Would you pay to be a chair hog?

We actually like sitting one deck above the pool and never have a problem finding chairs.  First couple times we cruised I wanted to be close to the pool, the music, the action but got over that quickly, let me stare at that ocean and chill for a week.  

Sitting near the pool, especially on sea days, just doesn't seem worth the hassle to us. The last time we bothered trying was on Liberty a couple of years ago. Even then, it was only because we were back early on a port day and it wasn't crowded in the solarium.

Only one sea day on our upcoming Freedom cruise, so I'm guessing that will be a madhouse. So no, I wouldn't pay to reserve a chair.

The sad part is, no one would need to if more people were considerate enough to actually only take chairs they're using. I know. I'm tilting at windmills there.

• Like 3

There is no reason to sit in front of the pool unless you have children to watch. It's not even enjoyable with kids splashing and screaming I wouldn't pay for that.  The deck above the pool where there is usually a bar and a view of the ocean is ideal for me and I have never has a problem finding a spot.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Chandris Cruise Line, NCL (before they started the downhill slide to budget cruises), Sitmar, HAL - that was the practice on cruise ships.

🤔 I thought Chandris became Celebrity

I could see this happening. If people are willing to pay for a good or service, chances are a company is going to charge for it. People already will pay for priority access show seating, the key, etc. I have no doubt people would pay for this. 

What we all really want is a perfect system for chair hogs. Unfortunately, one doesn't exist. I could see this existing.

I feel like someone needs to invent timers on lounge chairs - if a chair is seen empty, and attendant can "start" the time for 1 hour.  At one hour, there would be a light or some signal that it had been vacant for more than 1 hour, and it would be easier for them to walk around an see which chairs have been vacant for more than the 1 hour time limit.  And then easy - they remove the contents from the chair at that point and the chair is up for grabs.  And if there was Bluetooth integration, pool attendants could control them remotely, too!

I may have to quit my job and come up with a prototype for this...think they'd go for this on Shark Tank??  😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, K8inMN said:

I feel like someone needs to invent timers on lounge chairs - if a chair is seen empty, and attendant can "start" the time for 1 hour.  At one hour, there would be a light or some signal that it had been vacant for more than 1 hour, and it would be easier for them to walk around an see which chairs have been vacant for more than the 1 hour time limit.  And then easy - they remove the contents from the chair at that point and the chair is up for grabs.  And if there was Bluetooth integration, pool attendants could control them remotely, too!

I may have to quit my job and come up with a prototype for this...think they'd go for this on Shark Tank??  😉

Yes!  Do this 🙂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, K8inMN said:

I feel like someone needs to invent timers on lounge chairs

I will volunteer to go on the show with you and dress up as the chair hog. I have been watching them long enough that I think I could pull it off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We are the opposite of chair hogs, we get 2-3 chairs for our family of 5 no matter where we are.  We realize that all of us won't be sitting on the loungers so why take more than needed.  I don't know if I would pay for a chair or not as we tend not to hang out at the pools on the ship only on beaches.  I have a condition that makes me limit my sun so I need to be able to get some shade.  I do hate when we go for chairs anywhere and there are unused chairs saved.  This happens everywhere that lounge chairs are used on land or sea. 

HELL YEAH I would pay for a chair or a pair!!!!  I always wondered why in the world they haven't started that already!  BUT, that being said, I want my chair in the solarium of Freedom class or lower and by the Main Pool on Oasis class.

I wish you could actually pick your chair when you choose your cabin, lol!  I'm not kidding, just like the airlines do for seats.  Yes, I was hoping it was part of the Key program or I wish they had something to what Princess has in the Sanctuary but alas, they do not.  The solarium is too covered and too forward for me on Oasis class but I'd love the Main pool area.  I love the sun and go on a ship for the pool and the sun (of course along with everything else!).

• Like 2

I don't think it is a bad idea as it would pretty much stop the practice of reserving chairs.  If they sold reservations they would stop the hogs as that would force more sales.  All they would have to do is number some chairs and you would have that chair for the cruise.  You could even ask to have it placed in a certain area, not everyone likes to sit on the first level.

• Like 2

“Chair Hogs” are only a problem if you let them be a problem.  If I come out on deck and can’t find a chair, I simply ask one of the attendants for help.  Without fail, they immediately clear an unoccupied chair and we’re all set.

As for paying a fee, I do this in Vegas all the time.  Heck, Memorial Day weekend, we’re going to blow a couple thousand on a cabana for a day or two!  Granted, there are eight of us and that will include plenty of beverages and food.  But the convenience of having a dedicated space and not having to worry or hassle is totally worth it.

I could see more specialized areas with either a fee or a stateroom category.  It makes sense!

• Like 1

I know I wouldn't pay for a chair in the sun all day. I always find something on the deck above the pool areas in the front or back. Occasionally I do like to sit near the pool and my only gripe is not people who abandon their stuff but people who take up a row of maybe 5 chairs in the shade and 5 chairs in the sun. This is ruder than someone who just may be in the bathroom or pool

Paying for chairs in preferencial locations is analogous to paying to not have to wait in line at a Disney theme park, or turning the HOV lane into a toll lane on I-95.  Is sharing something we no longer need to learn, practice or teach our children?  Monetizing people’s selfishness is not new but it is getting more pervasive.

And we wonder why it’s so hard to get along nowadays. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, El Abuelo said:

Paying for chairs in preferencial locations is analogous to paying to not have to wait in line at a Disney theme park, or turning the HOV lane into a toll lane on I-95.  Is sharing something we no longer need to learn, practice or teach our children?  Monetizing people’s selfishness is not new but it is getting more pervasive.

I think that’s a kind of hopelessly idealistic perspective.  And I also don’t think those things necessarily equate to poor lessons for our children. That’s all in how it’s delivered.

On 3/15/2019 at 12:12 PM, K8inMN said:

Or, how about an hour timer for all chairs.

You swipe your SeaPass, it displays your name and a count down for an hour and that is yours.  After an hour, if you are there, you have to swipe again.

This will help keep one person running up every hour to swipe every chair being held.

Heck, better, put a weight sensor in every lounger, if nobody sits in if for at least 10 minutes every hour, it goes up for grabs.

On 3/16/2019 at 3:58 PM, El Abuelo said:

Disney Fast Passes are free. 😄

Universal, Busch Gardens, and Cedar Fair parks do have a paid quick access setup.

On I-95 the express lanes are toll free for carpool/HOV.  Paid for others.  At least in the DC area.

On our Serenade cruise last week the attendants did put tags on empty chairs, and removed items after 30 min. 

They only did this around the pool but not the area in the shade...arghh. Many people prefer the shade too, and were chair hogs.

Glad to see them enforcing rules for a change.