and that same website show a nice low price for a balcony, when you go to the RCL website, there are no balconies available. 

I’d be very cautious of websites showing such ‘great deals’, even ones that look OK. I’ve tried to use the website Arno showed and when I got to the place to pay for the price shown, it stated ‘this deal is no longer available’. It doesn’t seem to stay up on actual costs too well, as is happening on that website right now, it shows great prices for a balcony on the RCL ship, but no baloncies are really available. 

Buyer beware.

Den

I've used that web site for years and years and have only once or twice been told that a deal was no longer available - no biggie.  It's been my experience they have the lowest prices and occasionally they throw in a few perks.

Just because the cruise line website doesn't show cabins available doesn't mean that the TA hasn't booked a block of cabins that still are.

• Like 3

On 3/8/2019 at 3:27 AM, Denny01 said:

If you want to rely on one cost comparison, go for it. But I suggest you look at the actual cruise line website, or check with a good TA. Even though the price listed above are avail for an Oceanview and that same website show a nice low price for a balcony, when you go to the RCL website, there are no balconies available. 

I’d be very cautious of websites showing such ‘great deals’, even ones that look OK. I’ve tried to use the website Arno showed and when I got to the place to pay for the price shown, it stated ‘this deal is no longer available’. It doesn’t seem to stay up on actual costs too well, as is happening on that website right now, it shows great prices for a balcony on the RCL ship, but no baloncies are really available. 

Buyer beware.

Den

I think this is poor advice Denny. I've used that TA many times now. Only once has an advertised price been unavailable but that was after final payment date when there was only only two sky suites showing as available on the UK Celebrity site so I just assumed they were snapped up before the TA updated their pricing. 

Every other time we've got the deal advertised. The only thing to bear in mind is for UK customers to understand that taxes and port fees are not included like they are in UK TA advertised prices. 

9 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Our next two are on HAL as well.  I honestly believe it is at least a slightly better product, with a significantly better direction as far as music entertainment, and destinations experience.  Given that we prefer reposition cruises, I can actually still get perks on HAL, plus shareholder credit.  For the first time, suites are affordable (even only if for 50% more space and double loyalty points).

We're also eyeballing Azamara, Windstar, and Oceania.  Given these crazy X prices, I would rather chase a deal from the next market up.

And it’s not just cost, I’d never base anything just on cost. HAL’s itineraries are far better for the areas we were focused on. More ports and longer cruises. Wine policy is better seeing as we’re cruising New Zealand. You can take on as much as you like. It all added up.

5 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

And it’s not just cost, I’d never base anything just on cost. HAL’s itineraries are far better for the areas we were focused on. More ports and longer cruises. Wine policy is better seeing as we’re cruising New Zealand. You can take on as much as you like. It all added up.

Couldn't agree more.  Our intended Transpacific on the Millennium this year, after weeks in limbo (for charter arrangements), got botched.  An already unimpressive itinerary, lost a port.  There's just no comparison to what Holland America, Azamara, and and often times Princess, offer to/from Japan.  

We were actually fairly apprehensive about trying HAL, thought our Alaska Yukon Cruise-Tour may be a "one and done", only to be pleasantly surprised.  Great to hear about their wine policy!

On 4/13/2019 at 9:51 AM, chemmo said:

Non really seriously....We do love having a big ship to explore but then the luxury of returning to our suite and the concierge lounge. We really don’t fancy the small ships or Cunard.

We did look at MSC as offering an alternative ship within a ship scenario but were totally put off after Eclipse was moored near Seaside? in Malta...What an ugly ship and what a racket! RC, been seen and done!

Celebrity S class in a suite really suits us....Our only complaint is the price and no S class ship in the Mediterranean! I honestly can see us just booking one cruise with Celebrity a year outside Europe and enjoying the Mediterranean in other ways...

I like big ships to explore too. That said to completely contradict myself we decided to  try AZ later in the year. I'm not entirely sure what I'll make of the smaller ship, smaller cabin and what appears to be a pokey little bathroom. But if you don't try, you'll never know as they say. 

To further contradict myself I'm finding the new Ponant expedition ships interesting. They're obviously a completely different experience to Celebrity but I think I need to try them also to see how they fit. Several people have told me that Princess is the closest fit to Celebrity (From peoples opinions I'm given the impression that X just has it quality wise) but I've never really looked at them. Maybe I should, We'll continue to sail with X but I don't think I'll ever make Zenith unless AZ is exceptional. :) 

This thread has shown posts with many cruise price comparisons for the Caribbean, which we never do.  We travel to visit historical or scenic places and frequently wish to do a TA along with a land trip in Europe.  Celebrity's prices have really disappointed us.  We were just on Eclipse and for the first time in a long time failed to book a cruise, due to the high prices.

Also, I was researching prices on Princess, which we have never done.  Its prices were also very high compared to the past.  Royal seems to still offer fair prices.   Royal in my opinion has far better entertainment (we do the medium size ships, not the mega ships), but the dining and service is not quite on par with Celebrity. Still, we did like Royal and may go more with them.  Also, friends have done MSC and recommend them, especially with their low prices.  Still, looking there.

21 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

This thread has shown posts with many cruise price comparisons for the Caribbean, which we never do.  We travel to visit historical or scenic places and frequently wish to do a TA along with a land trip in Europe.  Celebrity's prices have really disappointed us.  We were just on Eclipse and for the first time in a long time failed to book a cruise, due to the high prices.

Also, I was researching prices on Princess, which we have never done.  Its prices were also very high compared to the past.  Royal seems to still offer fair prices.   Royal in my opinion has far better entertainment (we do the medium size ships, not the mega ships), but the dining and service is not quite on par with Celebrity. Still, we did like Royal and may go more with them.  Also, friends have done MSC and recommend them, especially with their low prices.  Still, looking there.

Would HAL be a good fit for you? They have great itineraries and their pricing seems very low compared to X. 

On 4/13/2019 at 9:14 AM, Mynki said:

I think this is poor advice Denny. I've used that TA many times now. Only once has an advertised price been unavailable but that was after final payment date when there was only only two sky suites showing as available on the UK Celebrity site so I just assumed they were snapped up before the TA updated their pricing. 

Every other time we've got the deal advertised. The only thing to bear in mind is for UK customers to understand that taxes and port fees are not included like they are in UK TA advertised prices. 

To each our own. My ‘advice’ is not poor, just differs from your experience and what you choose to use. And my experience is I got the ‘no longer available’ more than once and I quit using it. Glad it meets your needs. 

Den

9 hours ago, Mynki said:

Would HAL be a good fit for you? They have great itineraries and their pricing seems very low compared to X. 

We book early and generally find that HAL prices don't become more reasonable until close to the cruise.

We avoided HAL in the past because of its terrible smoking policy.  That policy has changed, but we just haven't found a HAL cruise yet that fits.

13 hours ago, Mynki said:

I like big ships to explore too. That said to completely contradict myself we decided to  try AZ later in the year. I'm not entirely sure what I'll make of the smaller ship, smaller cabin and what appears to be a pokey little bathroom. But if you don't try, you'll never know as they say. 

To further contradict myself I'm finding the new Ponant expedition ships interesting. They're obviously a completely different experience to Celebrity but I think I need to try them also to see how they fit. Several people have told me that Princess is the closest fit to Celebrity (From peoples opinions I'm given the impression that X just has it quality wise) but I've never really looked at them. Maybe I should, We'll continue to sail with X but I don't think I'll ever make Zenith unless AZ is exceptional. 🙂

I look forward to your review on AZ....We have also looked at Ponant, Crystal and Princess....Each offered some bits we fancied but not the ‘full package’ we are looking for. 

If Celebrity prices continue to be so high in the Mediterranean we probably will give several other cruise lines  a try. We have always booked our X cruises well in advance but we may look for a few ‘deals’ and see how we find other experiences....

14 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

We book early and generally find that HAL prices don't become more reasonable until close to the cruise.

We avoided HAL in the past because of its terrible smoking policy.  That policy has changed, but we just haven't found a HAL cruise yet that fits.

I mentioned them as I'd been looking at early 2020 cruises just before I read your message. They have some interesting itineraries and the prices seemed very reasonable. :)

On 3/8/2019 at 3:14 PM, Stateroom_Sailor said:

I can see suites going up in price, with the addition of the retreat, but what are you getting in an OV, that's worth $700 more per day?

Then again, in areas with hight traffic of first time cruisers, prices are still low.  The Millennium in 2014, end of Alaska shoulder season, was $650 for an inside, $1,000 OV, $1,800 veranda.  In 2020, the price hasn't gone up one penny.

Yes, what exactly are they giving you as a perk? If you calculate everything you are paying for those perks. You might come ahead by $100. I recall sailing to Bermuda when they gave you the perks, didn’t charge a penny, to get you to sail. We used the OBC to buy a spa membership and use towards some of the drinks. If you are not a big drinker, you are better off just paying for each drink. Things sure have changed! 

I've cruised primarily Celebrity for the last 6 years but in the last year or two the prices are making me look elsewhere.  I have 2 more cruises booked for this year and one next year and none are on Celebrity.

TOO_HIGH.jpg

• Haha 1

On 3/7/2019 at 7:05 PM, Arno. said:

This is one example.  The Celebrity ship is newer, includes several "free" perks but both get you into the warmth of the Caribbean.

664686385_ReflectionvsRoyalpricejan2020.png.01a101092df3b418a8ac8f4f95383da4.png

I think comparing X to RCI is not apples to apples. Different categories.

I noticed that other companies increased prices as well. We are looking at Mediterranean cruise for Sep-Oct 2020, 10-14 nights. Some examples:

Celebrity: 11 nights on the Edge are around $3,200-3,400 $3,388 CAD, 10 nights $3,119, 12 nights on Apex $3,400.

Princess: 14 nights on Enchanted (new ship) are around $3,800-3900 CAD

HAL:10 nights on NIEUW STATENDAM (also new ship) are $2,400 CAD.

So Princess seems to have comparable prices, HAL is cheaper. I think all three have comparable product.

8 hours ago, ak1004 said:

I think comparing X to RCI is not apples to apples. Different categories.

I noticed that other companies increased prices as well. We are looking at Mediterranean cruise for Sep-Oct 2020, 10-14 nights. Some examples:

Celebrity: 11 nights on the Edge are around $3,200-3,400 $3,388 CAD, 10 nights $3,119, 12 nights on Apex $3,400.

Princess: 14 nights on Enchanted (new ship) are around $3,800-3900 CAD

HAL:10 nights on NIEUW STATENDAM (also new ship) are $2,400 CAD.

So Princess seems to have comparable prices, HAL is cheaper. I think all three have comparable product.

Are you considering an OV as the balcony prices are showing higher on Edge than you quoted above for a Sept sailing? Prices have dropped, but I believe the difference is due to the lowest non-refundable rate being quoted in every instance with no perks. The iconic suite is a steal at $45,000 pp 🙄.

F2D15E8D-10ED-4D4F-8787-F5784BA71CED.jpeg