Is there a scale on Explorer?

kjbacon

Yep, fitness center definitely has one.  Not sure about the cabins.  I was depressed when I got home from my last cruise; my pants felt tight so I went to undo my top button...and remembered I was wearing sweats!!!   :classic_tongue:

DeepFreeze - for luggage, my daughter showed me a portable travel scale that I keep in my backpack when I travel - makes packing a LOT easier.  Hook the strap around your suitcase handle, lift the T-bar on the scale, see what your suitcase weighs.  Was accurate and lightweight.  About $15 on Amazon and it sure saves the airport repacks and/or excess weight fees.  Highly recommended!!

For medical reasons, I need to consistently monitor my weight - not sure if you are also in that category, or just want to make sure that the sea air doesn't shrink your clothes 😀.

If you need to monitor your weight, a couple of things to be aware of - unless the ship is at port and not moving, the weight shown may not be truly accurate. What I usually do is weigh something at home, such as my hiking boots, and use that to determine the accuracy of the measurement.

gnomie :classic_smile:

13 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Upper suites do have scales but most suites do not.  The scale in our suite was in kilograms so I had to do some math.

Quick math - 1 kg = 2.2 lbs

3 hours ago, gnomie1 said:

What I usually do is weigh something at home, such as my hiking boots, and use that to determine the accuracy of the measurement.

My hiking boots gained 10 pounds on our last cruise.  I almost threw them overboard...

3 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Upper suites do have scales but most suites do not.  The scale in our suite was in kilograms so I had to do some math.

TC@, Next time check under the scale (bottom) should be a button to press and change to pounds. Rick

Your weight will never be accurate on any ship at sea certainly and not even in port.  The ship moves and you will not get a steady weight like in your doctors office or at home where nothing is moving.  You wil get a lot of variations.  On one cruise the scale said I gained 5lbs when in fact I lost three when I got home and went to the doctors office.

Eating healthy and moving are the key to not gaining too much weight.  We have seen people at buffets piling their plates like it’s their last meal.  Nobody will starve.

The key to it is move and take the stairs if you are able to and cut back on fatty entree’s and of course alcohol is just adding empty calories.  Moderation is the key.  When we cruise our diet is the same as at home.  Many healthy items to eat and not deprive yourself.

If you use the scale on the ship while in port and check it again while in port, it will fairly accurately show any increases or decreases in weight (even if the initial weight is not correct).  I found the scale in our suite to be quite accurate (when I checked it against my scale at home).  

In my opinion, when on vacation, passengers should do whatever the heck they want to do (diet, eat a lot, etc.). My DH always gains between 7 and 10 pounds and loses it within 2 weeks - not a big deal.  Some of the weight gain is due to salt and water retention.  

In any case, the TS wanted to know if there were scales in the suite and I believe they have their answer.

Dined with the ships doctor on another cruise and he told me those scales are worthless but you can get some idea what you are gaining or losing.  His statement was the ship is never completely balanced even while in port which will have an effect on a scale reading.

Just adding information to the ship scale subject and not off topic.

• Like 1

Wait, you mean that I have to eat healthy and exercise instead of gorging at the buffet to lose weight? LOL, sorry, had to poke some fun!

We aren’t as concerned with perfectly accurate weight numbers, rather we find it helpful to be able to follow trends on vacation. 

On vacation, we aren’t looking so much to lose but to not gain. We’ve both lost a lot in the last 6 months after the doctor read us the riot act.

22 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Thank goodness!!   I can't "do" pounds... and now I know thanks to RonRick how to switch the scale!!  (we create confusion and chaos on US golf courses - we switch the cart's GPS system to metres.  Great for us but not great for the next golfer who needs yards!)

First trip to the gym on any line I carry a eyeglass repair kit screwdriver and calibrate the scale. They are mostly off by 3-5 lbs. Most people behind me love it. It takes maybe 10 seconds. This is for the mechanical type.

11 hours ago, rvmike said:

First trip to the gym on any line I carry a eyeglass repair kit screwdriver and calibrate the scale. They are mostly off by 3-5 lbs. Most people behind me love it. It takes maybe 10 seconds. This is for the mechanical type.

For those not mechanically inclined, I assume that we can accept the weight that the scale in the gym shows - knowing that it is off 3-5 pounds and see how much you gain (or lose).  

Those numbers will scare you for sure.  We have a well calibrated doctors scale at home.  We both weighed ourselves on cruises and they were way off for the better we did not gain any weight when we got an accurate reading.  The ships scale showed us gaining weight which was not true.  We were exactly the same weight pre- cruise when we returned home after 34 days.

4 hours ago, krm55 said:

You can ask for a scale. We have always received one, just ask. 

Had not thought of that but it is a good idea.  As mentioned above, as long as the scale isn't changing itself all of the time, your weight at the beginning of the cruise and at the end will show any weight gains or losses - even if the beginning number is off 3-5 pounds.  

I don't think that I would enjoy a vacation if I could not splurge a bit - not necessarily eating tons of desserts but trying things that we do not typical eat that may be a bit higher in calories than we would typically eat.  I gained 7 pounds on our 20 day cruise - lost 4 pounds in 5 days with 3 more to go.  No big deal.  When we get home we're pretty tired of eating so the pounds melt off quickly.

Note:  For anyone that likes "mocha" desserts, try the no sugar added coffee ice cream and add some chocolate sauce on top.  Not entirely low in calories (or fat), it is likely better than most desserts.

This is only my second post and I can't seem to find the right threads, sorry.  My upcoming Canary Island cruise will be my 6th with Regent but I can't seem to keep the ships straight and speaking of amenities- are there cotton balls and qtips in the bathroom?  Everyone who posts has made our cruising so much better - thank you!

6 hours ago, slocruising said:

This is only my second post and I can't seem to find the right threads, sorry.  My upcoming Canary Island cruise will be my 6th with Regent but I can't seem to keep the ships straight and speaking of amenities- are there cotton balls and qtips in the bathroom?  Everyone who posts has made our cruising so much better - thank you!

Yes, there are cotton balls and Qtips in the bathroom.