Cabin Choice - Emerald Princess

Mikey0368

We recently booked our first cruise and we would just like a bit of advice about our cabin please. We've booked an inside cabin and our travel agent whittled it down to Riviera Deck, cabin 220.

Is that a good choice for an IF cabin or could we get better elsewhere? A quiet cabin is what we requested, we don't mind walking a bit on the ship.

Thanks.

I think that looks OK - there is a cabin above so you won't have foot traffic noise.  I quite enjoy being at the front of a ship.  The main thing to look out for is what is above you and if there are service areas, lifts and stairs close by which could cause noise.  That cabin should be good but I'll leave it up to others who have stayed in this location 🙂

It depends on YOU. :classic_laugh:

If you want quiet, check to be sure that there are cabins on the decks above (& maybe below). Also, some complain of noise if the cabin is a connecting cabin.

Do you know if anyone is prone to seasickness? If yes, you should book a midship cabin.

Do you want to be close to an elevator? Close to a dining room?

Cabins that are on the higher decks or the lower decks may experience more movement from the ship. Some don't mind, some don't like it.

We've found that we prefer aft cabins. And on the ships that have it...the cabins that are aft on Riviera or Aloha (depending on the ship) that have access to the "back door" that allows us to go to the aft pool or the buffet easily.

You're not going to know what you like until you've taken that first cruise.

BTW: welcome to Cruise Critic!!

Edited by JF - retired RRT

I personally prefer a cabin near the aft elevators. The bow has more motion and I find too far from the venues I enjoy. The most important thing has been addressed already, cabins above and below for the maximum quiet.

• Like 1

You will probably be ok if you don't get motion sickness.  If you do, you will probably feel more motion in this room than any other area of the ship.  I don't mind the Riviera deck as long as there is a room above my cabin.  

Have you ever looked into the obstructed OV cabins on the Emerald deck.  There are some really good choices (slight obstructions) there and you will still find some great deals there.  Now, that is really only if you aren't fond of the location up on the Riviera deck.  

On 3/9/2019 at 2:17 PM, JF - retired RRT said:

We've found that we prefer aft cabins. And on the ships that have it...the cabins that are aft on Riviera or Aloha (depending on the ship) that have access to the "back door" that allows us to go to the aft pool or the buffet easily.

Lots of folks like that area for the exact reasons you have stated!

However, I'm not clear on the configuration of some of those cabins. Do the 4 person cabins have the dreaded side bunks on the walls? If so, one must change the deck plan to show the cabins that can accommodate 4 passengers and then avoid those cabins. The OP asked about Emerald so on Rivera Deck only E736 - E735 are two person cabins. On Aloha Deck all the aft interior cabins are safe except the 4 that are most forward in that area - right up by the stairs. Those are 4 person cabins.

Edited by Thrak

On 3/9/2019 at 4:22 PM, Mikey0368 said:

We recently booked our first cruise and we would just like a bit of advice about our cabin please. We've booked an inside cabin and our travel agent whittled it down to Riviera Deck, cabin 220.

Is that a good choice for an IF cabin or could we get better elsewhere? A quiet cabin is what we requested, we don't mind walking a bit on the ship.

Thanks.

Since you don't mind walking a bit, R220 should would out well for you.  

Enjoy your cruise!  :classic_cool:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Justprettynpink said:

Our favorite inside cabins are the sideways ones...Can you bump up to the IC cabins? (R507,508, 514, 515)

They are a little bigger. The only draw back is that the door opens to right wear the bed is....

We are actually booked for 7 days in A507 on Golden this coming May. We wanted to try one of those sideways cabins. The Princess rep tried to talk me out of the cabin as it's under the pool deck but I'm not overly concerned. I had accidentally booked a 4 person cabin and, when I remembered to check, I wasn't happy so asked to change to the sideways cabin. We will see how we like it. After all, it's just 7 days which we consider to be quite a short cruise.

Edited by Thrak

• 2 months later...

Thrak

We are booked in A507, leaving in 6 days for Alaska cruise. Just wanted to find out if the cabin is noisy due to pool being above it. We have been in sideways cabins before and found them to be roomier. Except for fewer shelves in the closet area and yes, the door opening in a less private way as you enter the room,  we found it to be a nice and spacious layout. If you happen to see this post, can you comment on noise from above?

Hope you are having a great trip.

Years ago on our first Princess cruise (we had been on other cruiselines) we were on the Grand in a cabin immediately under the buffet.  All was good until about midnight when the cleaning crew arrived to clean the carpets.  They moved the tables out of the way by dragging them and the chairs they stacked.  Needless to say we heard it all just after midnight.  Next cruise on the Grand we asked for another quieter room.  The cruise person on the ship laughed and moved us one deck down saying she had heard it before. 

To the OP your cabin will be in the forward area (near the bow) where you will experience more motion and may be able to hear the ship hitting huge waves if the sea is rough.  The other problem is if they have to drop anchor.  The chain leaving the ship will make a loud noise usually early in the morning.  

On 3/10/2019 at 5:14 PM, Thrak said:

Lots of folks like that area for the exact reasons you have stated!

However, I'm not clear on the configuration of some of those cabins. Do the 4 person cabins have the dreaded side bunks on the walls? If so, one must change the deck plan to show the cabins that can accommodate 4 passengers and then avoid those cabins. 

The last 3 cabins on each side (Riviera or Aloha deck depending on the ship) do not have the bunk beds.

I like to use the Cruise Critic deck plans to find 2 person cabins. The dreaded bunk bed cabins are marked with a red dot. There are 6 on each side in the aft section.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking at this again as I'm a bit wary of being towards the front of the ship and possible sea sickness. We were on a boat trip in Italy a few weeks ago and I wasn't feeling too great when things got bumpy!

I've picked out A720 or B720 as alternatives to R220. Does that seem reasonable?

https://*****/deckplan-emerald-princess

Thanks.

Edited by Mikey0368
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey0368 said:

I'm looking at this again as I'm a bit wary of being towards the front of the ship and possible sea sickness. We were on a boat trip in Italy a few weeks ago and I wasn't feeling too great when things got bumpy!

I've picked out A720 or B720 as alternatives to R220. Does that seem reasonable?

https://*****/deckplan-emerald-princess

Thanks.

I would always do those aft cabins before I would take a forward one.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 1:22 PM, Mikey0368 said:

Thanks.

An inside cabin is fine, although my preference is a mid ship balcony or higher category.  And always on a deck that is between other passenger decks to avoid noise from public spaces..  

Why?  I am a light sleeper, and I do not want an always  dark windowless cabin.  It is claustrophobic issues for me.   And I enjoy seeing the ocean and ports of call in the privacy of my own balcony.   That’s just me.  YMMV.   But let your budget dictate your cabin category.  Also, do you suffer from motion sickness?  Something to consider if in an inside cabin.

Enjoy your cruise wherever your cabin is.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

On 5/26/2019 at 4:19 AM, erber said:

Thrak

We are booked in A507, leaving in 6 days for Alaska cruise. Just wanted to find out if the cabin is noisy due to pool being above it. We have been in sideways cabins before and found them to be roomier. Except for fewer shelves in the closet area and yes, the door opening in a less private way as you enter the room,  we found it to be a nice and spacious layout. If you happen to see this post, can you comment on noise from above?

Hope you are having a great trip.

I reviewed the cabin in the sticky thread at the top of this forum. There is a noise in the bathroom that never goes away. It's not really annoying but it's weird. There is some sort of main drain in the wall behind the toilet and there is the sound of water in the drain at all times. I asked the steward about it and he said it's "normal" for that cabin. We liked the closet configuration and the space in the cabin. We didn't notice any extra noise from the deck above - just that "odd" draining noise in the bathroom. We didn't hear the noise unless we were actually in the bathroom so it wasn't a big deal. Our steward was excellent and on the ball at all times. I told him upfront that we are very good about putting the "clean my cabin" thing in the door lock and that my wife liked to always have ice.. He always noticed when we left and the cabin was ship shape when we returned and the ice was full. He noticed our bottles of wine on the shelf and wine glasses magically appeared and were replaced each day.  I think you will enjoy the cruise and the cabin.

Thanks, Thrak.

We did enjoy the cruise and the cabin. The noise was a white noise sort of and I believe it has something to do with pool equipment above. It did not bother us. The cruise was fantastic.