Regent's Crew Welfare Fund

Regent’s Crew Welfare Fund

I particularly hope that Regent HQ reads and acts on this post.

I have no desire to start a huge debate about tipping whilst on board but feel I do want to comment on a specific point.

All gratuities are included within the cruise fare on Regent.   If I have received a very high standard of service across the hotel department (housekeeping and food & beverage) then I am willing to donate to a global fund that benefits all the crew.  Silversea has such a fund but does not advertise it to passengers and I only learned about it from reading Cruise Critic posts.

During my recent cruise on Explorer, I asked a passenger, who travels regularly with both Regent and Silversea, whether the former had a crew welfare fund and he affirmed this was the case but, like Silversea, this was not advertised. 

Later in the cruise, I asked an officer about this but he replied that such a fund did not exist.  In fact, he said there had been a collection on the ship some time previously to raise money for a crew member who had a severe personal problem.

I therefore asked the General Manager, the fountain of all such knowledge, to opine on the matter and he confirmed such a fund did, indeed, exist.  I asked why the officer I had asked was unaware of this and he failed to provide a satisfactory reply.

On the last day of the cruise, I went to Reception to donate to the crew welfare fund by way of a charge to my onboard account.  I was, however, told this was not possible because the donation had to be made in cash.  The reason given was that there was no code on the system for such a donation!

Two points.

First, for security, I do not carry more cash around the world than I need.  I budget for anticipated cash outlay on the basis that expenditure over about $30 will be charged to one of my credit cards.  This meant I had insufficient to make a donation by cash because it had not been budgeted for.

Secondly, if there is no code on Regent’s system for such donations, how can they keep track of the money received and disbursed?  I was however told that the HR department would issue a receipt for monies given.  Surely, it should be a simple matter for Regent HQ to add a code to a computer system?

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Indeed not a good thing for the CWF.  Yes, Silversea and Crystal do this and you can add it to your final statement.  Many travel agents give you onboard credit and we never spend it all and what’s leftover should go to the CWF.  Many people do not carry a lot of cash these days for obvious reasons.  We are more becoming a cashless society.  Maybe this is why people hand out gratuity’s at the end of an all inclusive cruise.

1 minute ago, MalbecWine said:

Indeed not a good thing for the CWF.  Yes, Silversea and Crystal do this and you can add it to your final statement.  Many travel agents give you onboard credit and we never spend it all and what’s leftover should go to the CWF.  Many people do not carry a lot of cash these days for obvious reasons.  We are more becoming a cashless society.  Maybe this is why people hand out gratuity’s at the end of an all inclusive cruise.

As to the onboard credit, if you received it from a TA or source other than Regent, you can claim the cash at the end of the cruise and use it for the CWF.  Or you can take it with you.

Seems like Regent is paying lip service to the so called "Crew Welfare Fund". Sorry, but if the crew is openly accepting ( and in some case soliciting) tips , management must know about it and be fine with it. If the crew's salary is partly subsidized at least by some pax, that helps management keep a lid on salaries paid to the staff. Sorry, call me cynical, that's the way I see it. 

2 minutes ago, MalbecWine said:

Does not apply to all OBC and even travel agent credits.  We opt for a rebate check for hard cash not credits.  

As with any OBC, you can check with the reception desk as to whether it is refundable in cash.  Some people are under the impression that they have to spend all their OBC before the end of the cruise when, in fact, this is not necessarily true.

Do not assume that making a donation to the CWF on your bill will offset any unused OBC's.  Im not sure about Regent, but many other lines, including Azamara, will show the donation to the CWF on your account, but will not offset an unused OBC.  I used to always donate most, if not all, of my OBC's to the CWF.  After being burned once, I make sure to ask what the policy is.

• Like 2

On our recent Navigator cruise, we had an unused portion of an OBC from our TA.  We donated some of it to the Crew Fund by simply asking at Reception. We received a very nice letter thanking us for our donation while we were still on board. As an aside, we never felt any hint of the staff "soliciting" tips, or being disappointed when they did not receive any.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MalbecWine said:

This is true host Dan.  The CWF should put donations on your final statement.  On another luxury line we get a letter of appreciation for the donation.

I think that was our experiences on Silversea however when one of the staff mentioned that the crew was looking forward to a new sofa and pool table for the crew quarters, I remember being annoyed. I'm all for the $$ being spent for parties and fun stuff and family emergencies but not for providing furniture and furnishings for the employees that should already be being supplied . I'm wondering if these donations on Regent are being used in a similar fashion. We have thought a lot about this subject and have come to the conclusion that if all gratuities are included with the fare, then that must mean that all the staff including the behind the scenes people are also included. We have resumed leaving an envelope for our cabin crew on departure morning and will leave it at that.

There seem to be a number of mysteries about the Crew Welfare Fund especially if an officer doesn't even know it exists.  Regent says the following on its website:

If guests feel strongly about expressing their gratitude to the crew, they should be encouraged to make a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund at the Purser Office. This money is utilized for crew parties and events.

If the Crew Welfare Fund is only used for crew parties and events that seems odd to me.  I would guess that guests might be more likely to contribute to it if it were to be used for crew problems such as emergency transportation, crew family support, medical expenses, etc.

Is Regent's description of the CWF accurate or is this another website misstatement?

We always donate to the crew welfare fund, and each time we've received a nice note of thanks. (This was on the Navigator. )  The one time we had a butler, he too thanked us personally, so I'm assuming the crew is aware of donations.  The butler told us that in addition to funding crew events, the money is also used to get crew members home in an emergency,  as when his brother was critically injured in an accident in India. 

I agree that Regent needs to clarify their no-tipping policy, and also clearly define the purpose of the crew welfare fund.  And the sooner, the better.

I agree, if Regent really has a "NO" tipping policy it really needs clarifying.  A company like Regent needs to put that in bold print in all their sales literature.  Then they need to let all employees know that if they accept any tips they will be terminated on the spot.  That will be the only way to make this work.  It's unfair to the passenger to enforce a policy/rule of Regent.  If this many people are talking about this, then Regent needs to step up and let the passenger and crew know what is expected.  Until this is done--it's a free for all.

19 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

I agree, if Regent really has a "NO" tipping policy it really needs clarifying.  A company like Regent needs to put that in bold print in all their sales literature.  Then they need to let all employees know that if they accept any tips they will be terminated on the spot.  That will be the only way to make this work.  It's unfair to the passenger to enforce a policy/rule of Regent.  If this many people are talking about this, then Regent needs to step up and let the passenger and crew know what is expected.  Until this is done--it's a free for all.

We completely agree with you and this goes for other inclusive lines as well.

First, we have never felt any pressure for tips on our Regent cruises.  We usually sit with the same wait staff when we dine in CR during the cruise and have never felt like anyone was looking for a tip.  If one of the head waiters or managers stops by, anytime during the cruise, it’s always to see if we were happy with the meal and service.

We have never read the Regent inclusion of “Pre-paid Gratuities” as part of the all-inclusive price, as a “NO tipping” policy.  In the days before “all-inclusive” there were recommendations for a daily “gratuity”, by position.  We never felt that we “must” tip that amount, it depended on the service provided, and if service was above and beyond, then we would tip accordingly.  Likewise, we have always seen the “Pre-paid Gratuities” offered by Regent, and other all-inclusive lines, as the basic recommended amount, like the earlier per-day gratuity.  While we are always aware that the gratuity is included in the fare, if someone on Regent goes above and beyond, and really makes our time on-board extra special, we have no problem with, or hesitation about, providing an additional gratuity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juno56 said:

Here's a recent CruiseCritic article about tipping on a non-tipping cruise ship: https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2432

We will do as we please with exceptional service about tipping and it won’t be in front of any guest.  Here we go again on this subject.  Nobody needs to tip at all.  This is a personal decision and nobody onboard needs to know.

1 hour ago, Eno-Bob said:

First, we have never felt any pressure for tips on our Regent cruises.  We usually sit with the same wait staff when we dine in CR during the cruise and have never felt like anyone was looking for a tip.  If one of the head waiters or managers stops by, anytime during the cruise, it’s always to see if we were happy with the meal and service.

We have never read the Regent inclusion of “Pre-paid Gratuities” as part of the all-inclusive price, as a “NO tipping” policy.  In the days before “all-inclusive” there were recommendations for a daily “gratuity”, by position.  We never felt that we “must” tip that amount, it depended on the service provided, and if service was above and beyond, then we would tip accordingly.  Likewise, we have always seen the “Pre-paid Gratuities” offered by Regent, and other all-inclusive lines, as the basic recommended amount, like the earlier per-day gratuity.  While we are always aware that the gratuity is included in the fare, if someone on Regent goes above and beyond, and really makes our time on-board extra special, we have no problem with, or hesitation about, providing an additional gratuity.

I agree with you, if service is super I also tip.  But many people on the board feel no tip period.  So I was just say if that is the rule Regent needs to enforce the rule or state gratuities included, additional gratuities excepted.  This will stop the guessing about tipping.

12 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Yep - here we go again - stating that "you" (meaning any poster) will tip and that it is none of us business.  However, when the expectation is set up, it becomes our business.

Not going to argue - just stating a fact.

I agree with you, but as I was saying Regent really needs to do something and state what the policy about tipping is and enforce it.  That will end this.  But until Regent does something it will be the same old stuff----------

4 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

And there you have it.

If Regent has truly an "No Tipping Policy" how come they just doesn't day so. And as you accurately point out "Tell their crew/employees they will be fired if they accept any tips.'" 

But that is not Regent Policy and individual tip are readily accepted by the crew.

Regent Management is well aware of this apparent discrepancy in  what their passenger "think' the policy is, as this subject has been discussed Ad nauseam for at least 10 years on a regular basis on this Cruise Critic. And I will tell you why it will not change. For the simple reason that Regent is not going to upset a passenger who want to tip over and above what  gratuity they perceives in included in the fare.  (Nor should they.)

J

Edited by JMARINER
spelling

I find this disturbing.  We have never tipped except for a big thank you and smile.  If this becomes normal it will make us look not how I want to be viewed.  This needs to be addressed by management....please. 

15 minutes ago, JMARINER said:

And there you have it.

If Regent has truly an "No Tipping Policy" how come they just doesn't day so. And as you accurately point out "Tell their crew/employees they will be fired if they accept any tips.'" 

But that is not Regent Policy and individual tip are readily accepted by the crew.

Regent Management is well aware of this apparent discrepancy in  what their passenger "think' the policy is, as this subject has been discussed Ad nauseam for at least 10 years on a regular basis on this Cruise Critic. And I will tell you why it will not change. For the simple reason that Regent is not going to upset a passenger who want to tip over and above what  gratuity they perceives in included in the fare.  (Nor should they.)

J

And I agree, I'm just saying Regent should state that.  Like you say when I first started reading CC (Regent Board) I'd say 90%-95% of Regent passengers say the Regents policy is no tipping---and state when someone tips it's wrong and makes it bad for the rest. That's why I say Regent should step up and state in print (NO TIPPING OR EXTRA TIPPING OK). I've only been cruising Regent for a few years now.  I feel when people (crew) do an upstanding job and make my time away from home so much better - I want to thank them with an additional gratuity, always in private and always with a thank you.  I've done this even on other cruise lines when the gratuities are an add on.  I do ask for additional services because we cruise too cruise, excursions off the ship aren't important to us.

Disagree with tipping on Regent. Period. For what what we are paying for a Regent cruise, I expect outstanding super service from everyone. Those individuals who choose to tip are part of the problem . They are changing expectations of the crew that will ultimately change level of service they provide.

2 minutes ago, wcsdkqh said:

Disagree with tipping on Regent. Period. For what what we are paying for a Regent cruise, I expect outstanding super service from everyone. Those individuals who choose to tip are part of the problem . They are changing expectations of the crew that will ultimately change level of service they provide.

You're blaming the wrong people, Regent has to have a policy and follow that policy.  It's their ship, their employees, their policy.  Regent should be responsible - not the cruising public.