Silver Muse/Silver Shadow, Live (almost) from Mar 15 - Apr 2

WesW

1 hour ago, WesW said:

JP, her flight has landed. Will wait about 15 min then walk around the lounge hoping we spot each other.

For some reason, it took us forever to get off the plane. Not sure what that was about. Wes, I must have missed you by minutes.

Next time we shall have to rendezvous aboard a ship 🛳 

• Like 1

Shucks, that's disappointing! Was looking forward to a Unibok sighting! I guess she shall remain more like a "unicorn" - something that is rumored to exist, but never seen... 🦄

According to flight tracker, Wes is well on his way now, 4.5h into the flight with another 10 to go. I should be done with work already this afternoon by the time he lands. He's taking a northerly route over Western Russia. If he looks out the right window, he should see Moscow! Probably safer that way, as he direct route would have flown over Eastern Ukraine.

Update from 🦄 

6 hours into the 13 hour flight from Doha to Montreal, we diverted to Stockholm because of a very ill passenger. We dumped a bunch of fuel so we could land, got him off the plane and into an ambulance, and now we’re airborne again. The captain thanked us all for our understanding and compassion, and said we likely saved his life by stopping. In all my years of travel, that’s a first for me.

JP, if you’re tracking, it's QR 763.

Glad you like your new moniker!

Wow! Quite an adventure. Hope all goes well.

Flight tracker does indeed show that you detoured to Stockholm. Now you're heading out, over the Atlantic, just leaving the coast of Norway. 

You should have nice views of Greenland as you pass over in 2h or so. Take some pics if the weather is clear. I got some nice shots years ago, coming home from Reykjavik. 

Looks like a 5PM ETA in Montreal. I'll be home by then and I'll welcome you home with a toast. 🍷

17 hours ago, Unibok said:

Oh no! Any rumors about what they might join? 

No idea at this point, but nothing would surprise me.

Personally, I don't think Qatar will leave OneWorld as they've making these threats since 2015.  And, whether they remain a part of the alliance or not, the company will still benefit from the operations of OneWorld thanks to their strategic investments in OneWorld carriers; LATAM (10%), Cathay Pacific (10%), and IAG's Aer Lingus, British Airways, and Iberia (20%).  They also recently invested in China Southern (5%) who oddly enough may soon be joining OneWorld. 

American and Qantas can't stand Qatar's CEO, Albar Al Baker, and have plotted against Qatar's growth and expansion plans.  Or, I should say American's CEO (Doug Parker) and Qantas's CEO (Alan Joyce) can't stand Albar Al Baker.  American went so far as to refuse a direct investment by Qatar for 5% of the airline.

12 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Was looking forward to a Unibok sighting! I guess she shall remain more like a "unicorn" - something that is rumored to exist, but never seen... 🦄

Thankfully, ZQTchas can confirm she's much more than a mere unicorn.  😄

8 hours ago, Unibok said:

In all my years of travel, that’s a first for me.

It's all a bit disconcerting, especially to those of us who have no medical training and are completely incapable of providing any assistance whatsoever.  It's such a helpless feeling.

While I have had several instances of medical emergencies, thankfully I've only experienced a diversion once and it was last fall.  We had just passed over Las Vegas at cruising altitude heading east when the pilot suddenly turned south.  I remember looking at my wife and telling her something was up that we weren't privy too and we were diverting.  After about 10 minutes flying south we went into a holding pattern that would make O'Hare proud.  At that point the pilot informed the cabin he was dumping fuel, which he did for a good 20-minutes in the desert, before turning back to the north for a final approach and landing.

Hopefully, the passenger taken off in Stockholm makes a full recovery and the rest of your journey was uneventful.

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2019 at 2:41 PM, Unibok said:

Oh no! Any rumors about what they might join? 

Most think it is just a threat.their CEO first made the threat in 2015,repeated it in 2017 and again late last year.The Qantas CEO 4 months ago told him if he was unhappy just to leave but they are still in One World.

His major beef is with AA because the Americans target Middle East airlines-but the other 2 major alliances with United and Delta obviously wouldn't be any different.

As well Qatar has invested in IAG(BA and Iberia),Cathay and Latam all belonging to OW.

And finally with Qatar still being locked out of Saudi Arabia and the UAE they really need to be in an alliance.

• Thanks 1

Interesting stuff about the alliances. I've certainly heard that the US airlines complain about the Gulf airlines vis-a-vis the government subsidies, which they say allows the Gulf airlines to gain an unfair price advantage. Wonder how it will all shake out.

Hope that our world circumnavigators are safely home and catching up on their lost sleep. We still have 6 weeks to go before our Ukraine trip, so back to work for me!

Back home safe and sound after @ 22 hours on the road. Sure did like the Shadow. I had forgotten how nice she was. For any interested, I can really recommend the Crowne Plaza Changi airport right at terminal 3 as a place to stay pre or post cruise, especially at the club level. Great lounge with lots of good food and drink and the hotel is very convenient to all terminals.

Glad to hear you made it home well, dougburns!

Our flight continued to be eventful, according to the crew. In addition to the medical diversion to Stockholm, we also had a passenger with severe hypertension, another with nose bleeds, two vomiting children, another with a fever, and an unwanted groping situation in which a passenger had to be moved to another seat. Many of the crew were relatively new, and certainly got a work out. Provisions were strained, as they had not anticipated the additional 3 hours of plane time.

But all is well that ends well. My DD picked me up at the airport, we breezed through the Canada/US border crossing, and were home by 9:15 pm. I'd forgotten how deeply I can sleep in my own bed, and look forward to doing that for the next 6 weeks!

Wes, hoping you are home safely and smoothly.

Edited by Unibok

Unibok; glad to made it home safely after your aviation challenge.  And you're precisely right we must link up on a Silversea voyage.

Liptastic/Jean; thanks very much, our pleasure to share.

Made it home after about 31 hours, no more 8 hour layovers--ever.  Tho, Qatar delivers an exceptional in flight BC experience. Love their ala carte menu (food, fine wine) delivery on demand anytime during your flight.

So, look forward to our next Sivlersea voyage on the Silver Moon in November 2020.  We have multiple long time Silversea cruise critics joining us on this crossing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Unibok said:

Our flight continued to be eventful, according to the crew. In addition to the medical diversion to Stockholm, we also had a passenger with severe hypertension, another with nose bleeds, two vomiting children, another with a fever, and an unwanted groping situation in which a passenger had to be moved to another seat.

Unibok, when I showed by DW your update she said, “OMG!  And, this is on the good airline?”  😂. Thought you;d get a kick out of that.  Glad you’re home safe and sound.  Enjoy those deep sleeps that we tend to miss while traveling.

Wes - glad you’re home safe and sound.  I bet your pups were super excited to see you, as well as Ida of course.  p.s. Got your message and will be placing a call soon. 👌

Edited by Stumblefoot
  • Like 1

Brian, yes, the b's (bella & bailee) went hysterical when I opened Ida's car door at the airport international terminal pick up. Bella screamed for ten minutes and gifted 1000 (well felt like that many) kisses.

Super exciting that our Moon crossing list is growing--thanks to your leadership.  Tho,

a tad disappointed that the Shadow cruise consultant forgot to transfer our Moon Crossing on board booking to our TA.

24 minutes ago, WesW said:

Brian, yes, the b's (bella & bailee) went hysterical when I opened Ida's car door at the airport international terminal pick up. Bella screamed for ten minutes and gifted 1000 (well felt like that many) kisses.

Super exciting that our Moon crossing list is growing--thanks to your leadership.  Tho, a tad disappointed that the Shadow cruise consultant forgot to transfer our Moon Crossing on board booking to our TA.

Good to read it was an exciting arrival.  And, yes, I would be disappointed too.  I know the Shadow's Cruise Consultant changed on the voyage ZQTchas and Unibok were on from SIN to HKG last month.  Hopefully your TA was able to get the booking re-routed.

On 4/4/2019 at 7:38 PM, WesW said:

Super exciting that our Moon crossing list is growing--thanks to your leadership.  Tho,

a tad disappointed that the Shadow cruise consultant forgot to transfer our Moon Crossing on board booking to our TA.

I'm pretty sure there will be no problem in transferring now you're back home. I expect you already have?

Belated thanks to Wes and Doug for the commentary and glad it mostly went to plan and enjoyable. 

I'd also tentatively been looking at the TA, but its now officially kicked into touch as being too close to our previous sailing by my wife. We are now closing in one of two long distance sailings and of 13 and 14 days - one of which has a few of your ports of call on these trips. We'll see how that pans out. It's difficult whilst both still working to juggle things particularly avoiding such things as end of the year accounts and mundane things like this which will stop but not for another 8 years at least! But this trip would be squeezed in if something I'd mentioned to you works out. It's now live, so can only hope it comes off. If not, then I'll settle on 3 cruises in 15 months and wait until the 2021 sailings are out! Life isn't so tough really.... but we all crave for a bit more!

Thanks again for the blog info....

• Like 1

Yes, Les our TA took care of the Moon on board booking transfer.

You're welcome, both Doug and I just enjoy sharing our on board experience. Plus, it was very special to share time on board with Doug--he really enjoys being at sea (he probably has more time at sea than any SS Captain) but relishes being a guest vs an Officer on board.

Hope you can squeeze in the Moon Fall 2020 crossing--we are going to have tons of fun with many seasoned Silversea freqent floaters.

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:58 AM, Unibok said:

Our flight continued to be eventful, according to the crew. In addition to the medical diversion to Stockholm, we also had a passenger with severe hypertension, another with nose bleeds, two vomiting children, another with a fever, and an unwanted groping situation in which a passenger had to be moved to another seat. Many of the crew were relatively new, and certainly got a work out. Provisions were strained, as they had not anticipated the additional 3 hours of plane time.

They must have thought that I was going to be on that flight.  I have attended many medical emergencies onboard flights over the years, but Qatar holds my record for most in one flight with 5.  And I had to fill out a complete report on one as we had to administer medication. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RachelG said:

They must have thought that I was going to be on that flight.  I have attended many medical emergencies onboard flights over the years, but Qatar holds my record for most in one flight with 5.  And I had to fill out a complete report on one as we had to administer medication. 

EGAD!!! 

• Like 1