Stay Tuned - Extra Fee for Second Entree

Ereggae

So Holland America is experimenting with this idea.  If it works you can be sure it will trickle down.  Norwegian was the first to start Freestyle Cruising then adding Specialty Restaurants.  Didn't take long for the "Monkey See Monkey Do" effect to take hold on other cruise lines.  Gone are the good old days of cruising.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/3803/

If any cruise line wants to reduce on "wasted food" cost should start in the buffet

I predict that charging for a second lobster tail or a surf and turf on gala night will meet with some almost violent responses.     

Sounds like a "rush to the bottom"....similar to American (and other) airlines reducing the size and comfort of economy seating to "inspire" folks to book a higher fare.  Keep serving smaller and less tasty dishes, inspiring cruisers to order that second, perhaps more flavorful (or edible) entree.  There have been times when I've ordered the vegetarian plate in addition to my entree because it was far more interesting..perhaps ethnic to add to my steak or whatever. 

Edited by ghstudio

1 minute ago, ghstudio said:

If any cruise line wants to reduce on "wasted food" cost should start in the buffet

I predict that charging for a second lobster tail or a surf and turf on gala night will meet with some almost violent responses.     

Yes in the gala night I like to do the surf and turf mixing two plates, this sounds ridiculous

If this is successful on HAL you better believe that Celebrity, Royal, NCL and all the rest will be doing the same. I’m actually shocked that NCL didn’t initiate this as they are the king of nickle and diming

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Do people regularly order more than one entree?    I don't blame the lines one bit for looking at this.  

Lot's of people have more than 1 lobster tail.  As the entrees have decreased in size I suspect more people have requested seconds of other items.

I'm not a proponent of waste, but when I go out to eat at most US restaurants, my dinner entree is a lot larger than you get on a cruise ship.  Yes, I know this is why many Americans are fat.  and Yes, I know portions in other countries are generally smaller than in the USA (generalization)

Maybe if cruise lines stop shrinking the entree portion to the size of an appetizer, hungry gluttonous passengers wouldn't order two entrees. 

If someone is really hungry and they don't get enough food, they'll go to the buffet before or after dinner.

Hungry people will find food, one way or another on a cruise ship. 

19 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

I'm not a proponent of waste, but when I go out to eat at most US restaurants, my dinner entree is a lot larger than you get on a cruise ship.  Yes, I know this is why many Americans are fat.  and Yes, I know portions in other countries are generally smaller than in the USA (generalization)

Maybe if cruise lines stop shrinking the entree portion to the size of an appetizer, hungry gluttonous passengers wouldn't order two entrees. 

If someone is really hungry and they don't get enough food, they'll go to the buffet before or after dinner.

Hungry people will find food, one way or another on a cruise ship. 

Actually a small portion with the option of 2 entrees is less wasteful than increasing portion sizes. 

Most guests don’t order 2 entrees and the cruise line only gives additional food to those who want it. They probably throw away a lot less food this way. 

• Like 3

Surf and turf "requires " 2 entree orders  or a lobster tail  order on the side..other than that one dinner seems to be sufficient.  Most of the bulk eating seems to be at the buffet...which we mostly avoid

BLU portions seem just right generally,  and many nights  we  order the main with no starch and dbl veggies...esp when 2 or 3 asparagus constitue a  veggie portion. 

Would not pay extra for another entree...

30 minutes ago, MizDemeanor said:

Was it Celebrity that tested an upcharge for a better cut of steak at one time becasue people were complaining? I am fuzzy on this, it might have been another line...anyone recall?

Im pretty sure Tuscan Grill has an up charge for 2 steaks on the menu, on top of the charge for dining in Tuscan Grill. 

5 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

Im pretty sure Tuscan Grill has an up charge for 2 steaks on the menu, on top of the charge for dining in Tuscan Grill. 

Whay ever line this was it was in the MDR due to quality issues...maybe it was due to the Ranch Steak. However, I have been known to make stuff up, blend multiple things into what ever my mind decides to develop that has to be peeled back like an onion just to get to the facts, or be completely fuzzy on topics. :classic_cool:

Edited by MizDemeanor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I order two entrees many nights if I a not sure what I want.  Sometimes one sounds good but is awful and the 2nd is good so I have that.  What is the difference if you order and don't like something that you can't or won't eat, and then order something else instead?

Also many times we order an extra entree or two for the table so we can all share and try something different. 

Remember HA is owned by Carnival and they are big on cut backs and the Carnivalization of all the different lines they own.

19 minutes ago, CulverCityCruisers said:

I order two entrees many nights if I a not sure what I want.  Sometimes one sounds good but is awful and the 2nd is good so I have that.  What is the difference if you order and don't like something that you can't or won't eat, and then order something else instead?

Let's see....there are always diners who eat nearly all of their entire entree and then say it was awful...that sort of thing is nothing new.

Edited by MizDemeanor

What happens if your entree is awful?  Do you get to order a 2nd entree?  or do you have to choose wisely the first time?

I see this as a win for Holland America. There is no way to lose.  If people order a 2nd entrees, there is an increase in profits and the upcharge was a success. If people chose not to order two entrees, there is less waste and the upcharge was a success.  The only way for the cruiseline to lose is with a decline in bookings.  I doubt many people will choose a different cruiseline based on this change.